Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Man. w/All Weather Pkg ( H4 4EAT)
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/474113-careless-actions-transmission-problems-help-needed.html

Yeah dropped the AT pan and swapped out 2 of the red solenoids: https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/414-01055972.html?utm_content=YN&utm_term=2001-2004+Subaru+Outback+Automatic+Transmission+Solenoid+Genuine+01-04+Subaru+Automatic+Transmission+Solenoid+2003+2002&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu9770NK12gIVBMDICh2u5wo1EAQYAiABEgIfP_D_BwE&ad=47433970452

180 each at the dealer, broke my bank and surprisingly they had this part in stock but nonetheless was happy. One question to ask is amount one drive ability issue. Filled up the car back with fluid, changed the filter while I was at it and put in a new gasket for the drain plug. The car shifts somewhat "harsh" then it did before the transmission problem arose. I was wondering if that came to being the car being low on atf? When the pan was dropped and filled her back up I actually OVERfilled the trans so we got a special tool used to take fluid out usually for brake master cylinders and sucked some fluid straight from where the dipstick hole is. My professor said its hard to justify the right level because the trans is at somewhat of an angle but told me that the car should be fine if not will add fluid so its full. Will being low on ATF cause shifting problems if so how sensitive is it to the level (half a quart, more than 1 etc). I bought 3 gallons of atf at the autoparts store and have plenty left over but just wanted some suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
So after you run it a few hundred miles, drain and fill it again to get the system flushed out.

Overfilling can cause the fluid to froth up, creating air pockets and poor flow, but if you did not drive it for long distances or long periods and it was only a short time, it should be okay. The harsh shift may be due to the adaptable programming in the TCM which adjust shift parameters according to how the car is driven. These cars are mapped for soft shift to reduce the feel of gear changes, but in cases where the computer sees a drag or time lapse from normal, it changes the map.

So, if the shifting was affected by lazy solenoids, the TCM would have adjusted for this by altering its shift map. The same map will be running with the new, non-lazy solenoids. You can drive it like you normally do and wait, or, you can disconnect the battery to reset the TCM or get someone with a scan tool that will reset the TCM to default and it will relearn a shift map.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Man. w/All Weather Pkg ( H4 4EAT)
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So after you run it a few hundred miles, drain and fill it again to get the system flushed out.

Overfilling can cause the fluid to froth up, creating air pockets and poor flow, but if you did not drive it for long distances or long periods and it was only a short time, it should be okay. The harsh shift may be due to the adaptable programming in the TCM which adjust shift parameters according to how the car is driven. These cars are mapped for soft shift to reduce the feel of gear changes, but in cases where the computer sees a drag or time lapse from normal, it changes the map.

So, if the shifting was affected by lazy solenoids, the TCM would have adjusted for this by altering its shift map. The same map will be running with the new, non-lazy solenoids. You can drive it like you normally do and wait, or, you can disconnect the battery to reset the TCM or get someone with a scan tool that will reset the TCM to default and it will relearn a shift map.
alright sounds good. car was actually about half a quart low with fluid and then topped her off and it shifts even smoother now. will flush her in about 200ish miles or so. Now since she's all fixed all i really have to do is tackle my A/C blows hot in hot weather conditions issue and my car is back like new. and the trans mount also

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,318 Posts
Majority of the time, when the AC stops blowing cold it is a seal or a service valve leaking. I would suggest you just get an AC seal kit from the parts store, O'Reilly's or Advance Auto, and change all the seals then recharge it. The compressors on this gen hardly ever fail, just lose refrigerant.

·
Banned
2001 LL Bean
2 Posts
Majority of the time, when the AC stops blowing cold it is a seal or a service valve leaking. I would suggest you just get an AC seal kit from the parts store, O'Reilly's or Advance Auto, and change all the seals then recharge it. The compressors on this gen hardly ever fail, just lose refrigerant.
How's that INTERCOOLER treatin' yah these days?

>:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts