Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am a new member. The last time I drove my 2001 Outback LL Bean the front end started vibrating like it had a severe front end problem. It seemed worse on acceleration. When I got home I discovered red(transmission?) fluid on the ground and plate covering the bottom of the engine. It is an automatic, and still shifts okay. Have I already damaged the transfer case / transaxle as the case may be in in outback?

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Red would be transmission fluid or power steering fluid (since the PS pump in that car actually uses trans fluid). Try to pinpoint the source of the leak. I don't think a leak from the transmission pan would make it to the splash pan under the engine, BUT there are transmission cooler lines that go up to the radiator that could be leaking. Is the trans fluid low? If it is transmission fluid leaking, I have a feeling the vibrating is a different issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tranny fluid was fine. I'll check out the power steering fluid. The leak appears to be on the right (drivers)side of the engine. The fluid is sprayed all over the right transaxle clear out to the wheel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts