Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm surprised the Japan 2021 Outback is still the Gen 5 - I thought they were switching to Gen 6 in 2021?

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
1,105 Posts
That was actually entertaining, a clear win for the Outback, not just off-road but on-road handling too. I wonder if they tried X-mode in the one test the Outback failed.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,536 Posts
They were clearly using X-Mode with the other tests and it appears that it was enabled in the test the Outback failed. It also looked like they kept backing off the accelerator in that failed test and I believe with x-mode you need to keep adding more acceleration or keep it constant to get x-mode to fully engage.

Seagrass

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,377 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for posting.

The roller test shows the obvious front torque bias of the OB. Easily drove off rollers when front tires were on pavement but engaged spin control more when rear tires were on pavement. Also evident in the three-roller test, highlighted in the one test failure.
(Looks like the exploder may have rear torque bias)

A couple of other observations:
Seemed like they drove the OB at more speed on the uphill tests. I wonder if that is a power/torque issue and the test was done at the slowest speed that would summit.
It looked like in the second hihgh speed collsion avoidance test for the exploder, one of the camera dudes at the end of the chute was sitting with legs crossed. No way he could move fast enough if the test car went off trajectory. Should be one camera person and a spotter, both ready to skedaddle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts