Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited (Venetian Red)
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm sold on the following options:

- Moonroof Package/Backup camera.

* I'd rather buy my own navigation for the car, maybe even get a new head unit like some here have done (that easy?).

I haven't decided between the 3.6 or the 2.5 but I do want a Limited model for the leather, dual zone and all weather package.

Any arguments for any other options that I should get? Any arguments that I don't need a limited? Are the cloth seats as comfortable (important)?

Also, how are the 2nd hand (under 10k) prices looking like compared to new?

No arguments needed about 2.5 vs. 3.6 I'll decide that with a test drive and math (cost benefit) the other options are a little more subjective though.

I'd also like the following (I don't have to have these, but would really enjoy them):
- Push button start/Remote start.
- 100W power in back seat.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
You can get very nice aftermarket leather for about $1200 from Katzskin. Style and colors are virtually endless. AWP is available on any OB. That leaves the Dual Zone Temp as the only option you want that is Limited specific. However moonroofs on Premiums are like hens teeth. Sounds like the Limited is your best option. There is really no comparison between an under 10k used car and a 2013.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lightly used Outback prices are insanely high. Just buy new. Get SAP or EyeSight if your budget permits.
Thanks for the headsup about used :)

It's not so much that I can't afford it, it's that I don't see why I'd spend the money on it. My budget goes past a fully equipped 3.6 limited, can you give me a reason (it might be good enough for me or not) to get SAP or Eyesight (which I'd have to get nav first and I really don't want it...). Eyesight sounds great for highway though.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Ltd trim if you want leather/auto-ac/HK, do you need it?
<O:p</O:pAftermarket Nav, on a Ltd you’ll be paying for the HK (loss/hit difference will be relative to your Selling Price).<O:p</O:p
Used what, 2013/10K, doubtful you’ll get a good deal (warranties aside).<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can get very nice aftermarket leather for about $1200 from Katzskin. Style and colors are virtually endless. AWP is available on any OB. That leaves the Dual Zone Temp as the only option you want that is Limited specific. However moonroofs on Premiums are like hens teeth. Sounds like the Limited is your best option. There is really no comparison between an under 10k used car and a 2013.
Hmm, that's a good suggestion. I'll look and see if I like them and if I want to go through that. Thanks for the suggestion. Moonroof is a must though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ltd trim if you want leather/auto-ac/HK, do you need it?
<O:p</O:pAftermarket Nav, on a Ltd you’ll be paying for the HK (loss/hit difference will be relative to your Selling Price).<O:p</O:p
Used what, 2013/10K, doubtful you’ll get a good deal (warranties aside).<O:p</O:p
Do I need it? I don't need an Outback. I can go on driving my 2001 Mitsubishi until I get kids (another year or so).

We're getting an Outback for two main reasons: Comfort on long trips (my wife has fibromyalgia and needs a comfortable ride to be functional the next day) and space in the trunk for a large dog crate.

Secondary: AWD for road trips (hiking, camping etc.) and fuel economy.

Now, I probably don't need leather, but I really really want it. Do I need dual zone? Yes. Do I need HK? Yes.

Thanks for the advice and questions.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a Premium with the moonroof, which took a while to find in the color I wanted. Go Limited and Try out the Nav to see if it works for you... I'd personally go aftermarket for a better stereo/in dash nav. Only other things to add are the trim options like deflectors, bumper cover, wheel well arches, body side moldings etc. If you didn't need the leather seats, I'd say go premium and add in the aftermarket audio.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Have a 2013 SAP with the Remote Start. The key less start feature causes the Remote Start to be one-way and severely distance limited (less than 75 feet -v- the 300++ feet for the normal remote start that is also two way). The remote start is the only complaint that my wife has - and I hear about it on a daily daily daily basis. I would go the with key start and 2 way remote (different setup) as it is much more functional. On my 2010 OB, I was able to remote start it from about a block away even when it was in the parking garage three floors above street level - now I have to be able to see the car to remote start it, not good thing on a cold, snowy day. The HACV on the Limited model is excellent - especially if the temperature is less than about 37 degrees - the front/rear defrosters automatically turn on when remote started - really helpful when it has sleeted/ice rained.

The 100W power unit may not be worth it n the long run. Search the internet for a 12v to 100v inverter with the same 100W limitations and it may be had for a lesser price/cost. See this for ElCheapo model: http://www.walmart.com/ip/XOvision-XO650-600W-DC-to-AC-Power-Inverter/15779978

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
I am hopefully in the market for a outback in 6 months (job pending) and I am definitely looking at eyesight. I am kind of thinking of waiting on seeing what if anything SOA does for changes in the MY2014. I am hoping that they combine the SAP and eyesight packages like they are doing on the 2014 forester. I may have to look at the Forester in that case more closely.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
So I'm sold on the following options:

- Moonroof Package/Backup camera.

* I'd rather buy my own navigation for the car, maybe even get a new head unit like some here have done (that easy?).

I haven't decided between the 3.6 or the 2.5 but I do want a Limited model for the leather, dual zone and all weather package.

Any arguments for any other options that I should get? Any arguments that I don't need a limited? Are the cloth seats as comfortable (important)?

Also, how are the 2nd hand (under 10k) prices looking like compared to new?

No arguments needed about 2.5 vs. 3.6 I'll decide that with a test drive and math (cost benefit) the other options are a little more subjective though.

I'd also like the following (I don't have to have these, but would really enjoy them):
- Push button start/Remote start.
- 100W power in back seat.
No sense buying used unless your looking at older generation in the 08 range given used prices are nearly the same as new. Do not order add on option items via the dealer! Purchase them online for a big discount and add them your self or even pay a local shop to put them on for you - you'll still save money! Unless you can get a car with various options on it that "you do not want" and the dealer is willing to knock the purchase price down. Hint dealers have a big leeway on pricing when it comes to those little plug in - stick on option items but will charge you up the yinyang for them if you order a car with them.

Remote start you want the factory one - after market offerings have had a spotty performance history with the new subarus for some reason.

The inverter - why? do you have kids? If not pass on it and simply pick up a simple inverter at your local electronics store. I never want a cheap inverter installed hidden in my car given they can fail and are very cheap handy items to have in a mobile format meaning you can use it in other cars - or traveling over seas etc. Mounted in your car not so much.

We have a premium cream cloth interior 2010 with 44,000 miles on it and a Limited with cream leather interior. The kids NEVER go in the cloth seat car without the seat covered in a sheet. The leather seats they sit on and easily wipe clean when needed.

If your a camper - active sports type go with the leather they wipe clean easily the cloth seats not so much.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No sense buying used unless your looking at older generation in the 08 range given used prices are nearly the same as new. Do not order add on option items via the dealer! Purchase them online for a big discount and add them your self or even pay a local shop to put them on for you - you'll still save money! Unless you can get a car with various options on it that "you do not want" and the dealer is willing to knock the purchase price down. Hint dealers have a big leeway on pricing when it comes to those little plug in - stick on option items but will charge you up the yinyang for them if you order a car with them.

Remote start you want the factory one - after market offerings have had a spotty performance history with the new subarus for some reason.

The inverter - why? do you have kids? If not pass on it and simply pick up a simple inverter at your local electronics store. I never want a cheap inverter installed hidden in my car given they can fail and are very cheap handy items to have in a mobile format meaning you can use it in other cars - or traveling over seas etc. Mounted in your car not so much.

We have a premium cream cloth interior 2010 with 44,000 miles on it and a Limited with cream leather interior. The kids NEVER go in the cloth seat car without the seat covered in a sheet. The leather seats they sit on and easily wipe clean when needed.

If your a camper - active sports type go with the leather they wipe clean easily the cloth seats not so much.
What a trove of good info. And yes, I'll look into 3rd party inverters (this is for camping etc. where I do need it). And yes, the reason the Subaru attracted me is because I'm outdoorsy camping type. Just another reason to get my wife to be happy with the leather. I like the feel, smell and cleanability, she thinks it's a stupid option like the non-hubcap wheels...

Kids are imminent, we're going to start trying around the same time we buy this car (coincidence).

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
What a trove of good info. And yes, I'll look into 3rd party inverters (this is for camping etc. where I do need it). And yes, the reason the Subaru attracted me is because I'm outdoorsy camping type. Just another reason to get my wife to be happy with the leather. I like the feel, smell and cleanability, she thinks it's a stupid option like the non-hubcap wheels...

Kids are imminent, we're going to start trying around the same time we buy this car (coincidence).
Gen4 2010 and newer OB if you plan on hauling kids. You need the seating space for the car seats! I have two kids 3.5yr old and a 10month old. They sit center and behind driver seat leaving a 3rd seat open on passenger side for a parent, grand parent, or on road trips we have used it as a cramped changing table in a pinch. When the rear hatch is packed full of gear your changing table options are limited ;-)

Fantastic car for what your describing. We are on our second Swiss Army knife of cars the subaru. We had a 2001 legacy limited GT for 11yrs it served as the active adults no kids triatholon transport, the sailboat racing tow rig and regatta vehicle and the epic snow storm ski trip machine. ZERO problems never left us stranded! 180,000 miles of pure abuse - sold it and bought the 2010 wagon. The wagon sees the same use only now it hauls two kids + the dog at times and some times even a grand parent along with the tent trailer in tow. Really can't go wrong with it the limited comes with all the must have items and the rest you can add per your preference cheaply with after market stuff. HK stereo is worth it but the media hub thing is not.

Our freebie credit card awards points gift options had a duel screen DVD player choice. Our oldest loves it simple velcro strap to the head rest. When the youngest gets old enough he'll get the the second screen. I've fooled with the second screen and can install it on the rear head rest for rear facing kid given they bumped the age up and he's going to be facing rear longer than his older sister was. Fantastic cheap freebie add on! Simply plugs into the ciglighter socket in the arm rest then I tuck the power cord inbetween the hard seat back and the padded side of the seats making for nearly zero wires showing. Takes like 5 minutes to set up or tear down.

We camp a bunch the only time we use the inverter which is a sharperimage product very flat profile in a ziper pouch for charging laptop or ipad when on the go. We keep it in the glove box the flat profile makes it an easy fit in the glove box.

Key item!!! Nice roof top box I went with what is considered a narrow box by todays standards - but I wanted to fit two bikes on 54inch bars on both sides of the box. Down side its too narrow to fit the Phil & Teds big stroller. But that gets stood on its side in the back and held up with a bungie to the latch point in the roof leaving the rest of the floor open for gear. The old metal sided Coleman cooler goes opposite side of the trunk then duffel bags between. If the dog goes his bed goes over the duffel bags and he wedges in.

Packing picture of a trip without the roof box and dog.
SubaruOutback.org Member Galleries - Message
We had two ice chests on this trip and left the Phil&Teds at home taking the wagon instead strapped to the trailer deck. On the trailer is a 42X42 inch roof bag from Target. That had sleeping bags, camping stove, big bin of kitchen gear and some other bulky stuff towels, pillows etc. The kid back pack sitting out "Red" was actually in the back of the car sitting on top of everything else. Dog could have gone by simply putting the roof box on and moving gear from the hatch to the roof box. That trip was California Coast north of SF. 5 days Mendocino then on to Humbolt Avenue of the giants "Redwoods" We posted two tank averages of 26mpg for that trip. Trailer is 900lbs empty 12ft long 5ft wide.

Trailer is the prior model Lifetime tent trailer love it!! We use it all the time to haul house project crap and to take camping.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Oh 2.5L if your wondering. We spent 11yrs packed to the max with the prior 2.5 and found its limits many times. Never had issues once we knew the limits and never found power to be the limiting factor. The new Gen4 is superior to the old one regarding gear hauling - people hauling and towing ability the 2.5 isn't the limiting factor in this case either. Your cooling capacity under heavy loads in hot temps is the end game for both the 2.5 and the 3.6 not the lack of power. In case you were wondering

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gen4 2010 and newer OB if you plan on hauling kids. You need the seating space for the car seats! I have two kids 3.5yr old and a 10month old. They sit center and behind driver seat leaving a 3rd seat open on passenger side for a parent, grand parent, or on road trips we have used it as a cramped changing table in a pinch. When the rear hatch is packed full of gear your changing table options are limited ;-)

Fantastic car for what your describing. We are on our second Swiss Army knife of cars the subaru. We had a 2001 legacy limited GT for 11yrs it served as the active adults no kids triatholon transport, the sailboat racing tow rig and regatta vehicle and the epic snow storm ski trip machine. ZERO problems never left us stranded! 180,000 miles of pure abuse - sold it and bought the 2010 wagon. The wagon sees the same use only now it hauls two kids + the dog at times and some times even a grand parent along with the tent trailer in tow. Really can't go wrong with it the limited comes with all the must have items and the rest you can add per your preference cheaply with after market stuff. HK stereo is worth it but the media hub thing is not.

Our freebie credit card awards points gift options had a duel screen DVD player choice. Our oldest loves it simple velcro strap to the head rest. When the youngest gets old enough he'll get the the second screen. I've fooled with the second screen and can install it on the rear head rest for rear facing kid given they bumped the age up and he's going to be facing rear longer than his older sister was. Fantastic cheap freebie add on! Simply plugs into the ciglighter socket in the arm rest then I tuck the power cord inbetween the hard seat back and the padded side of the seats making for nearly zero wires showing. Takes like 5 minutes to set up or tear down.

We camp a bunch the only time we use the inverter which is a sharperimage product very flat profile in a ziper pouch for charging laptop or ipad when on the go. We keep it in the glove box the flat profile makes it an easy fit in the glove box.

Key item!!! Nice roof top box I went with what is considered a narrow box by todays standards - but I wanted to fit two bikes on 54inch bars on both sides of the box. Down side its too narrow to fit the Phil & Teds big stroller. But that gets stood on its side in the back and held up with a bungie to the latch point in the roof leaving the rest of the floor open for gear. The old metal sided Coleman cooler goes opposite side of the trunk then duffel bags between. If the dog goes his bed goes over the duffel bags and he wedges in.

Packing picture of a trip without the roof box and dog.
SubaruOutback.org Member Galleries - Message
We had two ice chests on this trip and left the Phil&Teds at home taking the wagon instead strapped to the trailer deck. On the trailer is a 42X42 inch roof bag from Target. That had sleeping bags, camping stove, big bin of kitchen gear and some other bulky stuff towels, pillows etc. The kid back pack sitting out "Red" was actually in the back of the car sitting on top of everything else. Dog could have gone by simply putting the roof box on and moving gear from the hatch to the roof box. That trip was California Coast north of SF. 5 days Mendocino then on to Humbolt Avenue of the giants "Redwoods" We posted two tank averages of 26mpg for that trip. Trailer is 900lbs empty 12ft long 5ft wide.

Trailer is the prior model Lifetime tent trailer love it!! We use it all the time to haul house project crap and to take camping.
Describing where our family is headed as well :) You're about 4 years ahead! Did you get the tow hitch installed aftermarket? I want it asap, don't know which is cheaper though. Also, I'm pretty much sold on the 2.5, haven't driven either yet though. We'll see. One of the reasons we want large cargo is primarily for fitting our dog crate in there at 36 x 25 x 27 inches and then secondarily for camping. You seem to be really plugging that car full! But I'm guessing it is the kids stuff that pumps it up (no experience here...)

We do road trips pretty often (from Houston), Okla, Louisiana, Colorado, and Arkansas and New Mexico soon.

I've seen the roof top boxes being quite helpful for storage. I guess I'll find out how much I can stuff in there. It doesn't look like it takes much.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Describing where our family is headed as well :) You're about 4 years ahead! Did you get the tow hitch installed aftermarket? I want it asap, don't know which is cheaper though. Also, I'm pretty much sold on the 2.5, haven't driven either yet though. We'll see. One of the reasons we want large cargo is primarily for fitting our dog crate in there at 36 x 25 x 27 inches and then secondarily for camping. You seem to be really plugging that car full! But I'm guessing it is the kids stuff that pumps it up (no experience here...)

We do road trips pretty often (from Houston), Okla, Louisiana, Colorado, and Arkansas and New Mexico soon.

I've seen the roof top boxes being quite helpful for storage. I guess I'll find out how much I can stuff in there. It doesn't look like it takes much.
13yr old Red Doberman the first kid 75Lbs. We ditched his crate years ago. He's most happy when he's wedged in tight on top of his bed. Think layers LOL - I keep him below the seat back height and most of the time I toss the doggie chest strap / Seat belt on him and hook him to the rear tie down just to help keep him put if we get in a wreck.

Our roof box is 30inches wide at the base and 6ft long with about 18inches height. With the kids I pack the packnplay in there along with various bags of supplies, toys, diapers etc. Dog supplies food gets tossed in there also. It holds a surprising amount if you pack the softer stuff around one or two large items. Two golf club bags will go with the shoes to give you a general idea of the roof box space. When space is tight I will lash the folding camp chairs to the cross bars outside the box.

The standard packnplay will also lay across the floor against the seat back with the phil & teds ride folded and stood on its side. Phil & Teds travel bed will fit ontop of the pacnplay and the standard metal sided coleman ice chest will fit long way front to back with drain facing the bumper leaving room for med sized duffel bags laying on the floor between the stroller and the ice box. Dog bed center works great. That gives you a pretty good idea of the major items. I need to take some more detailed picts next time we pack. Years and years of packing for triatholon trips with the Legacy we more or less pack the same way with the wagon only the dog goes behind the back seat vs on the back seat.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hitch is a hidden hitch I installed it. Etrailer.com

I installed it using the same method Subaru installs theirs. Easy to do for anyone thats turned a wrench a few times. Just takes time and patience can't rush it and there are a few steps you can't do out of order or you more or less end up installing it twice LOL. I installed a second Hidden hitch on grandmas car in December this year. She retired and wanted a hitch mounted bike rack she's very active tennis, golf and cycling. Same exact install minus my minor mistakes on the first one that added time to the project. Took me 2.5hrs to install hers.

The hidden hitch hangs down more than the stock or the other fancy hitch - however the OB hidden hitch is nearly 4inches higher off the ground than my old Landcruisers with 34inch off road tires on it. LOL Haven't had any issues dragging it and if I do I would rather drag the heavy hitch bar vs tearing off the soft plastic bumper cover which is what would go next if the hitch didn't touch first.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I haven't checked to see if the dog crate would fit. I suspect the top half of the crate might contact with the slope of the rear glass. Even just road trips no camping gear - kids stuff + dog crate for sure you need a decent sized roof box assuming the crate will clear the rear glass. When the kids are little you can fit medium sized duffel bags in the foot wells in the rear seat. Up till just recently my duffel and the wifes duffel often were on the floor behind the front seats.

We have a soft sided cooler we wedge between the two front seats just behind the arm rest we pack snacks and such for the kids MANDATORY item! Easily accessed from the front seat etc. Even with the rear facing car seat sitting center - the cooler has room to rest just under the car seat and can be opened in place.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Keep in mind all this crap has been collected over many years!!! LOL

I would say for you first thing you will get the most bang for the buck is a nice roof box. Ours is a Thule bought in 2004 but they pretty much sell the same box today at about a 4X mark up. Look at your local sports outfitter stores find out when they do 20% sales and plan on getting one then. The nice boxes with the fast release clamps are worth the money given you will use the box for a VERY long time. The easier it is to pop off and toss on the more you will like it. Takes me about 5 minutes to toss ours on single best thing we spent money on for the cars.

Mileage hit is about 1-3mpg pending speeds and winds. Worst case 70+mph with big head wind your looking at 3mpg hit. Nakid roof I've seen a 5mpg hit just from high freeway speeds and strong head winds.

Two summers ago we did Yosemite with box and two bikes on the roof. Speeds were 60-65mph the first half of the trip we actually had a tank average of 30mpg though that had lots of down hill coasting. Trip home was high speed 70mph and we posted the next tank average of 25mpg. Gives you some basic ideas on mileage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts