Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
A couple things of note. Surprising how much damage from the collisions that they show, and also how close the Outback was on one of the RAB examples that they showed. This feature would have saved me $500 a couple months ago on our '11 OB!

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,313 Posts
A couple things of note. Surprising how much damage from the collisions that they show, and also how close the Outback was on one of the RAB examples that they showed. This feature would have saved me $500 a couple months ago on our '11 OB!
I almost sideswiped my other car backing out the garage and the blind spot monitor startled me and caused me to stop. Not sure if I kept going if the RAB would have kicked in. In any case, thank you eyesight.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
When I'm demonstrating RAB, I use a nylon pillar, so that if it DOES hit, it's not going to cause any damage. Where RAB (and Eyesight) have their limitations is if the driver applies inputs, it can over ride the automatic system. And all RAB systems are not the same. I think they've improved the Outback system from the '17 to the '18. The '17 would stop the car about 1" from the target at a reversing speed of 5 mph. When the '17 Impreza came out, it would stop at 4" from the target at up to 9 mph, and now the '18 Outback seems to do that. It may have just been a change in programming, but I've noticed the difference.

Note and disclaimer - my test results were done on a closed course, with me behind the wheel demonstrating a car to a customer, using a plastic traffic lane post. You may not achieve the same results as I do, especially if you touch the gas or brakes. >:)

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5i
55 Posts
The RAB (Reverse Automatic Braking) feature is what made me wait for 2017 Outback. It's already saved damage for me.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are countless false-positives where the system full engages when it doesn't have to, especially when backing in and out of sloped driveways. It scares the sh** out of everyone in the car, including myself -- but it's okay b/c there was a time it legit saved me from backing into a pole I did not see.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
Reactions: Sandbag

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
They used to make cars with winodws and pillars that were EASY to see out when backing, could see everything 360 degrees out ALL windows.

Maybe the engineers need to pull up some older cars to see how to clearly see out the windows, then design future cars so we can see out them again.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,325 Posts
They used to make cars with winodws and pillars that were EASY to see out when backing, could see everything 360 degrees out ALL windows.

Maybe the engineers need to pull up some older cars to see how to clearly see out the windows, then design future cars so we can see out them again.
what they NEED to make is a new SVX. with the cool windows. the ones you can not use at a drive up window to get coffee.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Here's a shot I took at the auto show looking out the rear of a new GMC Terrain from the driver's seat. That's one of those cars with a "stylish" flair that turns the rearmost windows in to pillbox slits.

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
Here's a shot I took at the auto show looking out the rear of a new GMC Terrain from the driver's seat. That's one of those cars with a "stylish" flair that turns the rearmost windows in to pillbox slits.
I see them on the street from the outside and wonder how you can see out the back. A lot of cars disguise the blind spots by tinting the windows dark, One thing I like about both my Subaru's is the visibility out the back end.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,380 Posts

The small overlap frontal crash test ratings are wreaking havoc with new designs, causing the high side window beltlines. Everything is starting to look like a 1930's gangster car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts