Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi found a nice little comparison-video from a swedish website.
You don't need to understand swedish, the video speaks for itself!
(its a quicktime .mov, size: 5,7MB!)

Outback vs. XC 70 :eek:

greetings
Arne

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I'm surprised the Volvo didn't do better than it did.

Although, I think I'd rather be in a Volvo than the Subaru in a broadside collision (see my gallery)...

Funny, with his Swedish pronunciation, the name "Subaru" sounds Finnish.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Well an older OB isn't as good safetywise as a new one. 2000+ have class leading saftey ratings in all categories. I've never been a big fan of Volvo, its just another EuroFord brand :rolleyes: They may be nice cars, but I know my OB is far superior than many higher end cars in many different areas :D The main ones, price and value ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The first and second generation of Outbacks had high safety standards. I've seen crashtests and they where on top of the line compared to other station wagons(Volvo, Mercedes and VW, e.g.).
Haven't seen a test for the all-new MY04 (MY05 USDM) yet, but I doubt it will fail, since crashratings do usually improve from one to the next generation.
I'm glad they introduced sidebags in the second generation, there lies the improvement from first to second generation.
From second to third generation, the new windowbags will give new improvements as well...

greetings
Arne

·
Registered
194 Posts
OB-->:xnuts: <--Volvo

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
While I love my Subaru the Volvo has one thing Subaru doesn't... excellent build quality. Volvos are far from Ford eurotrash :rolleyes:

The xc70 is a really nice car and I think the newer ones have an updated awd system that is significantly better than the one in the video. Would I trade my outback for one? Maybe.:D

Kevin::

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Yeah, it is a better body shell, don't know about the drivetrain.

But then there is the small matter of a $20K difference in purchase price...

One other thing - I suspect that the Volvo shell has more cargo space, and a larger opening through the rear hatch. I place a lot of importance on that, as I seek to have a vehicle such as these instead of some truck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The_Lizard said:

But then there is the small matter of a $20K difference in purchase price...

True, you can't beat the Subaru in value. As far a cargo capacity, the xc70 is bigger. I parked next to one a few days ago. Made my car look kinda' small.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They switched to Haldex with the modelyear 2003, before that they used the "old" system.
But still the ratio is 95:5 front:rear, same with all other volvos including the XC90, until slippage is detected.
So its basically a FWD car.

Ok, lets do a little comparison with the german models.
XC70 2,5T vs. Outback 3.0
vs.

Engine
XC70 2,5T
max. Power: 154 kW (210 hp)
max. Torque: 320 Nm
Acc. 0-100 km/h, MT/AT: 8,1/8,5 Sek.
Vmax. MT/AT: 210/200 km/h
Fuel-Consumption average MT/AT: 10,4/11,3 L/100 km
CO2-emission, g/km, MT/AT: 249/270
EmissionStandard: Euro 4

Outback 3,0R
max. Power: 180 kW (245 hp)
max. Torque: 297 Nm
Acc. 0-100 km/h, AT: 8,5 Sek.
Vmax. aut: 224 km/h
Fuel-Consumption average AT: 9,8 L/100km
CO2-emission, g/km, aut: 233
EmissionStandard: D4

the Car
XC70
Cargo-Space: 485 Liter
Cargo-Space max.: 1641 Liter (with reclined seats)
weight: 1814 kg (incl. Driver)
load you can add: 406kg
(max. load is 2220kg)
ride-hight: ? couldn' find...
Cargo-Area width: 1210mm
space between wheels: couldn't find...

Outback
Cargo-Space: 459 Liter
Cargo-Space max.: 1649 Liter (with reclined seats)
weight: 1545 kg (+Driver!, i think 75kg is standard) = 1620kg
load you can add: 440kg
(max. load is 2060kg)
ride-hight: 200mm
Cargo-Area width: 1376mm
space between wheels: 1071mm

Price
XC70: 43.300€ Premium(Leather, heated Seats) + 2000€ AT + 2350€ DVD-Navi + 990€ moonroof...) = 48640€

Outback: 42.830€ (incl. DVD-Navi, Leather, top loaded...everything is standard...)

Resume:
Hmm, the cargoarea is about the same size, cargo-area width is bigger than XC70. You can load more into it, the car is lighter, uses less gas, is cheaper and so on. I don't see the advantage of a XC70 here, if you not count the image in, wich is better for Volvo...

greetings
Arne

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
A great video, although subtitles would be nice. And what a great colour that Outback is ! :D

ArneH said:
Outback 3,0R
max. Power: 180 kW (245 hp)
max. Torque: 297 Nm
Acc. 0-100 km/h, AT: 8,5 Sek.

The local car mags down here recorded 0-100km/h in 7.6 seconds, faster than advertised. As a matter of fact, all Legacys/Outbacks tested so far have recorded faster times than the factory has quoted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes those are the conservative numbers stated in the german brochures.
I do believe that the Vmax actually higher, too, because even my 97 Outback AT (150hp) is capable of doing 225km/h:D, while only 190km/h is stazed in the papers...
So the new H-6 maxes out probably around 245-250 km/h...:D

greetings
Arne

·
Registered
350 Posts
ArneH said:

the Car
XC70
Cargo-Space: 485 Liter
Cargo-Space max.: 1641 Liter (with reclined seats)
weight: 1814 kg (incl. Driver)
load you can add: 406kg
(max. load is 2220kg)
ride-hight: ? couldn' find...
Cargo-Area width: 1210mm
space between wheels: couldn't find...

Outback
Cargo-Space: 459 Liter
Cargo-Space max.: 1649 Liter (with reclined seats)
weight: 1545 kg (+Driver!, i think 75kg is standard) = 1620kg
load you can add: 440kg
(max. load is 2060kg)
ride-hight: 200mm
Cargo-Area width: 1376mm
space between wheels: 1071mm

Wow! I stand corrected. The Sub has a comparable cargo area. Maybe the xc70 looks bigger because the back is squared off :8:.

Kevin

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Is the XC70 the same as the V70 Cross Country? I love the Cross Country, but at around forty grand that hurts. It is always one of the mnost comfy cars at the auto shows. Like two days ago, at the car show, I sat in it once again! Brian

·
Registered
2004 35th Anniversary Outback - H6
164 Posts
wondering what model was the outback? i know some models like mine comes standard with limited slip so my question is... does the volvo have limited slip? cuz is sure didn't look like it in that video

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
Keep in mind, too, that for those of us who insist upon a MT, there is no comparison. My 10-year old (pre-Ford) Volvo 850 wagon MT is a treasure, and I was disappointed :( that Volvo did not offer the XC in a standard.

But not to worry; their loss is my gain. That has allowed me to wait a year and get the '05 Outback XT, which on paper is the exact vehicle for my needs now. :)

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
MaverickOutback said:
wondering what model was the outback? i know some models like mine comes standard with limited slip so my question is... does the volvo have limited slip? cuz is sure didn't look like it in that video
Judging by the wheels that would be a 4-cylinder OB and likely an automatic to have a fair comparison. 4-cylinder OB's in the U.S. don't come with LSD's, but I'm not for sure about those overseas though. I know I ripped on Volvo earlier, but mudge brought up a good point- the pre-Ford Volvo's were very nice and not so Eurotrashy IMO. The one in that comparo just plain stunk, couldn't even hope to get up that hill.

Well I had a black sales manager at my old dealer who always said this, (bear with me I'm writing this in ebonics) "Who da hayll wanna buy uh Voe-Voe!" Said in a way very similiar to the likes of Chris Tucker. He always said that when they had a Volvo on the lot or were going to pick one up from another dealer or an auction.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Volvo XC90

to quote Wheels magazine here in Australia regarding the XC90 "with handling like this, be thankful for safey features" and another writer on the XC90's dynamics "I felt almost violated", whereas for the Liberty/Legacy GT "you want to drive the GT quickly, it inspires" and "magically balanced on the dirt". They went on to say the Outback was very similar to the Legacy, handling suffering only slightly with the higher ride height. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts