Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea when the new 2019 OB will be available for sale and what can it add on top of 2018 options?

I had a totaled car recently. I have to buy a new car soon.
I have an 18 OB Touring 2.5. Also have a "spare" old beat up camry that I keep for my dad when he comes to US (usually Oct-April).

I'm planning to go and test the 3.6 OB to see the difference and decide it if is worth loosing a few MPGs.

I is hard for me to decide what car to get next. As 2 exact OBs doesn't sound very interesting and we really don't need a second big car. So I was thinking to get a Crosstrek. But did not really liked it after the OB. Especially no electric hand brake. So the Adaptive Cruise Control doesn't work the same way as on the OB. It cancels itself after a stop and you have to hold the brakes. Also no option for heated steering wheel. And limited options of color combinations. Plus 0% for 63mo on OB and 2.9% on Crosstrek as of now. Noisier too.

The 0% interest on OB expires April 2nd. But I'm sure it will come back. Or they could offer it on Crosstrek.

Question: Do I wait a couple months until the 2019s are out and then buy decide what to buy? I really can't wait for 2020 now. Maybe 2019 Forester might be something interesting too.
I'm just not sure how much I will have to wait. And I really don't like driving that Camry. Not spoiled, but that's a '95 and it falls apart, but still drives.. The maximum I could wait is until end of September. That will be hard...

The ascent did not impress me over OB. Have seen it recently at the auto show. Especially if you don't need a car that big, not worth over OB.

These are features that would make me consider a 2019 Crosstrek:
- improved noise cancelation
- electric parking brake and heated steering wheel options (Canadian models have both)
- ventilated seats

These are features that would make me consider a 2019 Outback over 2018:
- Ventilated seats
- front parking sensors or front/360 cameras
- automatic folding mirrors or at least memory mirrors along with the memory seats
- improved infotainment system (2018 has glitches)
- secondary display as on Crosstrek and Ascent
- hands free back gate opening
- more color combination options. I'd like a green with gray interior option for the limited. Otherwise will get a green touring to compliment the current white touring.

Which of these options have a good chance to be implemented in 2019 models? And how much more wait to find out?

Other cars on my list were:
CR-V Touring (but found out about some gas in oil problems recently).
KIA Niro Touring (Hybrid and some additional features and some missing features compared to OB). But again, it's a new car. At least one report of the same gas/oil problem as CR-V. Smart cruise control, AEB seemed not as good as Eye Sight in my 2 test drives.
KIA Sorento SXL (over 43k, don't really need a car that big now, but has more options than an OB Touring). The biggest problem with these is that they loose a lot of money in the first 2 years.

So I'm back at Subaru's (even that on the CRV forum some people complained about previous Subaru engine issues). I wish there were a few options for used cars that had all the new features including Adaptive Cruise Control.

Both me and wife like our OB. Despite a few wishes and small issues.. Maybe the 2019 would cover some of them.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
I can't imagine why you'd even consider another Outback. All you've done here on this forum is complain about the one you already have.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring in Wilderness Green
53 Posts
As far as I know, there hasn't been any info released by Subaru on the 2019 Outback. I think the next generation will be starting with the 2020 model year.

Tomorrow the 2019 Forester will be premiered at the NY Auto Show. I'd wager some of the changes in the Forester will be carried over to the next-gen Outback.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/27/2019-subaru-forester-teased-again/

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
As far as I know, there hasn't been any info released by Subaru on the 2019 Outback. I think the next generation will be starting with the 2020 model year.

Tomorrow the 2019 Forester will be premiered at the NY Auto Show. I'd wager some of the changes in the Forester will be carried over to the next-gen Outback.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/03/27/2019-subaru-forester-teased-again/
I made a thread with a link to the subaru of japan countdown clock. 18 hours 17 minutes to go.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/68-news-media/481082-official-2019-forester-debut-nyc-autoshow.html

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I can't imagine why you'd even consider another Outback. All you've done here is complain about the one you already have.
If you'd read again my post you will see that I said that we have some wishes and minor complains (infotainment issues plenty of treads of this forum) about the OB, but we like the rest. Paid $41k total for mine (including taxes, GAP, thule box, remote start, visors, hitch). So it was not cheap.

And I drive tested a bunch of other cars. Some had bells and whistles that the OB did not have. But also I found stuff about them that I did not like. I was just reading on the KIA forum about the Niro that plastic door handles are breaking and other issues. So yes, the Niro has ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, front parking sensors, better MPG. But with the issues I'm reading about made me pass on it. Especially 2 persons complaining that their AEB did not work and they rear ended someone. I trust the EyeSight more. I've seen it working. And the Adaptive cruise control on Subaru is much better than on KIA. Although I wish that I could adjust the sensitivity of it.

It's a trade off. I don't see any better options between 30k and 40k. At least not now for our needs. That's the reason I'm thinking to wait to see what 2019 has to offer.

In what month was the 2018 available for sale in dealerships last year?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
With the next generation OB coming up in 2020, I doubt that they'll make any changes at all for 2019, and especially not anything really new like ventilated seats or a different display. Since the Ascent has them, I'd expect the ventilated seats to show up on the high-end trims of the new Forester (unveiled later this week) and the next OB.

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
With the next generation OB coming up in 2020, I doubt that they'll make any changes at all for 2019, and especially not anything really new like ventilated seats or a different display. Since the Ascent has them, I'd expect the ventilated seats to show up on the high-end trims of the new Forester (unveiled later this week) and the next OB.
With that said...I can't wait.

They all need bushings...

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
Production changeover for the new model year Legacy/Outback usually occurs in late June, with full production resuming after the 4th of July shutdown, and first customer deliveries in late July or early August. Last year was no exception.

Reactions: Secerator

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
Production changeover for the new model year Legacy/Outback usually occurs in late June, with full production resuming after the 4th of July shutdown, and first customer deliveries in late July or early August. Last year was no exception.
Again ... I can't wait until I have dealer parts I can buy and copy...

MUUUWAAAhhhAAA!

:drama:

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
While on the subject of the electric parking brake, maybe one of the well read posters can tell me some thing I haven't been able to find mention of in the manual. If when applying the brakes and the pedal drops to the floor and responds to no amount of pumping will the electric brake be able to provide any help as pulling the handle on a old timely brake?

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
... will the electric brake be able to provide any help as pulling the handle on a old timely brake?
Yes ... according to the manual. It's strictly an emergency-only operation, though, since the parking brake choices are full OFF or full ON.

Reactions: Hilola

·
Registered
16' Outback Limited
68 Posts
Any idea when the new 2019 OB will be available for sale and what can it add on top of 2018 options?

I had a totaled car recently. I have to buy a new car soon.
I have an 18 OB Touring 2.5. Also have a "spare" old beat up camry that I keep for my dad when he comes to US (usually Oct-April).

I'm planning to go and test the 3.6 OB to see the difference and decide it if is worth loosing a few MPGs.

I is hard for me to decide what car to get next. As 2 exact OBs doesn't sound very interesting and we really don't need a second big car. So I was thinking to get a Crosstrek. But did not really liked it after the OB. Especially no electric hand brake. So the Adaptive Cruise Control doesn't work the same way as on the OB. It cancels itself after a stop and you have to hold the brakes. Also no option for heated steering wheel. And limited options of color combinations. Plus 0% for 63mo on OB and 2.9% on Crosstrek as of now. Noisier too.

The 0% interest on OB expires April 2nd. But I'm sure it will come back. Or they could offer it on Crosstrek.

Question: Do I wait a couple months until the 2019s are out and then buy decide what to buy? I really can't wait for 2020 now. Maybe 2019 Forester might be something interesting too.
I'm just not sure how much I will have to wait. And I really don't like driving that Camry. Not spoiled, but that's a '95 and it falls apart, but still drives.. The maximum I could wait is until end of September. That will be hard...

The ascent did not impress me over OB. Have seen it recently at the auto show. Especially if you don't need a car that big, not worth over OB.

These are features that would make me consider a 2019 Crosstrek:
- improved noise cancelation
- electric parking brake and heated steering wheel options (Canadian models have both)
- ventilated seats

These are features that would make me consider a 2019 Outback over 2018:
- Ventilated seats
- front parking sensors or front/360 cameras
- automatic folding mirrors or at least memory mirrors along with the memory seats
- improved infotainment system (2018 has glitches)
- secondary display as on Crosstrek and Ascent
- hands free back gate opening
- more color combination options. I'd like a green with gray interior option for the limited. Otherwise will get a green touring to compliment the current white touring.

Which of these options have a good chance to be implemented in 2019 models? And how much more wait to find out?

Other cars on my list were:
CR-V Touring (but found out about some gas in oil problems recently).
KIA Niro Touring (Hybrid and some additional features and some missing features compared to OB). But again, it's a new car. At least one report of the same gas/oil problem as CR-V. Smart cruise control, AEB seemed not as good as Eye Sight in my 2 test drives.
KIA Sorento SXL (over 43k, don't really need a car that big now, but has more options than an OB Touring). The biggest problem with these is that they loose a lot of money in the first 2 years.

So I'm back at Subaru's (even that on the CRV forum some people complained about previous Subaru engine issues). I wish there were a few options for used cars that had all the new features including Adaptive Cruise Control.

Both me and wife like our OB. Despite a few wishes and small issues.. Maybe the 2019 would cover some of them.

So in short, the OB was my wife and I's interest. But what attracted us to shop for a Subaru in fall of 2015 was the Crosstrek. Showing up at the dealer, we instantly knew that the OB was what we wanted and needed. From my view, the OB is the flagship of Subaru. Yes, the Forrest and all but OB seems to be the main Subaru. Besides, the OB is fit to be a full family car over the Forrester with the larger cargo area. That is until the Ascent hits the streets. The luxury options of our 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with Eyesight in Venetian Red was better than a Crosstrek for us, hands down. The main purpose was the huge size different in space for a family of 4 (new born and 5 year old at the time). Strollers, car seats and such fit better in the OB than the Crosstrek. All in all, we are glad we chose the OB over the Crosstrek. Just wish they had the Ascent available in late 2015 because we would have gotten a limited with the bench seat for 2nd row. Our OB is almost paid off and we figure 2-3 years from now we will upgrade to an Ascent with captain chairs in the 2nd row since our kids will be older. Who knows, we may shift from Subaru all together. But anyway, hope that helps.

Recap:
- Luxury options were better for us in the OB.
- Size difference.
- Being the icon of Subaru was a driven factor.
- Also, didn't mention gas mileage. I think for the size difference, it is more efficient in the OB. Hauls more and still gets comparable gas mileage. Plus, we can tow a small trailer with our hitch on the OB. Crosstrek have a significantly lower tow rating.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can't imagine why you'd even consider another Outback. All you've done here is complain about the one you already have.
If you'd read again my post you will see that I said that we have some wishes and minor complains (infotainment issues plenty of treads of this forum) about the OB, but we like the rest. Paid $41k total for mine (including taxes, GAP, thule box, remote start, visors, hitch). So it was not cheap.

And I drive tested a bunch of other cars. Some had bells and whistles that the OB did not have. But also I found stuff about them that I did not like. I was just reading on the KIA forum about the Niro that plastic door handles are breaking and other issues. So yes, the Niro has ventilated seats, power folding mirrors, front parking sensors, better MPG. But with the issues I'm reading about made me pass on it. Especially 2 persons complaining that their AEB did not work and they rear ended someone. I trust the EyeSight more. I've seen it working. And the Adaptive cruise control on Subaru is much better than on KIA. Although I wish that I could adjust the sensitivity of it.

It's a trade off. I don't see any better options between 30k and 40k. At least not now for our needs. That's the reason I'm thinking to wait to see what 2019 has to offer.

You paid 41k for a 2.5 Outback? I hope they at least lubed you up first.

·
Registered
'16 STi, '17 Outback
112 Posts
lease a Forester for 24months, there's incredible lease deals out there as new one will be introduced on Friday, delivery starts in September.

you can even get it with a 6spd and with the 2.5 if you want to row your own gear and make it fun, not to mention whoever has one on the lot will be motivated to move that vehicle, right now the deal is Limited Forester for $262 month, $0 down.

https://leasehackr.com/blog/2018/3/19/subaru-forester-262-month-0-down

Or browse the site, you just have to be willing to call dealerships, I was able to get a Cruze LT for $129/month taxed in for a friend for 24months, and we are in Canada where lease rate is usually lot more expensive compare to Americans.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
245 Posts
Well as he stated ... that 41K ... does include taxes, gap insurance, and a few other things that can definitely add up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of smart ass comments in here. If you don't have anything of value to say, better you go and drive your subie instead of answering.

..and some that got the base model and think they are the smartest of the bunch by doing so "because utility vehicle". Each has it's own wants and needs and financial situations. I bought the Touring because I hated the look of the plastic rails and I wanted a heated steering wheel and the brown leather.

And no, $41k was not the price of the car. It was the total with all accessories, fees and taxes.

MSRP of what I bout was about $41k. This included all the accessories purchased and installed by the dealer:
Remote start, trailer hitch, window wind deflectors, back seat protecting cover, all weather mats, thule cross bars, the thule big carrier box (I think the biggest), Side moldings, wheel locks, auto dimming mirrors... basically everything..

The price I paid for all of these, looking at the papers now:

Sale price: $36993
Delivery: $595
ETR FEE: $79
7% Sales tax: $2636.69
GA MV Warranty rights fee: $3
License: $25
Title: $19

TOTAL: $40350.69
Plus $900 for GAP

Grand total: $41250.69

Maybe not the best deal out there, but surely I pad below average of what others have paid for something similar. If you show me someone who got everything I did for less than $36k before taxes (Touring, including remote start and thule bars, box, trailer hitch installed by dealer) than I would agree that I did a bad deal. I'm not interested in hearing how much others paid for Premium and Limited.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts