Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,420 Posts
That's why the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails are so popular. BFG also now has a similar tire the Trail-Terrain T/A.

·
Registered
2016, OB, 3.6R, Limited, Crystal White Pearl
175 Posts
That's why the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trails are so popular. BFG also now has a similar tire the Trail-Terrain T/A.

Here I was all set on Falken Wildpeak for my next set of tires and now there's this..... Back to the drawing board... one thing, not sure how raised white letters are going to look....

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,420 Posts
There's a black side and a white letter side so you can choose whether you want the white on the inside or outside.

Reactions: jes2

·
Registered
175 Posts
Swing and a miss on my part, thanks….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
I watched all of the videos you posted (thanks) and I have to say, I still favor the Wildpeaks. It seems like the tire was made for the OB, looks great to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5
159 Posts
Here I was all set on Falken Wildpeak for my next set of tires and now there's this..... Back to the drawing board... one thing, not sure how raised white letters are going to look....
If you drive in the snow I'd still consider the Falkens

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,420 Posts
I agree that until there are tests of the BFG tire, the Falken Trails is still the "proven" of the all-terrain tires for unibody crossovers, with praise in Crosstrek, Forester, Ascent, and Outback forums. Since Michelin owns BFG I'm sure it's not an awful tire but nobody's running them yet but someone has to be first ;)

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
Someone on here has a black Wilderness with stock size K02’s. It looks fantastic.

While some noise is expected, the trick to making it work out well is to also change to a lighter weight wheel. I believe the stock 17” wheels are 22-23 lbs, based on typical Subaru 17” stuff. The Method lightweight wheels (503 I believe) 16.5 lbs in 17”. The 6-7 lbs you save will help offset the 10 extra lbs for the K02’s. That should only give you an increase in total unsprung weight of maybe 5 lbs per corner, which isn’t bad at all considering the added tire strength. Frankly it’s what I’d do if I were trading my Touring XT for a Wilderness - and I’m considering that.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the K02 on my lifted outback 2018 3.6r and I can tell you it huums and it's heavy. If I could do it over again I'd get something that's a bit lighter and less road noise. Still think it's the best looking tire for our cars but that's just me.
Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Someone on here has a black Wilderness with stock size K02’s. It looks fantastic.

While some noise is expected, the trick to making it work out well is to also change to a lighter weight wheel. I believe the stock 17” wheels are 22-23 lbs, based on typical Subaru 17” stuff. The Method lightweight wheels (503 I believe) 16.5 lbs in 17”. The 6-7 lbs you safe will help offset the 10 extra lbs for the K02’s. That should only give you an increase in total unsprung weight of maybe 5 lbs per corner, which isn’t bad at all considering the added tire strength. Frankly it’s what I’d do if I were trading my Touring XT for a Wilderness - and I’m considering that.
Having a lighter wheel will help unsprung weight, but having the heaviest part of the object (the tire) all on the outside will still feel sluggish for acceleration and braking.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Limited. LP Aventure, Bilstein, Rallitek, Pirelli, Frontrunner, Diode Dynamics
118 Posts
Wow those BFG trail terrains are super ugly.
Pirelli makes the best looking all terrain for unibody cars. Better than the falken brand.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,420 Posts
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Locking hubs

Reactions: Howard70 and jes2

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness Magnetite Grey
53 Posts
Seems like hydroplaning could be an issue with those BFG trail terrains. With that continuous shoulder there is no exit path for water.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
The Wildpeak was made for the Outback/crossover. They are the perfect tire. It's hilarious people are running KO2's and the like. Get a jeep.

The Falken A/T Trail wasn’t made “for” the Outback, but for crossover type vehicles in general. I’m running them and they are fine tires, but the K02 is just that extra but more.

While some may complain about noise, the K02 is an extremely strong tire and significantly reduces the chance of tire failure. This is even more important for those who do venture off road.

The K02 also looks cool.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited
295 Posts
The Falken A/T Trail wasn’t made “for” the Outback, but for crossover type vehicles in general. I’m running them and they are fine tires, but the K02 is just that extra but more.

While some may complain about noise, the K02 is an extremely strong tire and significantly reduces the chance of tire failure. This is even more important for those who do venture off road.

The K02 also looks cool.
:rolleyes: I said Outback/crossover.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,420 Posts
Has anyone on a Gen 5 or 6 had a tire failure of any kind aside from nail/screw punctures?

The K02 isn't nail or screw proof - it may be more cut and chip resistant for use over sharp rocks or doing the Baja 500. To me, using the K02 on a crossover will compromise the ride and handling on-road too much, just for a theoretical superiority in conditions the tire will never encounter. It's overkill. It's like wearing hiking boots on your daily jog.

But if you really are going to be driving over sharp rocks frequently because that's what your environment is, then it could be the right tire for you. If your daily jog is over rocky terrain then light weight trail runners might not be ideal and jogging with hiking boots make sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts