Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am trying to collect thoughts on how my 2012 Outback 4cy. would handle pulling a 13' Scamp. It is on our list of things we would like to purchase but want to make sure the Subaru can handle it. I know on the older Outbacks you could get a transmission cooler to help with the towing, but i'm not sure if the same is true with the CVT. Has anyone had any experience with this combo? Thanks in advance for the help.
-Patrick

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium CVT, AWP, Steel Silver
826 Posts
I think I saw someone with a pick here towing a Scamp could be wrong.
I always wanted one of those, just can't see it now with the 2 boys, wife and a big dog.

I do know someone who towed one out west and back with a Honda Element and it was a 16ft with the front bathroom. Still a little surprised that worked.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Lots of posts here about towing and what the CVT can handle.

Feel free to do a Google search: "site:subaruoutback.org CVT towing"

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
There is a regular poster who tows the Scamp with his OB. Can't recall if he has the CVT or the 3.6 H6 either way both cars more or less have the same towing capacity. He has reported having good experience towing the Scamp and has mentioned some great trips he's done. Great little trailer by the way. Just watching your packed weight when doing long tough climbs and hot summer temps with either car will keep you and the car happy. Cooler milder temps either car works great for that trailer.

I recall the basic 13 foot scamp is about 1300lbs empty. Which is right about where I put my empty weight max limit for our RV option. Given you want enough capacity to pack some gear too. If your doing mild temps and not crossing the Rockies during a heat wave the scamp should work pretty well with either OB CVT or 3.6L.

The only major thing to keep in mind is cooling limitations the 2.5L with CVT has a transmission related cooling limit of 104+ temps and 5+ mile climb max towing capacity is 1350lbs. The 3.6L 5spd AT is 1500lbs max trailering load under the 104+ temps and 5+ mile climbs.
I tow two trailers with our 2.5 CVT this is our second 2.5 in many years we tow with. As long as you know your cooling limitations and your standard use ie places you want to travel aren't crossing huge passes in super hot summer temps then your fine. My camping rig is ultra light 900lbs empty given my plan was having 100% ability to go anywhere in worst possible temps with no worries. Our boat on the other hand is 1700lbs and the trips we do with it are all generally mild temps and climbs that don't pose any cooling challenges. We use the truck if we plan on hauling the boat to one particular lake in what is often 110 degree temps and one of the worst grades to climb in CA. Which case even the truck is working hard to do 45mph but we have AC and a very large cooling system and capacity to handle the heat and climb.

So pending your planned use make the call on your trailer weight. If your primarily doing mild climate areas where you not seeing 100+ summer temps and long brutal climbs over passes then your pretty safe with either car. Power hasn't been an issue with the 2.5 even with our old 2001 2.5 power was never really the issue. Cooling capability was always the limiting factor. This will be the same case with the 3.6 also plenty of power but when your really pushing the car hard cooling will be your first limit you find.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've always wanted a Scamp too! (Or an R-Pad or an Egg camper.)

So if you get one let us know how it is to tow!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 CVT Premium
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Subiesailor for all the info. Seems like it could be done. I am never really in a race on the highway anyways. I will have to give it some thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts