Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, who has put aftermarket rims on their OBS? Considering the two tone color, what color rim looks best? My pick would be steel grey Rotas for color match, it's real close to the bottom color. Anyone have pics?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
I am slowly shopping for a '99-'01 OBS for a fun daily driver for myself and am interested in knowing what mods are popular. I was thinking 16" wheels with slightly smaller (5%-7%) tires might be nice - along with about 3/4-1" lower springs. What size wheels are you shopping for? How wide can you safely go with tires on the OBS?

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking to stay 16" which is stock, but a much lighter wheel like the Rota Slipstream. That is about three pounds less at each corner depending on how heavy the tires are. Without a drop in the suspension, you can get 225 width on 16" rims for an OBS without any problems, say 55 series. Until '02 OBS had 15" rims, right? I would go to a 205/55/16 like the newer ones. Or a 16 by 7 rim with 215/225 width. I believe stock '02 and newer are 16 by 6.5" wide. Remember, having the correct offset and being hubcentric is a must for our Subies. Brian.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just bought new wheels for my '99 OBS. When I bought the car 2 weeks ago it was missing a hubcap, so I figured rather than waste $$ on buying another hubcap that I would spend the $$ on some new wheels, so I went with some alloys. I decided to step up to 16" wheels, so I got new tires at the same time (stock wheels on my '99 were 15", so, of course, the tires that were on the car wouldn't fit on a 16" wheel).

Anyway, first thing I noticed was that occasionally when I hit a bump that the back tire on the driver's side would rub the fender well plastic moulding. Apparently the offset is not quite right. However, I removed the moulding, and it no longer rubs. Is there any problem with having the moulding gone? To be honest, I can't even tell it's gone when I look at it, so is it purely a cosmetic thing?

Also, about this hubcentric thing...what does that mean? How do I know if the wheels I got are hubcentric? Does it even apply to my '99? :confused:

By the way, here are the wheels I have (they are MB Motoring 747's):

I paid right about $70/wheel, which was definitely in my price range. It's AMAZING how expensive some wheels are. I don't get it! hehe

Anyway, thanks for the info,
Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ski4ever, what size tires do you have on your 16" rims? Hubcentric means that the inside of the rim fits over the axle hub perfectly with no slop. What it really means is that the weight of the car rides on the axle hub, not the lugnuts. It is always better to have a hubcentric rim than a rim that rides just on the lugnuts w/o the center of the rim riding on the hub of the axle. And also, I wouldn't worry about the molding on the rear wheel well lip, I believe it is there to protect rocks from chipping the paint on the inner lip. Other than that, nice looking rim and the price looks tasty. Now, offsets get tricky also. I am going to go check my info on correct offsets and get back here soon. Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
bheinz57 (or can I call you Brian?),

The tires are 205/55/r16s. From what I see, those are the smallest "plus one" size tires that they offer.

As for the hubcentricness (is that even a word? hehe), I just looked, and the inside of the rim has ~1/16" overhang compared to the hub (in other words, the inside of the rim has a diameter ~1/8" bigger than that of the hub). Is that OK? I imagine that there is no problem with the inside of the rim being too big, but only if it's too small, right?

As for offsets, let me know what the info you have says. I'm not sure what offset these wheels have, but I'm sure I can get the info if need be.

Thanks for the info,
Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello again, whew, here we go. First of all, ski4ever, your rims are not hubcentric if you see that space. Not a reall biggie, it just means all force is on your lugnuts. Now, I gathered some info from NASIOC which is a great resource. Having the center bore of the rim (hole) fit exactly over the axle hub is what hubcentric means. Now, the difference between the centerline of the wheel and the wheel mounting surface is the offset, can be zero, + or - ...Zero offset is when the hub mounting surface is even with the centerline of the rim. Positive offset is when the hub mounting surface is toward the outside of the rim(lugnuts are closer to you looking at the rim) Negative offset is when the hub mounting surface is closer to the brakes(like the old deep dish style)

Subaru specific offsets(most late model Subarus)

6.5" +53 to +55mm In general I guess + or - 2mm is okay
7.0" +50 to +53mm This info compiled from NASIOC website
7.5" +47 to +50mm
8.0" +43 to +47mm

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm confused still about this hubcentric thing. Why is all the force on the lugnuts and none on the hub itself? Maybe I should just go take off a wheel sometime and take a look.

And, about the offset issue, sorry that you typed that all out. The only information I was looking for was the recommended offset for my car. I know what offset/backspacing are. :)

So, I stopped by the Discount Tire where I bought my wheel/tire package and talked to the same salesman (manager) who helped me last time I was in there. He looked up the information, and said that the recommended offset for a 16x7 wheel is 40mm. The wheels I have are 38mm, so that means they only stick out an extra 2mm. Doesn't seem like that should be enough to cause the rubbing I am getting...but, I guess it is. :(

Anyway, I told him about the problem I am having, and he said they would definitely take care of me. He said that if the tire continues to rub on the driver's side (where I already took off the fender moulding) that they would swap wheels with me so that I get something with more offset to bring the tires in some. Great...now I'll have to decide on what wheels I like AGAIN! :rolleyes:

Thanks again for your help,
Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt, when you said you had about 1/8th " showing around the hub to the rim, that means the rim is not resting on the hub, it is resting on the lugnuts/wheel studs. Like when you take the rim off, put it on and it rests on the wheel studs until you tighten the nuts which usually seat against the rim. If it were hubcentric, not only does the lugnut/wheel stud apply, but the center bore of the rim fits perfectly over the hub for more surface contact, releasing all the strain on the lugnuts/studs themselves. It is a more secure fit. You can get spacers for the back of rims that align and fit perfectly to the hub for rims like yours that don't fit the hub perfect. Just don't ask me where from. Does that help you out anymore? If I were you, I would definitely take that shop up on the idea of solving your rubbing problem. I'll see if I can find a correct center bore/ hub size. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Allright now, let's see what we have here. Um, hubcentric, and lugcentric are the main topic besides offset. You can buy hubcentric spacers to have non-hubcentric rims fit to the hub snugly. As far as I got info on the actual 'hub' size for the impreza and I'm guessing most late model Subaru's is 56.1mm. So I guess if you take a caliper and measure the center bore opening on a correct fitting rim, it will be very close to 56mm. So, that's where I'm at right now. The best thing to do when you are looking for rims is to get them 'Subaru hubcentric'. So, a correct rim for MY02 OBS would be 16" x 6.5" +53 to +55mm offset 100mm x 5 (lug spacing) Of course that would be stock size. Brian

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,547 Posts
I don't pretend to understand all of the offset stuff (like, howcome changing the wheel width by 1/2" doesn't require about 6mm change in offset?) but I have NEVER read any post indicating an offset much lower than 45-48mm as being acceptable for a Soob. I'd question the tire store's sources. It may not be a huge problem - like getting 65K miles outta the front bearings instead of 80K or something - who knows? But it WILL add stress to the suspension and steering systems.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Offset can be very odd to understand sometimes. My sources are coming from NASIOC.com There is a lot of knowledge there. Carl, you are correct with the wheel bearing thing, and the low offset that Matt's rims have. Subaru does not recommend anything that low. That is why Matt would benefit from his shop saying they will remedy the rubbing problem. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think in general, Matt, you should try and get correct fitting rims. It will fix your rubbing problem and may save premature bearing wear. I know $ is always an issue, however Rota wheels are very durable, lightweight, and inexpensive if it is an option for you.

Subydude.com

Check some Rotas out:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I just got back from a weekend trip up into the mountains. Going around corners, and hitting bumps, there was more rubbing going on again, considering I had a passenger and all our ski luggage, etc. So, my driver's side rear tire now has cuts in it. First thing tomorrow morning, I am heading over to Discount Tire to have them remedy the problem. I will be looking at 16" wheels with a 48mm offset.

Thanks for all your help guys (especially you Brad),
Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let us know how your shop worked with/helped you out. And who's Brad?;) Later, Brian:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Brad is...uhh...hmm...how do I cover this up? ;) OK, OK, I meant Brian. :p Sorry about that! hehe

Anyway, talked to the tire store guy today. He's hooking me up with a set of new wheels (47mm offset this time) and a new tire (to replace the sliced one), as well as ordering 2 new rear fender moulding pieces (to replace the scuffed up ones in the rear)! :D I'm extremely happy with the customer service they provide! :2:

Thanks for your concern, and sorry again about the name mixup,
Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great shop to work with it sounds. Good, 47mm should help you out extremely for rubbing. Ask them about getting hubcentric spacers for those rims if they can. That is if the rims have the same center bore as the ones you have now. It's worth a try if they understand your concern. Brian

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that in my other post....they're giving me the "hub rings" (as they call them) as part of the package.

Matt

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very well then, you're going to have to post pics of the rims on your car sometime. Enjoy. Brian

1 - 20 of 50 Posts