Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm thinking of getting a new vehicle and have narrowed it down between these two.

I know the price difference is a little different (30k vs 6 million) but that's not really important to me.

The outback is 87 octane only but the Abrams can run any type of fuel. So advantage goes to Abrams there.

The outback holds 5 people but the Abrams only holds 4. So advantage outback goes there.

The trunk is technically bigger in the outback but the Abrams has a higher load capacity Of 1000 lbs vs 22 tons.

They both will do the same speed off road with the outback leaving it in the dust on the highway.

Just having a hard time deciding here. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,171 Posts
i guess that it would depend on just how rough the shortcuts are that you like to take going to work and fetching the groceries. Advantage - M1

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,192 Posts
abrams needs fuel trucks chasing it.

and maint. mechanics in their own odd thing that looks like a tank with a tow hook on the back, and a huge engine crane on the top.
(road service = costly).

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,108 Posts
Just get one of each, then you'll be set. The cost difference is only $6 million vs. $6.03 million. Chump change!

Not sure what kind of recovery strap you'd need for the Abrams, though.

Reactions: Zambezi_Pirate

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

and maint. mechanics in their own odd thing that looks like a tank with a tow hook on the back, and a huge engine crane on the top.
(road service = costly).
That's a good point.

I forgot the Abrams has laser guided lock on ability.

But the Outback has eye sight and the Abrams doesn't.

Just such a hard choice. :|

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Much better bragging rights with the M1 and no one will mistake it for a "chick" car.

And the M1 doesn't need no stinking eyesight.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6 Limited
98 Posts
Don't forget about color options... Many to choose from on the Outback. I hear the Abrams is only offered in Desert Tan for now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 OB 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl
85 Posts
How about the handling? Does the M1 come with the beefed up sway bar or can it be added?? I have a 180˚ off ramp near my house....these kind of decisions make my head hurt.......a 100K ambassador coupon sure would be handy...can anyone help?

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts

(road service = costly).
With a 500 gal fuel tank I think it's range won't be that bad. Plus, imagine all the savings by not having to switch between winter and summer tires. M1, and it's not even close.
And if you really want to get an Outback, all you'll need to do is to drive up to one in the M1 and ask nicely if you could have it - no one would be able to say no.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
With a 500 gal fuel tank I think it's range won't be that bad. Plus, imagine all the savings by not having to switch between winter and summer tires. M1, and it's not even close.
And if you really want to get an Outback, all you'll need to do is to drive up to one in the M1 and ask nicely if you could have it - no one would be able to say no.
they list some ranges here in miles :|:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

·
Banned
2017 Outback
179 Posts
The AGT-1500 engine in the Abrams is a dog, woefully underpowered when climbing mountains or passing other traffic, wait for the LV100-5.

Also the automatic transmission in the Abrams only has 4 forward speeds, so advantage OB
but the Abrams has 2 in reverse, so advantage Abrams

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
And the Outback could be in Trump’s military parade later this year, since it has already been decided the Abrams is too heavy and would damage DC’s streets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,192 Posts
How do the tongue weight specs compare?
you know @Brucey is just tossing out this philosophical discussion thread,

just as announcement that he is ordering a Ascent,.
...as his lifted 3.6 outback with tires is just not butch enough....and its dirty.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,398 Posts

...as his lifted 3.6 outback with tires is just not butch enough....and its dirty.
Ahh, I thought he was serious.

The M1 doesn't have an Eyesight equivalent, does it?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

That's not true. I was going to go with the M1 but after learning it's a Chrysler product I have decided to go something more reliable like a Russian made T-90.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
Speaking from experience, you'll have to shut down the engine on the M1 to order at Starbucks. No matter how loud you scream "tall vente grande cinnamon kona kava hazelnut decaf java frappe crappe slappe carmel coated latte" they just can't hear you.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
443 Posts
At 62 short tons, may limit local bridges you can cross. It’s 8 feet longer than a 1970’s Station Wagon so parking may be a problem on some streets. At 8 feet in height, most parking garages will be off limits. Of course, A1’s can usually create their own parking spaces no matter where they are....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
M1 or T-90 you never have to worry about a parking space.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts