Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
09 Legacy GT, 08 Legacy 2.5i, 09 Outback 2.5i
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family here has an 08 Legacy 2.5i Limited, a 09 Legacy GT Limited, and my son's 09 OB 2.5i SE. He and I have both observed that the hood on the OB appears to be a lot heavier. Not when pushing it up but just holding it in an open position/angle it appears to be significantly heavier on the hand/arm. I know the hoods are different stampings but is there any other easy explanation why the OB hood appears to be so much heaver?

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Yes the NA hoods weigh a freaking ton. The hood on my XJ/Cherokee is way lighter. The XT (turbo) hoods are aluminum.

The steel hoods need to be stout. The top steel skin is very thin. You notice the large creases. They and the structure beneath are necessary to prevent fluttering of the metal at higher speeds.

The turbo hood does much better. The punch out for the scoop adds significant rigidity and with the hood and structure below being aluminium they are significantly lighter.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There seems to be a significant difference between the 09 OB and the 08 2.5i hoods - both steel. Maybe the diff is the because the OB has the added chrome edge on the front which makes for extra weight. I had expected the GT hood to be lighter since it is AL and such.

Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
The OB hoods also have slightly different stampings over the Legacy hoods. According to Subaru, the hood for the OB fits only OB. The OB hoods also have those slight "ridges" that run parallel to the fenders, where the Legacy hood is flat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 06 2.5i has a nice light Al hood while my 08 XT has a heavy steel hood.
Bingo - found the reason thanks to your post. I was working on the assumption that only the GT and OBXT had the AL hood and that our 08 Legacy 2.5i limited was steel like the 09 OB 2.5i. Simple check with a magnet just now tells me it is not steel. The steel hood on the 09 OB 2.5i is a lot heavier than the AL hoods.

Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
Aluminum on my 05 LL Bean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts