Subaru Outback Forums banner

301 - 314 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
9 Posts
I'm hoping I can make the argument based on Gen and not year: 2002 and 2003 are identical drivetrain/emissions.

I'm planning on swapping the engine/trans and ECU/TCUs 1st, then rear axle for brakes and diff (Impreza "Sport" has drums, pleh). Once everything works I can do the AC mess for creature comforts. Probably doing the swap in the winter if the engine isn't too much of a mess, so that shouldn't be a problem, except for maybe defogging the windshield.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,361 Posts
I would like to move the impreza discussion to a new thread, and off @Brucey 's build.

as the impreza swap would be a different owner and different car. can't find the move check offs this moment on the new platform. :rolleyes:

....and getting it plated / registered in california would be a problem.....
I think plating it with AZ or Nevada would be easier.....if possible.

·
Registered
2003 Impreza Outback Sport 2.5L - K&N stock box filter, resonator eliminator tube, eBay header, WRX exhaust, Perrin crank pulley, Koni fronts, Whiteline end links front and rear and rear sway bar
9 Posts
Anything in Cali related to cars stuff is a problem. I was a smog tech for 6 years, I'm familiar with that racket.

This project isn't going anywhere for a while, at least not until next year, so move it where you think it needs to be. I have made some related rplies on threads about this potential swap, I can track them down for consolidation purposes if you like

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,361 Posts
Anything in Cali related to cars stuff is a problem. I was a smog tech for 6 years, I'm familiar with that racket.

This project isn't going anywhere for a while, at least not until next year, so move it where you think it needs to be. I have made some related rplies on threads about this potential swap, I can track them down for consolidation purposes if you like

maybe just start a new 2000-2004 thread on the potential swap. admins switched to Xeno from Vbulletin, and hard to find the more complex mod tools... if they exist

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
Exhaust leak is fixed.

The flange between the Y pipe and the mid pipe is broken. It only has one bolt currently but is holding and is quiet. I figure it will fail eventually and I'll put on a clamp on flange.

Direct FM Modulator installed. Going to use up the ash tray (neither of us are smokers) for the aux in and power port instead of drilling any of the original dash.

Subwoofer will not fit under the seat, unfortunately.

Considering placing it in the rear center console since that space isn't used and I'm not sure where else it could go at this point.

I also got a spare Alternator, PS Pump, and AC pump. Not sure if they're good or not but they were free so eh.

Back to the airbags: Is the connector used to diagnose the VDC system (shown earlier in this thread) the same as the connector for the air bag codes?

I was told it was grey while the VDC connector I used earlier is white. There is a grey connector open and facing down readily available under the steering column.

The airbag light and that seat panel (still beige) are the last two real pieces of this puzzle. Car is driving good otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,162 Posts
Reading:
Connect the diagnosis terminal to diagnosis connector terminal No.2 in the driver's seat lower cover area and watch the flashes. Pic attached.

Clearing:

Turn the ignition switch ON.
Connect the diagnosis terminal to diagnosis connector terminal No.2 in the driver's seat lower cover area.
While the warning light flashes, connect another diagnosis terminal to diagnosis connector terminal No.3.
Once the memory is erased, the warning light returns to the normal flash rate (0.6 sec on). The failure to recover the normal flash rate indicates that trouble parts still remain. Having repaired such parts, erase the memory again and confirm that the normal flash rate has returned.
When the memory has been cleared, disconnect the diagnosis terminal from the diagnosis connector.
Air Bag Diag Connector.gif

Diagnostic Code Reference:

Air Bag Codes 1.gif
Air Bag Codes 2.gif
Air Bag Codes 3.gif

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Yup.

Either I'm doing it wrong or something else is wrong. I can't get any response from the light.

Airbag components I didn't transfer from the donor car:

Front shock sensor in the fender.

Harness from the fender to the A pillar.

Seat belts (they were the wrong color)

Either one of those components causes the light or there is something else going on or I missed a connection.

I felt like I was pretty thorough while installing but it's still possible I missed something.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
So you left the old sensors on the BAJA and just plugged them in?
Did you swap the restraints module from the donor to the BAJA?
Do you still have the donor car sensors?
Is the grounding in the car good?
Yes.

Baja seatbelts. Sensors in the B pillar were moved over.

No.

I'm going to assume grounding is good. No other issues with the car and I was pretty thorough in moving the harness over.

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,270 Posts

not to drag politics overtly in here, but is any of the stuff being talked about at the federal level stand to affect this kind of swap, too?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
VDC Baja Update:

Finally gave up and painted the side piece with matte black spray paint. It doesn't quite match nor does it look that good if I'm honest but it's an improvement over the tan.

Will continue looking for the correct part.

Installed the Donor car VIN plate on the top of the strut tower. It's accurate for the Engine and Drivetrain now but the VIN.

There was never any plate there to begin with (certain Baja builds don't have it for some reason) so I figured this way I wouldn't lose it.

Installed a new connector for the blinker. The dreaded "half lift blinker indicator" on the dash is now fixed.

Installed a proper grill to accept the chrome H6-3.0 Badge and also installed one on the tailgate (just a sticker)

Need to give it a bath but it's close to being complete. Been daily driving for about 6 months now.

Outside of the Airbag light (going to start checking all harness connections some day soon) there isn't much left to do.

A year in the making!

Attachments

301 - 314 of 314 Posts