Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to this article, the Subaru Outback is the 10th least stolen vehicle from the 2016-2018 model years, according to a study of insurance theft claims conducted by the Highway Data Loss Institute. It has a reported relative theft-claim frequency of 22, with 100 being average among all vehicles.

I came across this Indiegogo campaign for the Pebblebee Found GPS. It seems like a good and cheaper alternative to a LoJack. From what I've read from a quick google search, LoJacks cost anywhere from $700 to $1000.

What do you think? I just bought two on the Indiegogo campaign. After you buy it, they sent an emails saying you can get a lifetime unlimited data for $120. I'm tempted, but wondering what others think as as far as drawbacks and things I'm not considering.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since they are so boring that even car thieves avoid them why bother doing anything?
I live in an area that has consistently been in the top 15 in the nation for vehicle theft, which includes prolific thieves who target Subarus (I'm not even joking). Plus, I'm not sure that there is anything particularly special about an Outback that causes it to have a lower theft rate, other than there is less of them than other cars. It looks like in mountainous states, Subaur Legacy, Impreza, and Forester make it into the top 10 stolen vehicles quite frequently. 2016 Hot Wheels Report. 2017 Hot Wheels Report (search for "state").

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
I believe nearly all Gen 5s have an equivalent LoJack system.

In even did a video experimenting with it recently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe nearly all Gen 5s have an equivalent LoJack system.

In even did a video experimenting with it recently.

Great video! I did not really know what Starlink did since I just got my '19 Outback. I don't think my wife's '15 Forester has it, but I could be wrong. $149/yr is quite a bit!

If my Gen5 was stolen and I did not have an active subscription to Starlink, could I just sign up then to find my vehicle?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
Great video! I did not really know what Starlink did since I just got my '19 Outback. I don't think my wife's '15 Forester has it, but I could be wrong. $149/yr is quite a bit!

If my Gen5 was stolen and I did not have an active subscription to Starlink, could I just sign up then to find my vehicle?
Based on previous posters on this site, yes.

There is also a 50 percent off coupon I found that works.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,512 Posts
I actually supported the indiegogo funding for pebblebee ...it has so many uses...and we have so many dogs...4...that I thought we could use it. I never thought of the car idea. I was thinking luggage...especially since we’ve had luggage left in Barcelona by an airline...like I said lots of uses...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
389 Posts
If it works as well as the Pebblebee key finder, you'll never see your car again.

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
289 Posts
If anybody steals mine I really don't want it back. When cars are stolen they are frequently subjected to abuse that does not show up immediately, especially to systems such as the transmission and other drive-train components. I would rather fight it out with my insurance company, then go buy a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,364 Posts
If anybody steals mine I really don't want it back. When cars are stolen they are frequently subjected to abuse that does not show up immediately, especially to systems such as the transmission and other drive-train components. I would rather fight it out with my insurance company, then go buy a new vehicle.
I was going to bring stolen vehicles up in that thread about 2020 Outbacks ending up in salvage yards already. Some of the ones where the damage doesn't seem like enough for it to be totaled could be a case where the car was stolen and possible severely abused.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts