Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a copy of Consumer Reports just to check out the latest car ratings. The subaru outback is listed as the best overall value in the midsized SUV catagory.

It always makes me happy when I see that I have chosen a car that has high ratings...but then again that is I why I research the he11 of the cars I am thinking of buying...I want to get the best possible vehicle in the vehicle catagory that I am thinking of purchasing from

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
I saw that a few days after I bought mine. It was like finding out that the Christmas present from your Aunt has a double sawbuck stuffed inside.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
LOL - even back in late 2009 when after much research my Mother told me her decision on a new car was the new Legacy - then shortly after there were really good consumer reports out on subaru and she forwarded them to me and said - apparently my research matches what the pro's have figured out ha ha.

After borrowing her 2010 Legacy for a weekend the wife and I decided it was time to replace our 2001 legacy with a new subaru the space improvement was huge and the only reason we bought new. Very glad we did! But I miss the scrappy road handling of the old Legacy!

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
Midsized SUV?? I thought the OB was a wagon....;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I never try to figure out CR. And only pay attention to their frequency of repair figures. Their opinions about the details of cars can be quirky, to say the least.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R
510 Posts
I have never had much confidence in Consumer reports. To me they have always been very anti american and there are no good american made cars. I have had a Cadillac and a couple Oldsmobiles and a Chevy Diesel that were very good vehicles.
But in the case of the Outback I am ashamed to have to admit that I side with them on this one. I have a 2012 3.6R Outback and so far it has been a great car.

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
I'm sure you already know this, but it bears repeating anyway: Outbacks are assembled in the U.S. from mostly U.S. parts under the same roof as the car with the highest percentage of U.S. parts. In other words, it's very American-made.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Midsized SUV?? I thought the OB was a wagon....;)
..it used to be in terms of overall look and shape but they mutated it with this 4th gen and consequently it now looks crossover..ish. I still consider it a wagon though. It has the space and functionality of one.

I consider it an SUV because wagons are lame. Those who consider SUVs lame can call it a wagon. Win/win.
...wagons are no longer lame. They used to be in the 80's, but now they really rock! Look at the new VW/Audi allroad as just one example. Plus they are really functional. So far, in 30+ years of driving/owning cars, the best car I have had is our TDI wagon. I expect to keep the OB long enough to be able to say the same about it...I'll let you know in 2019 ...lol

I never try to figure out CR. And only pay attention to their frequency of repair figures. Their opinions about the details of cars can be quirky, to say the least.
...me too because that is what car ownership satisfaction boils down to...and they use that part of their reviews in their overall ratings...but it is still nice to see in print.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts