Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'05 Subaru Outback
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here considering or have gone from Outback to Ascent?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,356 Posts

moved to Asecnt section,

and I would think plenty on the Ascent forum have.

people looking for more room: just like those that bought a dorky tribeca 3.0, or tolerable tribeca 3.6.....but the ascent seems to be a hit so far.

(without jumping to a Sienna AWD Toyota minivan, ...or a body on frame big job like a chevy suburban).

·
Registered
'05 Subaru Outback
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
moved to Asecnt section,

and I would think plenty on the Ascent forum have.

people looking for more room: just like those that bought a dorky tribeca 3.0, or tolerable tribeca 3.6.....but the ascent seems to be a hit so far.

(without jumping to a Sienna AWD Toyota minivan, ...or a body on frame big job like a chevy suburban).
With 1 more on the way, extra room is what I'm looking for without going the van way :surprise:. I'm considering between used Lexus LX470, used Land Cruiser, or (if I can find one in a year or so) a used Ascent. What makes the Ascent additionally attractive is the mileage compared to the first two choices.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R LTD, TECH-NAV-EyeSight; 2018 Ascent Premier (Canada)
70 Posts
Both!

Didn't debate... now having both!
Both serve their respective purpose!
M

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
15,965 Posts

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
With 1 more on the way, extra room is what I'm looking for without going the van way :surprise:. I'm considering between used Lexus LX470, used Land Cruiser, or (if I can find one in a year or so) a used Ascent. What makes the Ascent additionally attractive is the mileage compared to the first two choices.
So I have had a 93 LC 12mpg and old car costly stuff to fix. We took the SUBARus 99.999% of the time. I hade a 2001 Legacy GT Limited 5spd and a 2010 Limited 2.5 cvt during my LC ownership. The truck was our 3rd car it was driven 5000miles a yr at most. The LC was too tight for two kids, parents and a local grandparent so we sold it and bought a 2005 Sequoia which has been great. But again 99.9% of the time we take the Outback. Our plan is to sell both the OB and the Sequoia and possibly get the new Ascent. The only reason that might not happen is the lack of a bench 2nd row in the touring model.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
191 Posts
I haven't seen many Ascents on the road and I get around. I see Consumer Reports really like them in their latest review.
I'm not sure I like the look of the Ascents; while not bad, not good enough either. The rear is bad and bland, the dual exhausts are too small. The inside isn't distinctive enough. Rear captains seats are lame and make little sense to me. While they probably won't be a total dud, I bet Subaru won't be as happy as hoped with the sales numbers. Just a guess though.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,770 Posts
They sold 6,000+ in October after just a couple full months on the market. That's pretty good. I agree that it is nowhere as distinctive as the B9 once was, but it is bland stuff that sells. I personally find it way more appealing inside than the competitors, but the exterior is indeed no better than a Highlander. Again, blandness has not stopped Toyota from moving millions of appliances around....

To address the original question, if we had an Ascent as opposed to an Outback, there is no way we would have moved to a 4Runner. I would have probably added a GX 470 or an XTerra Pro-4X for about 12,000 and outfitted it for offroad trips. We don't care much for extra pax space (and we do have a 7 pax TB), but the cargo volume was always a problem with the OB.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,356 Posts
They sold 6,000+ in October after just a couple full months on the market. That's pretty good. I agree that it is nowhere as distinctive as the B9 once was, but it is bland stuff that sells. I personally find it way more appealing inside than the competitors, but the exterior is indeed no better than a Highlander. Again, blandness has not stopped Toyota from moving millions of appliances around....
did you try one yet. ? maybe try a slow controlled crawl over a tall curb before climbing the nearest nasty rock strewn up hill test track.

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,770 Posts
No...I might for the heck of it, but I am not really that interested.

I did take a very close look at the cargo and also at the undercarriage. The cargo area is very deep and would have done the job for me, but the 4Runner's rectangular shape is much more user-friendly. The Ascent's cargo floor and bumper top are exceptionally high--higher than the 4R's--which is no good for people who need to carry more stuff rather than more humans. Also, for all the dogs during the reveal, I am not sure how you get any dog smaller than a German Shepherd jump into an Ascent.

As for rocks...it is no better than a Tribeca and it might actually be worse. The undercarriage is still flat, but it seemed to be evenly low rather than unevenly high (like an OB's). So, no, whereas an OB can be pushed, the Ascent will be limited to rough dirt roads, like a TB.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
327 Posts
As for rocks...it is no better than a Tribeca and it might actually be worse. The undercarriage is still flat, but it seemed to be evenly low rather than unevenly high (like an OB's). So, no, whereas an OB can be pushed, the Ascent will be limited to rough dirt roads, like a TB.
Not sure I get this. Are they (ascent and outback) both not at 8.7 inches clearance for the undercarriage ? so not sure I understand the evenly low / unevenly high part ?

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,770 Posts
Not sure I get this. Are they (ascent and outback) both not at 8.7 inches clearance for the undercarriage ? so not sure I understand the evenly low / unevenly high part ?

On the OB, the lowest point is the exhaust. On the Ascent, it looked like a lot of the undercarriage was as low as that: it just looked low across the board to me. I have to take another look now that the weather is improving; the asphalt was burning my knees when I took that look.

But whatever the details, it seemed to have less "real-life" or "usable" clearance. Compare to a JK non-Rubicon Wrangler with 8.7 to differentials and a ton more clearance elsewhere. The Ascent by contrast seemed like having a lot of surface hanging low. Still far better than its rival AWD crossovers, which is what matters here.

I cannot imagine anyone will be taking an Ascent into any rocks over a few inches.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,228 Posts
I haven't seen many Ascents on the road and I get around. I see Consumer Reports really like them in their latest review.
I'm not sure I like the look of the Ascents; while not bad, not good enough either. The rear is bad and bland, the dual exhausts are too small. The inside isn't distinctive enough. Rear captains seats are lame and make little sense to me. While they probably won't be a total dud, I bet Subaru won't be as happy as hoped with the sales numbers. Just a guess though.
We started taking sold orders in February for them, with the first ones not hitting the ground until late June / early July (depending upon region). Total plant capacity is 5,000 per month (60,000 per year), and we've sold 24,000 of them - with only 25,000 of them produced so far. There's just NOT that many out there yet - I've only seen two in the wild, as it were, so far.

If it's a limited or touring model, we're pretty much having to order them in still yet, and I expect that to continue through the rest of the model year. Subaru is doing a balancing act with our allocations. You have about 650 or so Subaru dealers in the country, which means the average should be 8 per dealership if everyone got the same amount, for us to get 12 and 15 for November and December means someone else gets fewer. Mind you, there's been less than 200 sold total in the whole state of Oklahoma so far.

So right now they're VERY happy with the way sales are going for these. (Oh, and most people WANT the rear captains chairs. That's why we have choices - if you want a bench (other than on the touring), you can get a bench.)

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,770 Posts
Sorry, went on a tangent. My original point was that I have taken the OB over moderate rocks and small ledges but I would not do that in an Ascent.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was very close to ordering an Ascent, but then got a rocking deal on the last 2018 Outback on the lot.

I had a 2016 Outback before and loved it so I knew it would work for me. The Ascent is very nice, but I didn't like the break over angles. It still has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, but it's longer so I thought I would bottom out more often.

Another small item, there's no lumbar support in the Premium Ascent. That made the seat a bit less comfortable for me and I didn't think it was worth the extra money for less offroad ability and less comfort. If I really needed the room I would consider it but I figured the Outback was enough for my needs.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
141 Posts
No...I might for the heck of it, but I am not really that interested.

I did take a very close look at the cargo and also at the undercarriage. The cargo area is very deep and would have done the job for me, but the 4Runner's rectangular shape is much more user-friendly. The Ascent's cargo floor and bumper top are exceptionally high--higher than the 4R's--which is no good for people who need to carry more stuff rather than more humans. Also, for all the dogs during the reveal, I am not sure how you get any dog smaller than a German Shepherd jump into an Ascent.

I priced a 2019 Ascent and 4Runner getting what I wanted. MSRP is about 1000 difference, 4Runner being higher. At that closeness, I'd rather take the 4Runner's 4WD and higher ground clearance any day.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts