1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my first Outback.
I can get a 2010 with 30K miles for $22,000 or a 2013 2.5i Premium for $25,200
From what I understand 2013 has a number of improvements:

New engine that has already been used in Forester that may be more reliable and slightly better mpg.

Improved handling and ride.

For those reasons I am leaning towards the 2013.
Saving $3000 for the 2010 isn't making sense to me right now.
I need to have the Premium model to get power seats which are a requirement for me. Otherwise I would consider the base model and save a few thousand $.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Used cars are going for top dollar in most markets. If you're paying cash, saving $3k can be a big deal. If you're financing, the difference feels a lot smaller.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Age is as big a factor as mileage is as far as wear and tear. Often overlooked. For that minor difference I would go for the 2013.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used cars are going for top dollar in most markets. If you're paying cash, saving $3k can be a big deal. If you're financing, the difference feels a lot smaller.
It's funny because I always hear that cars depreciate thousands soon as you drive it off the lot. I bought 2 used Camry's with 50K miles for $12,000 and those were a great deal. I can still buy a slightly used Camry for around $14K and that is $10K less than a new one. But I guess that doesn't apply to Outback's. I already have a nice Camry but need something for trips that I can carry bikes and stuff in. Will be replacing a 1998 Sienna.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Go with the 2013. No question.

Aside from the notable changes with the 2013, some 2010 OBs had problems with the steering that caused bad vibrations.

Also you will get 30k more miles on your warranty and a 100% known driving history. IMO those 2 things are worth $3k anyday. Cash or financing.

The current used market is high all around. Subarus have always held their value well, and with the current market it's only magnified.

·
Super Moderator
12,108 Posts
For the little of a price difference, I can't think of a reason not to get the 2013.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I don't look at vehicles as an investment but in this case because of the build year difference for a pretty small price difference you have to add that equation in.
5 years down the road you will be either trading in a 5 year or an 8 year old vehicle, which one do you think will be worth more towards another vehicle and how much difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for confirming 2013 is the way to go.
Now for the ugly part, going to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You gain 3k worth in brakes, tires and warranty. NO BRAINER. I would not even consider taking a chance on a SHAKER!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have yet to test drive a 2013 Outback but read that they are improved over my 2010 Outback. I have the power seats and like that feature (next time I am not going to get a black interior - darkens the interior too much for my tastes) but what I am not fond of is the heavily tinted glass in my 2010. It hinders night vision and blocks my view of colors - such as the lights on police cars in the rear view mirror. Obviously this is just personal choice but if I were buying a 2013 I would opt for the value leader and the model without the heavily tinted glass. I would think the new engine might require less long term maintenance but does it also require synthetic motor oil that is more expensive than the engine oil for the 2010? I would reckon that the insurance and property taxes taxes on the 2010 would be less. In the long run the 2013 for $3,000 more (along with the full warranty) might be the better value. Clearly these are subjective opinions. Subaru on!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do some homework and then bid low...

The winter is a good time to shop as the dealerships aren't exactly crawling with shoppers...

If you like the options and Carfax is clean on the 2010 and the consensus is the 2013 is the way to go for $3K difference, then bid $19,5 on the 2010 and hold on $20K even for it including dealer fee. ~$6K is a worthy difference for 3 years and you never know until you ask the question. FWIW, my father in law has a 2010 bought in summer of 2009 that's flawless today with 60K miles.

Then if they don't budge on the 2010, you buy the 2013 and enjoy the new car payment, er... smell!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The winter is a good time to shop as the dealerships aren't exactly crawling with shoppers...

If you like the options and Carfax is clean on the 2010 and the consensus is the 2013 is the way to go for $3K difference, then bid $19,5 on the 2010 and hold on $20K even for it including dealer fee. ~$6K is a worthy difference for 3 years and you never know until you ask the question. FWIW, my father in law has a 2010 bought in summer of 2009 that's flawless today with 60K miles.

Then if they don't budge on the 2010, you buy the 2013 and enjoy the new car payment, er... smell!
I think this is a GREAT idea. Although I doubt they'll budge on the 2010, it's worth a shot. For $6k, it would make the decision a little tougher.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I traded in my 2010 OB Limited. Nothing wrong with it except wife bought the wrong color (black) and now wants white. Also, she wanted the backup camera so that she would not run over the grand nephew and niece - I wanted the other SAP features. Approx 40k miles and well maintaned. Somebody got a good deal on it....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Go with the 2013. The synthetic oil gets you 7500 mile oil change intervals as well. I also echo the brakes, tires, etc age at 30K miles. COnsider the tires half gone at least even if they were rotated religiously and the brakes...eh, ya never know..depends on who was driving it.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Looking to buy my first Outback.
I can get a 2010 with 30K miles for $22,000 or a 2013 2.5i Premium for $25,200
From what I understand 2013 has a number of improvements:

New engine that has already been used in Forester that may be more reliable and slightly better mpg.

Improved handling and ride.

For those reasons I am leaning towards the 2013.
Saving $3000 for the 2010 isn't making sense to me right now.
I need to have the Premium model to get power seats which are a requirement for me. Otherwise I would consider the base model and save a few thousand $.
I believe that my 2010 OB Limited with Moonroof, USB/Bluetooth Connections, nets (all sets) and All Weather Mats resold for about $22,500 by the dealer after the trade-in. It also had the remote starter.

Edit: Forgot to add that it was Subaru Certified.

Now having said that, the age, miles, etc... would have me pause on the purchase of any used auto - even a Subaru. A couple of grand price difference may not be offset by the previous owners "problems", albeit undocumented.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just in case you needed another nod for the 2013... I just took possession of my new 2013 2.5 Limited after losing my 2011 in a head on back in September. The difference in the ride is noticeable, especially that high speed vibration that someone mentioned. It is smoother in general. I'm guessing you're not going for the whole enchilada, tech-wise BUT I will tell you that everything about this car and it's electronics is far more refined. I like the 2011 but I am in love with the 2013 on a whole other level. Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
17 Participants
Pool Runner
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing