Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 100K miles. Here is a description of the problem.

There is a metal clanking noise when pushing on the accelerating in Drive. If you take your foot off the accelerating, the noise stops. It sounds like someone hitting two pieces of light metal together. It isn't a grinding sound and it isn't continuous sound but happens every second or so with a break between the noise. The volume level of the noise doesn't maintain the same volume as it changes.

It doesn't happen when driving in reverse and accelerating.

It doesn't happen when drifting downhill when the gear is in drive.

It doesn't happen when drifting downhill in neutral.

I "think" the parking brake might also engage at times when the car is shifting into Drive and starts to move forward. I am not sure. This is my daughters car and she described the problems to me.

I appreciate any comments! Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm thinking wheel bearing or CV joint, possibly a u-joint in the driveshaft.

Why do you think the park brake is engaging? Is she feeling something like the brakes applying when it happens? The traction control will work the brakes if it sees feedback from the speed sensors that indicate wheel slip. (Back to the wheel bearing)

Does the engine have oil in it? I don't know about your daughter, but most cars I run in to that teens and young adults drive tend to get low on oil because they don't check it. I had one college student drove her Honda Civic for 5 years and never changed the oil; no one told her she needed to until her car came to me locked up.

Could be CVT related, but I'd have to hear a good recording of it to try to determine if it is?

I could come up with other things, but a bit more clarity on the noise would help.

The red light on the parking brake (emergency brake) came on when the transmission was shifted into drive. She would disengage the parking brake, shift it into drive and the red light would come on again. I don't think she knows if the brake was actually on since she didn't try to drive it with the brake light on. THANKS for your help, I really appreciate it!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts