Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Outback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Outback is often marketed to families due to its safety ratings. If you don't have a family, what sold you on the Outback?

·
Registered
2019 3.6 touring in wilderness green metallic
56 Posts
Its safety still sold me on it. I do care about my own safety, and bang for yer buck, including things like the technology, safety, comfort, ride quality, full time AWD, etc, I just didn't find better. I admit my heart really wanted a toyota tacoma, but seeing how much they lacked in numerous areas (ride comfort, lack of automatic 4wd in affordable models, things like that) while being even more expensive, I opted for the outback instead.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC 5eat , 2'' lift
1,351 Posts
Awd , ground clearance, adventure spirit, its best car for one person who likes those things too or for couple its even better as you can even sleep inside 3 people with comfort. For who like camping, traveling, exploring places on road its still like good street car and off road its very capable. Cheap to maintain, cheap parts, lots used parts. Easy to do diy repairs.
Most cars can be family cars for city and just couple are as good to do more then that for driver as well.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
226 Posts
Safety for me as well and easy ingress/egress. The outback is a great road car as well. I doubt I'll do any off roading, but I'm recently retired and my wife and I will surely be doing some road trips.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I thought it would be a good retirement vehicle after decades of driving SUV's. Plus my wife is a fan girl of Foresters.

I was wrong. Despite not having the need, I much prefer the roominess and comfort of an SUV.

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback Limited and 2010 Forester Premium
136 Posts
Great car for skiers. Compact SUVs (like the Forester) are generally good for that but the Outback has a few extra inches of length, which helps.

As a ski car, the Outback’s biggest weakness is not having the center of the rear seats fold down separately, like a few other cars. My wife had a 2001 Audi A4 sedan with this feature which was so useful for hauling skis and allowing 2 rear passengers back there.

Not a fan of rooftop boxes for ski gear, personally.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,453 Posts
I echo most of what has been statedby others as far as why I originally purchased my 2003 Outback new when I was 21 years old. I wrecked that one and got a 2010 Outback and very easily could have kept it to this day.

What sold me on my current 2018 Outback is the Eyesight safety system. I am not so much worried about my driving as much as I am about that of other people on the road.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
571 Posts
AWD, Off-road capabilities and it's NOT a Jeep

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,577 Posts
Empty nesters, but still I guess that sort of qualifies as "no family", as in "no kids" and seat is rarely used.

So my reasons are the usual ones for outdoor activities - primarily the "soft road" capabilities.

Plus my wife is a fan girl of Foresters.
Uh oh. :)

·
Registered
19 Outback 2.5i Premium
138 Posts
Single guy here. I traded in my Baja for an Outback for the space in the back for hauling my stuff and keeping it covered (R/C gliders and sailboats which can get very big). The other factors were AWD for going offroad and car camping, and finally safety. I liked the idea of the Eyesight and such, and the crash tests results. Which is weird, since I ride a motorcycle also. But when driving a cage, I do want the assurance of being able to survive a crash.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Single guy here as well. I've always had a secret desire to be a lesbian so the Outback seemed like a natural choice.
I thought that desire was fulfilled with a Forester. :devilish:

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
472 Posts
We would be driving another Forester if they had an upgraded power train. The 2.5 is slow after driving Subaru turbos. Love the 3.6.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru outback Special Edition
21 Posts
Safetly and Just the fact that its a station wagon.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
571 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,567 Posts
My driveway. I'm on my 5th since I moved to the house at the top of a rather small but impossible to get up driveway when there is snow on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2014 Outback 2.5i 6MT1997 Legacy Brighton 2.2L 5MT
33 Posts
It's a wagon with Subaru AWD, handles well in snow and ice.
Wagon = cargo space, car camping space.
Boxer engine maybe helps with handling? Lower center of gravity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am single, in addition I'm not a lesbian :)
the amount of stuff it can carry, the fact that it has a long roof good for carrying a kayak or canoe, and gets good mileage and is comforable

1 - 20 of 30 Posts