Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between an OB & a Tribeca? The Tribeca is bigger? Are they not both built on the Legacy plateform? Not that I want a Tribeca - just curious. Since they hardly sell any it seems it should be dropped for something else - like a Legacy wagon in the US, or even a small minivan. (But maybe I am the only one that would buy one of those. :) )

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
The Tribeca is based on a previous generation of the legacy platform. It has not been updated due to lagging sales and (as I recall) it was announced as being discontinued sometime ago... though I am not sure when that was/is to take effect since it still appears they still sell new Tribecas (though with only one trim level) according to their website.

The Outback is based on the current generation Legacy and is just a Legacy wagon on stilts. No one really anticipates Subaru trying their hand in the larger car segments again any time soon since their existing platforms are where they are making money (long-time players in the minivan segment are actually exiting ala Chrysler) and Subaru's first effort at expanding into the slightly larger SUV market with the Tribeca was poorly received.

All current cars are based on three platforms Impreza, Legacy, and BRZ (the BRZ platform comes from a joint venture with Toyota, otherwise that platform probably would not exist either), though older generations of each may still be in use depending on the transition plans for various models (as another example, the WRX is currently an older-generation Impreza).

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Subaru's Aztek was doomed from the start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts