Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I understand a majority of outback parts are shared with the legacy and I was looking to use some of the kits for the spec B for suspension and maybe other things. What does anyone know about what performance parts you can interchange like that with out any issues?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Engine, body & brake stuff crosses over almost directly. Suspension much less so- it is the big difference between these cars after all. Sway bars and end links are usually a match, but height related components like struts and springs are more problematic. People have done some dramatic lifts, drops and handling changes, but it isn't quite down to a formula.

Have a look at the 05-09 suspension thread and maybe also have a look on legacygt.com.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Giving EJ25 newer parts

I have been wondering what I can do to the EJ25 that's in my 99 outback. I've heard that I can take heads of the STi's/WRX's to improve compresion and get a higher rev limit. Is that true and what else is compatible (Ex: MAF, intake manifold). Just to give me some ideas as to what I can look into for repairs

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The STi is an 8.something:1 compression engine, the NA EJ25 is 10.something:1. It's the turbo that allows the STi to multiply compression to higher numbers than the NA. Not sure about that, curious to see if anyone else has anything to add.

I don't think the heads are much of a limiting factor for rev limit- usually the crank & block are the first to complain.

You could put a header on it and play with the intake; it doesn't give a lot more power but it's short money and makes a cool sound.

There aren't a lot of performance bolt-ons for these engines; the "real" way to do it is to swap in an engine from a crashed WRX. Much more stock power, and tons of goodies to add if you and your wallet feel like it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
EJ25 compatibility

I have looked up somethings that I can get like a tuned exhuast manifold and intake manifold and a few other things that, that bolt right up to either a 2.2L or a 2.5L. Is there a reason why or did subaru just make minor things similar?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Car and engine confusion

Talked to a big subie buddy and he told me that I would need to find a 06+ wrx to find a good motor. I looked around and asked about the 98 impreza 2.5RS to see if I could find a motor from one of them. He said that they don't exsist. I want to keep the 2.5L but not have turbo....yet (later down the road I would want it as an option though). Did the WRXs start having 2.5Ls back in the late 90s, or early 2000s?

·
Registered
399 Posts
WRX was around since 92 as a '93 model in Japan & versions of it were sold all over the world EXCEPT for the USA, we got the WRX in mid/late '01 as a 2002 model.
When it was finally introduced in the US there was a waiting list for these cars - pretty sure we waited about 2 months for the one that we still have.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
I looked around and asked about the 98 impreza 2.5RS to see if I could find a motor from one of them. He said that they don't exsist.
the 98 Impreza RS exists...but it's the same EJ25D motor that is in your 99 outback. why would you remove one motor and install the same motor?

I want to keep the 2.5L but not have turbo.
that's exactly what you have in the car now.

you need to clarify exactly what you're trying to do.

it sounds like you want the gains of a turbo engine on your non-turbo engine which is not physically possible.

you have two options:

1. minor modifications to your engine. do whatever you want, the gains to be had are very small so it doesn't much matter. get a pulley set, header, intake ,spacers, whatever you feel like trying out...and you'll gain 11 hp and be like "i think that's faster". it'll still be slow on the track.

2. complete full on engine swap to a turbo. block, wiring, harness, ECU, exhaust. then the options and gains are vast.

one is pocket change the other is a full on project requiring lots of skill or lots of money.

turbo engines can be modified for enormous gains - non-turbo's can not. in general you'll be disappointed and never satisfied if you try to "bolt on" to a non turbo engine and hope for big gains.

Did the WRXs start having 2.5Ls back in the late 90s, or early 2000s?
do you mean turbo or non-turbo? impreza's/WRX just got the 2.5 liter...same engine that's in your car starting in 1998. the turbo engines come later - looks like previous poster covered that....

if you want the "fast one"....WRX...then that means a turbo engine. those are extremely expensive and it's a huge project- completely engine, crossmember, engine wiring harness, body side wiring harness, ECU, or aftermarket controller.

·
Premium Member
11,887 Posts
GG is slightly incorrect in some of his statements. I "blew" a non turbo block and its done on a regular basis in Europe, Australia, South America, Asia and the U.S..

The tolerance levels of the boxer engine are unique due to the way the engine is designed. Its limits are reachable through planning and calculations of air, fuel, fire and capable torque transfer to the wheels.

Everyday, owners are modifying their cars and seeing real results. Some just by reprogramming the fuel/ignition mapping on the ECM. Others go further with mechanical structuring and reprogramming. An alternate engine management system is not always necessary. Especially with hundreds of people available that have reverse engineered Subaru ECMs.

First chore is calculating what you have now, and what you want later. In some things, a step up process is not an option, while in others it is. Plan, calculate and budget. Keep in mind, prices are going up, so cost you calculate today may be higher later in the next year.

You can find a lot of information previously posted on this forum as well as the following:

North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club (this one is a good thread Subaru Modification: First Level Modifications - NASIOC )
Club Liberty Australia
XRT
ScoobyMods

There are others, but you get the point. The more you can do on your own, the less out of pocket you are.

Use what you know and learn what you don't. Don't let anyone discourage you from trying. :29:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Right now, I just shooting for 200HP.

Thanks for the input and sorry for not speaking out the details that I mean to say. I know there are other threads but this is one that I found that seem close to the topic that I thought I would get some info from (getting parts from similiar motors and putting them on my engine), because it looked like it would take a few hours to go through all of them. Apparently to my interest, there does not seem to be must I can pull off a better motor to bolt on to my block to improve. If I have read you guys right and done a bit of research, the anwser is no. So then what about off the motor wise. Example: I know you can take a Mass Airflow Sensor from a V-6 lexus and put it on a late 80s Supra and you will get more HP, MPG, torque, etc and not have to mod anthing. What I want to know, is it possible to do the same for subaru, or is everything on the car only meant for that kind of motor?

Oh one more thing, has there been any improvements on OEM hardware (bolt on lightweight items or more efficient hardware), or has all the improvements been made only for the 2.2Ls and lower?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Xnander Bishop
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing