Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Outback tailgate skin seam opening up

My 2016 Outback(13,000km) the tailgate works fine but when latched down securely,the tailgate sits up proud by about 10mm compared at the taillights.

The inner and outer skins at the tailgate latch have come apart leaving the latch loose.

The same has happened with my son in laws 2015 model but with his the spot welds at the gate latch have separated as well.

Both cars have never been in an accident or had anything jammed in the which has been suggested by two different dealers

Anyone else with this problem that can help please

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you're having problems.

What do you mean by "the inner and outer skins at the tailgate latch have come apart leaving the latch loose"? Can you post a picture, please? The latch is loose, presumably no visible accident damage, and the dealer(s) won't acknowledge that there is a problem?

The welds failed on your SIL's car? Did that happen while it was still under warranty?

Were these cars purchased new, or used?

Where are you (what country)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, outer skin is the outside of the tailgate and at the bottom it rolls around over the inner skin ( which is the inside of the door) and has a bead of sealant along the joint. Once the seam has separated, by grabbing and wriggling the latch, there is a lot of movement of the latch and inner skin. The latch appears to be spot welded to the inner skin at this point.

Both cars are under warranty, but the dealerships don't want to know/ too hard!!

I am in Australia, have some photo's, but am a first time user to this site, so still learning how to attach them

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tail gate sitting proud, it is fully closed.
It does fully close flush with the taillights, then springs back up to this position

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,199 Posts
That would be a warranty issue. Take it to a dealer.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Wow, I would call that a design or manufacturing defect.

One fix might be to completely remove the back tailgate, take it apart so they can get to the body panels from the inside and to re-glue the skin and inner structural panel.

They would use the Subaru approved equivalent of this;
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...Bonding-Adhesive/?N=5002385+3293241847&rt=rud

Once the adhesive is applied they will need to clamp the entire seam in lots of places and to let it cure for a day or so.

If the Subaru shop does body work then they already have the adhesive. It is used for door re-skinning.
-------------------

The other fix would be to replace the entire back hatch.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
Both cars are under warranty, but the dealerships don't want to know/ too hard!!
Too bad for them. In the US they would have an obligation to fix your issue unless they can prove it's due to abuse or neglect.

I am in Australia, have some photo's, but am a first time user to this site, so still learning how to attach them
The rules in Australia are no doubt different in some details than they are here in the USA, but I'm sure they're pretty similar in most respects.

Sometimes things that shouldn't go wrong, just go wrong. This is what warranties are for!

This is not normal. Pressure them to make it right. See if you can find a phone number and email address for Subaru's corporate presence in Australia. Since you've already been blown off by your dealer, call or write Subaru, or both. Be polite and respectful, but respectfully insist that they help you make things right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts