Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK fellas
I want to fit a rear step bumper protector to the aus outback (04/05),But i cant see the nearly $200 subaru want for there bit of rubber.
Anyone fitted an after market item in its place?Ive looked around on the net for a universal type proector but to no avail.
I may go to a rubber retailer and see what materials are available and make a patern to suit.
Any one done this.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Well Jimmbo I have the Subaru item, basically I figure you're putting something there permanently to protect the car, you don't want something that's going to turn to mush in a year in the sun and leave sticky rubber mess, damage to the car would be way more than $200... that's just my 2c worth of course, interested to hear what you come up with..:D

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5L
26 Posts
subaru makes one in japan thats says STi and looks sighly different. but i know it cost more then a stock one so that prob doesn't help

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to subaru today and can get one for around $160 I probly will pick one up for that,Its always good to have an option though.
Got a subaru bonnet protector today and fitted it,the bonnet catch had to be raise to allow the bonnet to lock due to the minimal clearance between the bonnet edge and the grill.Its looks good now.

·
Registered
'02 Outback Limited, '00 GT
25 Posts
Beware. Both my '02 OB and '00 GT wagon have the rear bumper protector but the one on the GT sits a little bit higher and thus hits the lower edge of the tailgate. Now I need to keep an eye on this edge of the tailgate, and clean/paint it periodically to keep the rust cancer in check. No problems with the one on the OB and a nice accessory to save your bumper.

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made this for our outback today,for its purpose I think it will serve well for the outlay as opposed to the factory item.Still have some finishing to do but am happy with the result so far.
What do you think,thinking of making a few for different cars.

Attachments

·
Registered
'04 OB Wagon
81 Posts
Hello from New Jersey, USA

Jimmbo,

I think you're onto something! The bumper cover looks like it came from the factory. Very innovative.

I like the dual exhaust on your new wagon.

Kurt

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Jimmbo, great job! It looks very well made, I guess my only negative comment is that the dots being in straight rows and the bumper being curved looks slightly less than ideal, if you used a material with the raised bumps in a staggered / diamond pattern this might look better.

Cheers,

Karl

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Jimmbo, it looks great especially as it matches your cargo mat. Good to also see a pram in the back.

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments boys, I had some material left over so i made 2 ,ive listed the 2nd one on e-bay to see if there was any interest,Ive had a few inquiries about them allready for different makes,Im doing a Impreza WRX,toyota corrolla,au falcon(aus car) within the next week and see what happens(Im on holidays so I got a bit of free time).
The fact that some car manufactures dont even make these for every car(if they do they are abit pricey) and older model car owners still want to protect their cars ,makes these protectors a possible seller.
As for material pattern there is a few different types available so I will see what looks best.
If any one on this site wants one let me know.

David

·
Registered
05 Outback XT Ltd.
26 Posts
I'm interested..

Don't know if it'd be cost-prohibitive to ship to East Coast US, but I am interested in one.

Alternatively, instructions/materials, how-to list would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: I'm interested..

jmelaw said:
Don't know if it'd be cost-prohibitive to ship to East Coast US, but I am interested in one.

Alternatively, instructions/materials, how-to list would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
john
What model outback do you have?
I can find out frieght if you like.I am selling these for $50 AUD + freight.

David

·
Registered
05 Outback XT Ltd.
26 Posts
MY 05 OB XT LTD. US Zip is 19312 US Cost & Shipping Cost? Thx.

thank you! now, to run to a currency converter....$50AUD= $USD??

·
Registered
04 outback 3.0R
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: MY 05 OB XT LTD. US Zip is 19312 US Cost & Shipping Cost? Thx.

jmelaw said:
thank you! now, to run to a currency converter....$50AUD= $USD??
John
Shipping to your door is $22.50 AUD(via Auspost) +
$50 AUD (Live mid-market rates as of 2004.08.04 05:25:44 GMT.
50.00 AUD
Australia Dollars = 35.1096 USD
United States Dollars
1 AUD = 0.702191 USD 1 USD = 1.42411 AUD)

For the protector strip,I have 1 in stock ready for despatch when you are.

let me know if you would like it .

Thank you

Jimmbo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts