Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
I didn't like how underpowered the H6 and H4 felt in the Subaru Outback compared to the turbocharged in the Subaru Forester up here in Colorado.

I'm not exactly interested in the interior but it's not like I'm expecting to buy a Lexus when I go with Subaru. ;D The Outback's interior wasn't far from the Forester so I guess it's just a personal view when it comes to "luxury."

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
In some respects I don't understand the XV's place internationally. Here its their 2.0 high ground clearance option that is already being labeled as under powered. So I can only imaging how a 2.0 Forester would feel. But if I had to chose between an XV and a Forester that are built on the same platform and the same motor I'm going to chose the Forester. I guess we'll see how well the XV sells.

·
Registered
2013 OB Ltd. 2.5i Satin White Pearl - Special Appearance Package
87 Posts
We currently own a 2010 Forester Limited XT and we just bought a 2013 OB 2.5i Limited SAP. We actually, traded our other 2010 Forester Limited XT for the OB.

They are both great cars, but aimed at different segments of the market.

The OB feels more refined. It's quiet, roomy, has tons of leg room back and front and I find that it lulls me into driving more relaxed. Not at all aggressively. The interior surfaces are soft and with a leather interior the cabin feels like an upscaled sedan. Dare I say, almost Lexus like, IMO. You do feel the weight of the OB and the size feels substantial (like there's a whole lot of vehicle behind you). We have the 2.5i, so it's no speed demon, but we are satisfied with the performance.

The Forester OTOH, now feels almost like an economy car in some ways by comparrison. We have the leather interior with Nav etc. and it's a very nice car. The leather and hard surface interior parts aren't as soft and refined as in the OB. The ride is no where near as quiet as the OB, and you feel the bumps in the road. You don't have the sense of driving a boulevard cruiser with a Forester. I like the short front and rear overhangs. Parking is a breeze. Compared to the OB the Forester is quite nimble. We have the turbo model (XT) and for a CUV it is quite fast off the line. We drove the OB 3.6 and I think the Forester XT is quicker (not always a good thing). ;) The forester also has better outward visibility all around. The huge moonroof opens the interior up even more. I find the Forester to be a fun little car and I like the looks.

Fortunately, I don't have to choose one over the other. If I could improve on the Forester, I would want it to be more like an Acura RDX, or Audi Q5. Retain it's sporty nimble character, but have a quieter more upscaled interior. I'm actually waiting for the release of the new BMW X1 and upcoming Audi Q3.

Like I said, i think the OB and Forester appeal to different consumers. Depends on what you're looking for, but I don't think you'll do wrong with either.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
The OB feels more refined. It's quiet, roomy, has tons of leg room back and front and I find that it lulls me into driving more relaxed. Not at all aggressively. The interior surfaces are soft and with a leather interior the cabin feels like an upscaled sedan. Dare I say, almost Lexus like, IMO. You do feel the weight of the OB and the size feels substantial (like there's a whole lot of vehicle behind you). We have the 2.5i, so it's no speed demon, but we are satisfied with the performance.
This is why I went with the Outback. It's a relaxing drive for the most part, and is fairly affordable. Makes for a good road trip, camping, astronomy car. And down the road, a family car as well.

·
Registered
2013 OB Ltd. 2.5i Satin White Pearl - Special Appearance Package
87 Posts
This is why I went with the Outback. It's a relaxing drive for the most part, and is fairly affordable. Makes for a good road trip, camping, astronomy car. And down the road, a family car as well.
That sums it up quite well. I'd like to hear more about your astronomy aspect. Sounds interesting.

As for "down the road", my wife and i are just passing that intersection. :D

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
This. I can't believe they even sell any Foresters given the marginal price difference between them and the OB. The Foresters I drove felt cheaper than my old Saturn VUE. If you've ever driven a VUE, you know how bad that makes the Forester. Ever since they got rid of the MT in the FXT, I struggle to find a single reason anyone would buy a Forester.
remember not all customers can afford the 3K price diff....also, there are people like the shorter wheel base(city folks for tight parking, the OB is a whale in tight city road parking), rear view visibility, some people like sitting tall(suv stance) and (mild) off road guys like Forester for the approach/departure angles.

and yes, the majority of the market can afford (and willing to pay the 3K premium) and get the OB. (and the sales numbers shows that too).

Remember, The Forester (this gen) was a **** good car despite its tinny, cheap interior and 4 speed auto... It won the 2009 car of the year and Subaru cannot make them fast enough, that is until the gen4 OB comes out the following years.... I would get a forester over any CRV, Rav4(Not the v6),KIA, Hyundai, VW,Suzuki,....it;s just the OB is a realy great car!(Value wise)

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
The Forester OTOH, now feels almost like an economy car in some ways by comparrison. We have the leather interior with Nav etc. and it's a very nice car. The leather and hard surface interior parts aren't as soft and refined as in the OB. The ride is no where near as quiet as the OB, and you feel the bumps in the road. You don't have the sense of driving a boulevard cruiser with a Forester. I like the short front and rear overhangs. Parking is a breeze. Compared to the OB the Forester is quite nimble. We have the turbo model (XT) and for a CUV it is quite fast off the line. We drove the OB 3.6 and I think the Forester XT is quicker (not always a good thing). ;) The forester also has better outward visibility all around. The huge moonroof opens the interior up even more. I find the Forester to be a fun little car and I like the looks.
totally agree with you on the Forester vs ob. I test drove the OB (h4 and H6) and Forester (X and XT) on the same day. started with the XT first. like it a lot but telling myself "I think I can over look the cons your mentioned above". then, the Forester, X...didn't even make it out of the dealer parking lot...return it for the OB 4CYL...
WOW, Nice interior and drive it and really like it until Ihave to merge to a busy(faster) st.... What a drag! ..on to the H6 OB, 300-400 yds after pulling out of the dealer, i knew the 4 cyl OB didn;t stand a chance....

then 2-3 months later, back and forth btw the Forester XT and 3.6R OB.....
finally, decided compromise some speed (and yes, i think the XT accelerate faster than the 3.6R OB) for a little more comfort...

Ask me today, 3.6R vs FXT..... my answer is still the same ....BOTH!:D

21 - 29 of 29 Posts