Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2017 Outback 3.6R with the common issue of the roof trim/molding gaping. I've read previous posts on this issue and I took it to the dealership and they advised there was a recall about 3/2017 to replace the molding but they need to remove the entire headliner in the process. However, I failed to find any comments on those who had both the rail moldings replaced.

Has anyone had this done? My car on has about 5k and this would be a pretty significant replacement. They need the car for 5 days. I am just concerned where in the long term this is a wise choice for me. Will the removal and re-installing of the headliner be done as well as when the car was manufactured? I live in Oregon so moisture is a problem and I worried that over time the gaping will increase and cause subsequent damage. My other Subarus never had this issue even after 10+ years of age.

·
Registered
2017 OutBack Premier, 2019 Forester Ltd, 2016 370z Rdstr
724 Posts
tessmc1023,

You get a lot of rain and if you have any concerns about water getting in .... do the recall. Obviously Subaru received some inferior trim pieces and they're willing to make it right.

I can tell you that to remove that headliner isn't a hard job, but it is time consuming. Same for the sunroof assembly and the roof rails. But once its removed, getting everything back in place is very easy (again time consuming). The only real concern is that the tech must keep his hands clean. Trying to clean the headlining nap may leave patterns that can't be removed even if its absolutely clean without any stains. (I have repaired several subie sunroof systems myself).

And yes, you won't be able to tell the headliner was ever removed (as long as they keep their hands clean handling the headliner.

Gene

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gbhrps

Thanks for the awesome feedback. I now feel much better about getting moldings replaced. The service guy did mention how important it was to not get any hand prints on the headliner.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts