Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Have your engine in good tune first. Then try exhaust components, changing the air intake track can let the engine breathe better, then think about a pulley and such. Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Outback vs. GT performance

Along these lines, does anyone know the actually differences (other than body and basic suspension) between the Legacy GT wagon and the OBW? My 2002 OB Limited wagon is pretty sluggish compared to my 2000 GT wagon. Are the chips, transmission/differential gearing or tune different? I maintain both the same (same OEM plugs and filters, same oils and gas, etc.). The typical sales pitch descriptions such as "sport tuned suspension" are far too vague. Any ideas or actual data out there? Thanks

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
are you serious?

I've know how fast a civic is. What are you racing a 1.8l vs 2.5l ? A 2.0l vtec will blow the doors off an outback!! My wifes 97 Chev cavalier Z-24 2.4l is fast as **** and will walk all over my outback!! I highly doubt you beat anything unless there old Hondas out of tune!! mind you 90% have effects/wheels and a coffee can muffler and nothing else!

:eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Scooby's got it dialed !!!! The 2.5 i OB's are not known for speed... IMHO..the OB's are at their max weight vs HP ratings. Don't even think torque.there ain't none with an OB. They get from A to B using RPM's. Again, IMHO.the reason the '05 OB's went to an aluminum hood and rear hatch is because the added weight on the chassis maxed out the engine. NOW you could get a turbo or a 6 if you want off the line scatt. AND if I had to buy again..I'd still get the 2.5i.....it takes me over the Cascades admirably. I LOVE the 34 highway and 27 town mileage I'm getting. AND it ain't getting that by trying to blow off pissy little Hondas.....All the above is JMHO :)
NOT MYHO.......f I want to do some serious off the line blow smoke in your face stuff...I use my chipped '99 Diesel. If you mess with me in my Dodge......it'll take you a week to get the scum off your hood :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hmm I have to disagree, the 2005 2.5i's I've driven have loads of low down torque, afterall that's what the boxer setup is really good for, along with low centre of gravity etc. Off the line a 2005 2.5i will beat a 3.0R for the first few feet every time, as it has better torque at low revs. The Outbacks are also actually very light for what they are, compared to cars I would consider an equivalent package here in Australia. (Holden Adventra - 500kg heavier, Ford Territory - 350kg heavier).

Just my 2c worth of course!

I agree with Outback_legolas, I love changing people perceptions of the Outback, it's especially fun on a twisty section of road when the Outbacks AWD lets it put so much more power down than the FWD cars. Yes I have the 3.0R which has a lot of power, but it's beaten sedans and coupes with bigger engines & lighter weight time and again, it's fun as they usually get away from standstill better and think they've won, then the revs hit 4000 and the power doubles and whammo it's bye bye time real fast. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Needs Turbo

If one wants to take on the sport compacts, I'd advise the 2.5 owner to pack some sort of turbo or supercharger. One night, I decided to play "tag" with some sort of Honda and was left in the dust. The Honda took off, but the Outback, in stock 2.5 form, just couldn't get into powerband quick enough and without some sort of power adder, I think you're chasing tail lights. I wish that my Outback had the 250 hp motor in the Legacy GT I drove a few weeks back...Fast and and a real "sleeper." traintrackker

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Re: Needs Turbo

traintrackker said:
If one wants to take on the sport compacts, I'd advise the 2.5 owner to pack some sort of turbo or supercharger. One night, I decided to play "tag" with some sort of Honda and was left in the dust. The Honda took off, but the Outback, in stock 2.5 form, just couldn't get into powerband quick enough and without some sort of power adder, I think you're chasing tail lights. I wish that my Outback had the 250 hp motor in the Legacy GT I drove a few weeks back...Fast and and a real "sleeper." traintrackker
Sounds like you should've bought an Outback XT... same motor

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
I had my first 2.5 manual here chipped and had extractors fitted - made a big diffference to performance (with the added benefit of about a 20% improvement in fuel mileage as well. But it still only made the performance good (vs outstanding). You might need a turbo model.
GRANT (NZ)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Jondalar said:
Hmm I have to disagree, the 2005 2.5i's I've driven have loads of low down torque, afterall that's what the boxer setup is really good for, along with low centre of gravity etc. Off the line a 2005 2.5i will beat a 3.0R for the first few feet every time, as it has better torque at low revs.
But bear in mind that for some strange reason, our Outbacks in Oz with EJ25s make max. torque at lower revs than the US models (3,600rpm v 4,400rpm). I've got no idea why. Oz spec 2.5 autos also have shorter diff gears than overseas models (4.44 v 4.11). ;)

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
et's

ok let's let the the facts tell the story . Anyone willing to do the research and find 1/4 mile et's ,speed for outback's (NA/turbo) -vs- Honda or Mitsubishi for example. Actually maybe a VW passat wagon or Audi wagon then were getting realistic about weight to power ratio with AWD. I know the information is out there!

I personally like being the underdog . In this way I have to think harder to make power from nothing and cheap. After all that's the heart of hot rodding(my roots{blower})LOL! yea way back in the days before nitrous!

I remember having a '75 Chevy Monza 2+2 aka 'Grumpy's toy' with a 262cu V8 and I was beating guys with 350cu powered nova's !

Let's see someone turbo an outback to blow the doors off a Hemi wagon!!! Now were talking!!!:eek:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i gotta agree with Scooby and traintrakker...this thing is no drag racer, and i have the OBS, which is 2-300 lbs lighter than a reglr OB.

you have to remember that there are civics and there are civics.....yeah, i can whomp all over a single cam 1.6 esp with oh-so-magic trans....but a 2.0 VTEC or an Integra motor conversion, no way. the reality is that most of what you see out there really ARE big muffler and wing, no mas, rather than the hot rods you see in the car rags. most owners are more worried about color coordinated underhood accessories than actual speed equipment*. oh, and the decals......

*this goes back to my theory on such cars as the human equivalent of the ruffed grouse or anole lizard's brightly colored throat pouch, intended primarily to attract the female of the species, rather than as any sort of serious attempt to make em go stop handle :D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
OK just for fun some specs I found for 0-100km/h(62MPH): (from Subaru Australia website)

Legacy GT wagon manual 5MT 5.8s auto 6.8
Legacy 3.0R wagon auto 5AT 8.2s
Legacy 3.0R sedan Spec B (6MT) 7.0s
Outback 2.5i manual 9.8s auto 10.8s
Outback 3.0R (5AT) 8.5s (Wheels mag here got 7.6s)
Imprezza RV 2.0 (Outback Sport to the USDM) 5MT 10.2s 4AT 12.7s

Note these are just Subaru Austalia's claimed figures which have proven to be rather conservative. I agree these are no drag racers, they surprise/disappoint me in terms of getting off the line slowly when I'd have thought AWD would help that rather than hinder it..

However, it is FUN beating cars with much sportier pretensions. As for open road acceleration, the 3.0R at least is VERY quick, as I'm sure the 2.5XT would also be. It must have similar times to the Legacy GT wagon above.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
*G* and sometimes, no matter what you're driving, you can beat people off the line on response time alone. The worse vehicle you're in, the more fun it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
A couple of thoughts I've got concerning this are 1) the 2.5 motor I've got in the Outback lives at 3000 rpm....below that, well, I think the lil old lady from Pasadena can just take the bus and kick my tail. Again, I think either a turbo or supercharger is the cure here. Overall, I like the boxer motors as they are quiet, run smoother, and achieve decent economy once my foot lifts...They just need something to get them into the powerband quicker.

Finally, the Outback, in my opinion, really shines when it comes to keeping the car glued to the pavement. I've noticed that while on the interstate and approaching harsh corners, I can stay in the throttle far deeper than regular rear wheel drive vehicles and a good number of front wheel drive vehicles, as well. The AWD system Subaru uses is great. Those that don't have it really don't know what they're missing.
traintrackker

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
03h6wgn
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing