Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a small road trip last Friday morning before heading to Atlanta for the weekend and picked up a used transmission in Dover, OH. It came from a 98 Outback and they swore that it was not compatible with the 99 model. However, Subaru lists both transmissions with the same part number (new). I could see some small differences but decided to take the chance and take it.

Fast forward to tonight. I took one look at the transmission and decided to go ahead and start getting everything ready for the re-install. I looked at the differences (closely) and apart from an inspection plate (not found on the 99) and a stud where there was supposed to be a hole (there is a hole now!) I could see no other problems.

I started to get everything ready with the plan to start the install tomorrow night. Before I knew, I was actually halfway through the job. So, although not all the bolts have been tightened yet, the transmission is in, the gearshift connected and the transmission crossmember is in.

If all goes well tomorrow, I could have everything done! Now, will it last this time? Only time will tell.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by FMGreen

If you don't mind...how much did the new(used) tranny cost you?
I managed to get this one for $500. To replace the parts I knew and those that I suspected broken on the old tranny would have been $800.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Great to hear from you again! But I fear that with your run of luck, you'll roll down to the bottom of the driveway for a test run, and get broadsided by a presidential campaign bus...

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Good job, now you're our #1 tranny guy. All questions will now go through you! Good luck with the OB. Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Hit a snag tonight though. The speed sensor changed between 98 and 99. Not sure how to fix this at the moment and do not really want to think about it either. The 99 also has 2 more bolts mounting the transmission to the engine. Should not be a major problem though.

Alex, if that bus hits me I hope the OB is totalled. Even taking into account all the money I spent on repairs, I should not lose any money.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will order a new speed sensor today and pick up the spring pins for the front driveshafts.

Once I have these parts, I should be able to get this thing back on the road again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes to both Alex. The pictures are still on the camera. I never get around to downloading them.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Outback runs again. Will first have to get the alignment done before driving it though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
FMGreen
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing