Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(It's technically going into the Baja but I know it will get more feedback here)

So as much as the wife loves the Baja she's never been happy with the power it has.

We've looked into a couple of ways (super charger, turbo swap) and keep coming up with the same result as far as being a daily driver: H6 swap.

Between the timing chain and the general maintenance free life they have until 225k+ the only downside is premium fuel requirement which isn't a big deal.

So I've been keeping an eye out here and there for an H6 01-04 Outback for the right price.

I didn't have a lot of luck. Kept searching for months.

Opened up my search some more to include Outback Sedans (I always forget about Outback Sedans) and still no luck.

The original plan was buy a running and driving car, swap the drive train into the Baja, then swap the Baja drive train back and sell the car to recoup some costs.

Then I found a listing for a VDC Sedan, rear end damage, 150k, runs and drives, and no title. (Certificate of ownership, salvage)

While I liked the idea of the wife having VDC I didn't like the idea of destroying a VDC in the process. This works out perfectly as the vehicle is never going to see the road again.

Paid the owner and drove it home last night. :wink2:

VDC and ABS system appears to be fine. It does currently have a check engine light but the engine isn't making any strange noises and it happily chugged away for 150 miles without overheating or any smoke so I assume it's a minor issue. I will pull the code and make sure it's fixed before swapping into the Baja (why bring problems in?)

I also plan to do a refresh on the H6 while it's out of the car. Plugs, coils, etc. Any other major things others recommend I should do while I have the opportunity is welcome. Again, the engine is at 150k so I imagine it's got plenty of life at the moment.

The plan now is to just use the VDC as a donor vehicle and sell the unused components plus the excess Baja parts (EJ25, 4EAT) to recoup some build costs.

As it stands, the current plan is:

Swap the Engine, Transmission, and Rear Differential, Radiator, Condensor, Power Steering pump, and AC pump are all H6 specific.

Swap Brake Booster and Brake Master Cylinder (VDC has a specific one)

Swap the ECU, other computers, and ABS Pump (All H6 VDC specific)

Strip the interior completely and move the wiring harness over. Merge the VDC harness with the Baja rear harness (the cargo lamp and the rear brake are different, not sure what else yet)

Keep the 'normal' climate control and avoid the Auto one from the VDC.

Undecided on the McIntosh unit. It really is nice.

The front and rear hubs, strut assemblies, springs, and brake assemblies are all staying as they currently are on the Baja. They all appear to be the same.

The H6 front strut springs are different but the Baja is higher than the Outback, so I'm going to have to check into that.

This is likely going to be a winter project (Jan-March)

So I'll be posting more updates then but for now it's just a parts hunt. Since I have a running and driving car as a donor I don't figure I'll need a lot more parts.

Once I think I'm ready, the VDC is mostly disassembled, and I am wanting to jump into this project I plan to take a week off of work to hopefully finish the majority of it in that time. We'll see.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any feedback or anything obvious I'm missing currently.

Attachments

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,152 Posts
While you have the engine out, I'd replace the VCG when you're doing plugs. Order of magnitude easier when not shoehorned into a Gen 2 engine bay.

With the 57ish bolts that hold the timing chain cover on (WHY?!) I would avoid cracking it open without good reason.

Mal has a slight whine that he was doing when I bought him, and he's been doing for my 28K miles of ownership thusfar. I'm guessing the early build (he has a 11/01 build date) guides are either not as robust or more likely, he had several 8000-10000 mile conventional oil changes based on the sludge build up I found.

That said, I've done well with M1 0w40 in him. MPG hit is noticeable, but slight. Trying for a 10K OCI and then a UOA to see how he's holding up.

Also, of course it's green.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,270 Posts
Undecided on the McIntosh unit. It really is nice.
cons:

there is nowhere to move the subwoofer to on the baja...

the cd player is picky about burns, and the tape player is the best way to get other things to play into it.

I wouldn't bother, and just replace the stereo with exactly what you want by selling the McIntosh stuff and recouping the costs.

The front and rear hubs, strut assemblies, springs, and brake assemblies are all staying as they currently are on the Baja. They all appear to be the same.
doublecheck the rear caliper. I thought it was bigger on H6 models.

Gonna swap all the faux wood interior bits?

i eagerly await pics.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cons:

there is nowhere to move the subwoofer to on the baja...

the cd player is picky about burns, and the tape player is the best way to get other things to play into it.

I wouldn't bother, and just replace the stereo with exactly what you want by selling the McIntosh stuff and recouping the costs.

doublecheck the rear caliper. I thought it was bigger on H6 models.

Gonna swap all the faux wood interior bits?

i eagerly await pics.
It's possible the Baja got the H6 upgrade at some point as Rockauto lists :

CENTRIC 14247512 Includes: Pads, Bracket, and Hardware Info
Rear Left (Only 3 Remaining)

CENTRIC 14247511 Includes: Pads, Bracket, and Hardware Info
Rear Right

For both an 06 Baja and an 02 Outback H6.

Not sure on the wood yet. I actually like the steering wheel but she likes her current interior. Not sure how much the wood would clash unless swapping it all.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
good news if it is, you can sell it for a decent amount to a GD wrx owner for an upgrade~

more cost recoup~~

oh, hows the rearview? does it still work? Asking for a friend <_< yeah, thats the ticket...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good news if it is, you can sell it for a decent amount to a GD wrx owner for an upgrade~

more cost recoup~~

oh, hows the rearview? does it still work? Asking for a friend <_< yeah, thats the ticket...
It's all janked up, sorry bud. Doing the half dark liquid all the time thing. Anything else you want me to check?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I'm sure people will want the dash if its not sun cracked.

Don't forget the nice in-door corner lights for yourself, or if you don't feel like wiring them, I might be interested.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
853 Posts
Subscribed. I'm also looking to purchase a donor H6 soon.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,350 Posts
what is the check engine light?

do you intend to "try" to keep the VDC system going.

do you intend to migrate the seats, and seat airbags with the BIU. ?

the swap from EJ251 to EZ30D is a big job it seems.

(and a agree on valve cover gaskets, NGK double plat spark plugs, new oil cooler gasket (with extra goo on the gasket),

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got a chance to pull the code.

P0171 and P0174.

Lean Bank.

Seems to be the theme lately.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,350 Posts
Just got a chance to pull the code.

P0171 and P0174.

Lean Bank.

Seems to be the theme lately.
..front o2 sensor me thinks. ....maybe get a p0420 and some minor misfires.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Looking into it more it looks like I'll have to swap the fuel pump as it is also different between the H4 Baja and the VDC H6.

Going to get a bootleg FSM for both of the vehicles.

Also found this thread https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/186-baja/376233-vdc-swap-baja-having-mil-code-p0453.html

I'm sure people will want the dash if its not sun cracked.

Don't forget the nice in-door corner lights for yourself, or if you don't feel like wiring them, I might be interested.
The puddle lamps?

The Baja already has them. You want?

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,362 Posts
The brake lines between the MC and the ABS pump are larger in the VDC cars so you will need to move those over.
You will need to add the steering angle sensor and yaw sensor. Hopefully they will just drop into the Baja steering column and console.

This is a big project. Look forward to seeing the results!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The brake lines between the MC and the ABS pump are larger in the VDC cars so you will need to move those over.
You will need to add the steering angle sensor and yaw sensor. Hopefully they will just drop into the Baja steering column and console.

This is a big project. Look forward to seeing the results!
Do you know if the lines between the ABS Pump and the brakes are different? The brake rotors, calipers, axles, and hubs all list as the same.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,350 Posts
Do you know if the lines between the ABS Pump and the brakes are different? The brake rotors, calipers, axles, and hubs all list as the same.
look for Bosch labels on the VDC car's braking system. ...maybe the only german things to be found.

and you call pull the cars side by side an compare / contrast

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Relevant Threads from all the internet I've Found: (Feel free to add your own)

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=35185669&postcount=7 This user did a Turbo Baja to an EZ30D. (5 Speed)

Stuffing a Legacy H6 in a 03 Baja, how hard can it be? - scoobytruck.com This is a H4 5 Speed to EZ30D although not a lot of info. They mention doing work on the wiring harness since the EZ30 was never offered with a manual. It's not relevant to me but might be helpful for someone else.

H6 EZ30D 5 SPEED Baja !! - scoobytruck.com Another H4 to H6 5 speed swap. Little bit more info. Again mentioning tricking the ECU for going auto to manual.

Can't find much more info than this. It's a Swedish(?) Baja H6 Swap. Looks well done, completely factory look. Pretty much what I'm going for (no red intake manifold) Appears to be promotional for some type of parts company based on the signs on the car.

Another swap. This seems to be done completely by a single individual. This also seems to be a manual.

https://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t155496-dynes-1999-2-5rs-h6-ez30d-swap.html An RS with an H6 swap (well documented along with custom intake and headers)

http://frostedsun.com/subaru/ A directory for an H6 swap and getting rid of the engine codes.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103504052619189052953/albums/5783992035463503841 Folder of pics of swap in an Outback.

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/47861-transplanting-h6.html Thread on swap in an Outback.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,350 Posts
and just isolating your search for bajas will eliminate the more typical swaps, just do to the rarity of the bajas.

as a example:

lockmedic had a white 2000-2004 H4 wagon that he put a EZ30D into,...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So doing some more research I continuously come to the issue of merging the harness.

However, someone please mistake me if I'm wrong, I am not going to need to do that.

The plan is to move the entire VDC harness over to the Baja. Since the front half of the vehicles are the same no merging will be necessary. Unbolt from A move to B.

The only part that's going to be necessary to merge is the tail light section as it's different between the sedan and the Baja (gee I wonder why)

Beyond that:

To maintain the fog lamp, cruise, heated mirror, cargo lamp, AND VDC buttons I'm going to have to add a switch socket somewhere. Or lose one of those things.

The third/ high brake light is likely different. Not a big issue. Shouldn't be hard to merge.

The unique to Baja "trunk ajar" icon on the gauge cluster will likely be wired into the Trunk Ajar icon on the VDC gauge cluster as the plan is to move the gauge cluster as well.

The Odometer will be incorrect as a result of swapping the cluster. I will look into this.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,350 Posts
heated mirrors is in the switch panel on the door with the mirror motor.

heated wipers is above your left knee, and does the baja have that or are you going to move the windshield to get it? (a nice feature).

the "VDC off switch" should be maintained even with a smaller switch. when you want to spin to get the car over a snowbank or unstuck, you need to spin. (or Mrs. Brucey will be pulling a ABS fuse to do it).

its location on a 2002 is nice, and out of the way,...I never hit it by accident. = it cancels when you get over 37mph.

the VDC computer always maintains power, the switch just stops it from intervening, ...so toggling on / off is really fast.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts