Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The little plastic plug is broken. I thought I read that it could replaced with a screw. It had full description and I think pictures. Can anyone assist with this? Thanks.

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I'd imagine a replacement " little plastic plug" is around $2.00 at a local Subaru dealership?

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
278 Posts
Pretty sure OP is talking about plastic knobs that break off of the rear cargo board...that hold the cargo board (or whatever it's called) onto the rear tailgate. Have seen a post as well...just don't remember where now. The guy used a 5mm screw with an 8.8mm head and 2 nuts on each side. Said he had to shave down the head a little for it to fit, then used a nut on each side of the plastic to hold it into place...

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
dbl pst

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
you can get assortments of those trim panel clips/buttons at the parts stores or from Amazon.

online dealers like subarugenuineparts.com or fredbeansparts.com too - those are more likely to match, but finding the part number could be tricky.

a local collision repair shop might have what you need too.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
278 Posts
Found the post...
I believe the OP is talking about the Rear Gate Board. The piece that attaches to the rear gate and helps cover cargo in the rear from prying eyes when the cargo cover is closed. The 2 little knobs on the ends are known to break off and are not replaceable without replacing the end pieces of the rear gate board or the entire rear gate board itself.
The thread that shows pics of the repair I was talking about previously can be found here:
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/25379-cargo-cover-panel-small-one-attaches-rear-door-2.html

Hope that helps...

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
ah!

I've bought 2 of our 03 covers. I THINK there's an issue if you store them vertically - I guess easier to damage the ends?

bought mine from ebay - not cheap. I told my wife I'm never buying another - I'll just carry a space blanket or something to cover cargo with.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,610 Posts
In case anyone wants a factory-replacement, you CAN buy just the end pieces with the nubs from the dealer. Granted, 99% of DIY projects are cheaper, but once you factor in time, it's a close gamble. With that said, a 100% new piece is not far off from new ends if you need both.

65556AG04AJC Pass side $34.90 MSRP
65556AG05AJC Driver side $34.90 MSRP
65551AG03AJC Rear board $69.99 MSRP

TONNEAU-COVER

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i
278 Posts
In case anyone wants a factory-replacement, you CAN buy just the end pieces with the nubs from the dealer. Granted, 99% of DIY projects are cheaper, but once you factor in time, it's a close gamble. With that said, a 100% new piece is not far off from new ends if you need both.

65556AG04AJC Pass side $34.90 MSRP
65556AG05AJC Driver side $34.90 MSRP
65551AG03AJC Rear board $69.99 MSRP

TONNEAU-COVER
Yup...I looked into that as well and found the same info. In the end, I decided to repair them the way I did because I think it is much stronger than the stock pieces. I think the stock plastic easily breaks when people load stuff into the rear that it taller than the gate board. When they close the hatch, it hits the cargo, flexes the gate board upwards, and breaks the weak plastic tabs.

With the repaired gate board in mine, my wife has inadvertently loaded stuff into the car and when I looked a it, the gate board was flexed up into a position that definitely would have broken the stock plastic tabs. But when I removed the cargo, the repaired gate board was no worse for the wear and still holding strong. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts