Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon, 2005 Outback 3.0 (not running),2015 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the age of these cars, does anyone salvage good windshields from the wrecker to fix cracked ones? Is it worth the risk of an older windshield after you add the labor to install?

I hate putting in a new one on an 01 that I am not sure how long I am going to keep.

Thanks.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,170 Posts
Thats what I have done around here, and between myself (did on a 93 leg) my dad did on his 98 forester, and my brother just did on his 99 outback.
The local junkyard lets you pick one out ( a always look for a low mileage car with OEM Subaru glass still in it, look for pits chips scratches), then the junkyard removes it, and charge total of 60 for the windshield out the door.

Then you get the new caulkiing rope at a parts store, and cut your old one out with piano wire and some wood handles to wrap it and it will get hot you need to go to fresh parts of the wire to prevent burning it out....(wear gloves and eye protection while removing the old one). Prep away, might need some new top plstic guide clips from the dealer, and might need some new trim clips too....Oh, be careful cutting out your old one, It is pretty easy to not pay attention and slice thru the headliner where the sunvisors go. :)) I did that once). The top guide clip plastic parts align the glass so you really do need them they are cheap at the dealer. Also, as a window sets up on the goo, it tends to want to sag and sink lower so make sure you have something to hold it in place at the bottom (wood blocks etc) and plenty of tape once installed to hold in place several days...

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon, 2005 Outback 3.0 (not running),2015 Forester
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, make a lot of sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts