Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it doesn't apply to this forum but maybe some here have an older OB or know someone with an older car. I did post this on the Gen 4 forum...

2003-2014 Subaru Outback recall:

Subaru is recalling 497,922 vehicles to replace front passenger airbag inflators. These same vehicles were part of a recall in which defective Takata airbag inflators received temporary replacements until permanent ones were available.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,990 Posts
This is old news:

Short version: In the execution of the earlier phases of the first WQR53 recall campaign, Takata supplied replacement airbags to the automakers for a while that were a like-for-like replacement - they had the old, problematic propellant in them. They didn't tell anyone initially until it was discovered in a congressional inquiry in June 2015. Surprisingly, even then everyone was allowed to use up the supply they had in stock, at which point they switched recalls over to the proper propellant.

Thus, the number of vehicles that will have to be done again is pretty significant. They initially divided into three zones on the initial WQR53 recall, i.e.
  • Zone A states and territories have a 6-9 year degradation estimate of the propellant and are highest priority for getting replacements: Alabama, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, Peurto Rico, Samoa, Guam, Saipan, US Virgin Islands
  • Zone B states and territories have a 10-15 year degradation estimate and are second priority: Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, DC, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia
  • Zone C states and territories have a 15-20 year degradation estimate and are third priority: Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Idaho, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
I'm in zone C, and I still will have to do it all over again this year.

For WQR53 recall, look at your paperwork given to you on the first round to determine if you will need to do it again:
  • part number 98279AG05A does not contain non-desiccated ammonium nitrate and will not require replacement.
  • part number 98279AG00A does contain it, and will be recalled again
As before, it will be done by zone in phases. Here's what subaru.com says about my vehicle:

Type: Safety | Safety Recall: TKC20 | NHTSA Campaign: 20V003000 | Open-Pending phased mailing
05-09 LEGACY & OUTBACK Takata Recall Expansion | Incomplete
December 20, 2019
Description tbd
Safety Risk tbd
Remedy tbd

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
759 Posts
Just talked to Subaru of America's recall department regarding this issue. I was told that our 2013 3.6R is NOT currently part of the TKC-20 recall. That may be because it received one of the newer, redesigned ignitor kits during its TKB-19 recall last January. The new part number that was installed at that time is 98279AJ06A. Perhaps that particular kit passes muster and will not be recalled. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,630 Posts
It's worth repeating that Gen 5 Outbacks (MY 2015 and later) DO NOT have Takata airbags and thus ARE NOT subject to the recall.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
And now ..... my re-recall paperwork just received today. Although I prefer this name for it, it's officially called TKC20. Image is attached of what they sent me.

The short version:
1. It involves certain 2003-2014 Legacys and Outbacks, 2003-2006 Bajas, 2009-2013 Foresters, 2004-2011 Impreza, and 2004-2014 WRXs and WRX / STI.
2. They do try to explain the situation regarding the previous like-for-like replacement in the WQR53 campaign. They don't admit their part in it, of course.
3. They admit that it isn't always known if a given VIN got the like-for-like, and that it may first require an inspection to see what you have, then do the replacement if it's needed (this should make scheduling the work a lot of hassle, both for the service organizations and the customers - how do you fill up a tech's day if it may only be as short as a few minutes for inspection, or a 1-3 hour service operation? Answer: Overbook everybody and then apologize to those at the end of the day if they don't get to them before they close).
4. They don't tell you not to use the front passenger seat until it's replaced, as they did for WQR53 (there was a lot more time in service the first time around for most of us, of course).
5. They tell you to ask the dealer for "alternative transportation options" - which I take means "free loaner", but many dealers will probably resist.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
both of my newer cars were done after the updated parts, but the 2003 was inspected and found to be ok. not too concerned about it but if they want to do it again, that's OK with me.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Why revive this thread when it's not relevant to any Gen 5 Outback?
This is the General Discussions forum, and the TKC20 recall in question spans many Subaru models and generations - although this doesn't include Gen 5 Outbacks, which aren't within the scope of this recall. Did I imply otherwise?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,652 Posts
This is the General Discussions forum, and the TKC20 recall in question spans many Subaru models and generations - although this doesn't include Gen 5 Outbacks, which aren't within the scope of this recall. Did I imply otherwise?
It was in fact posted in the Gen 5 subforum until an hour or 2 ago when it was moved here by a mod. See post #4 from a month ago which was first calling it out.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Got it. And there is at least one other thread started on the same subject, which I'll flag to the moderators.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,325 Posts
Yah I moved it and then forgot to mention it.

My mistake if it as cause for some confusion.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,288 Posts
they had the old, problematic propellant in them. They didn't tell anyone initially until it was discovered in a congressional inquiry in June 2015. Surprisingly, even then everyone was allowed to use up the supply they had in stock, at which point they switched recalls over to the proper propellant.
Please note that the propellant in each case is the same. It's simply whether or not there's the little bag of silica gel (or whatever desiccant they use) in there. Either way, you've got a small fertilizer bomb going off in front of you.

Which is why you NEVER drive with your hands at the top - 12 o'clock position - on the steering wheel. Or sit in the passenger side with your feet up on the dash. Unless, of course, you wish to attempt to win a Darwin award.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
To follow up, I had my 2008 into the dealer today for the TKC20 recall work, and they completed it in about 4.5 hours. My dash is still fully intact and looking like it did beforehand (although I did take pictures, just in case). They actually cleaned up everything inside in the immediate area of the dash, including glass. And yes, I know they did have to replace the propellant canister, as I saw the part number of the replacement (98279AG05A) on the invoice, and I also knew that my old WQR53 invoice had previously listed the old "like-for-like" part number (98279AG00A) as the replacement.

Most significantly, unlike the WQR53 recall experience in June 2016, this time around there were several positives coming out of this experience:
1. There were no shenanigans with waiting for parts in stock, they had them in stock.
2. There was no urging of "patience, you'll just have to wait in a queue until we can get to you". Then again, they weren't telling all of us this time around to not allow anyone to ride in the passenger seat; there is a lot less time elapsed on this second canister (in my case, less than 4 years).
3. They offered me a loaner for the day, unprompted. I took it, as they did say it might get pushed into tomorrow;'s queue and get done in the morning, given I came in at the scheduled 11:00 am. It was a 2020 Premium OB, first of those I've driven. Yes, it felt more nimble than the Gen 4 I've driven. And no, it is not going to get me out of my Gen 3.

Let's all hope this is the last dealings we have to suffer with airbag systems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts