Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
LLB Outback 2001, 275K
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

Driving up from Denver today I'm pretty sure I blew a cylinder. I own a 2001 LL Bean Outback. 275K. I'd been noticing less power when pushing the gas lately. Today, I'm cruising along and the car stats to sputter. I look back and there is a ton of smoke coming from my vehicle. It's visible from the rear view. A lot of smoke. I pull off to the side and pop the hood.

Oil everywhere.

At that point I figure the car is cashed so I see how far it will get me.

Surprisingly it got me home, about 60 miles from the spot of the incident (all uphill).

Questions:

1) Any thoughts on what happened?

2) I'd been looking to sell this girl anyway. What could I expect to get for a 2001 LL Bean with issues?

Thank you kindly for any consideration given to this post.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Oil all over under the hood could be the smoke you see out back. 2001 - major oil leak would seem to be the cause. It got you home because it didn't run out of oil on the correct side of the engine ie the inside.

Valve covers can leak pretty bad and make a mess if ignored. Loss of power would be that leaking oil damaging the sparkplug wires and fouling up the spark plugs. Given it got you home that is my best guess with no other details like maint history etc.

·
Registered
LLB Outback 2001, 275K
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subiesailor-

Thank you for your reply. Any guess on the price for a car like this? The car does need to have the rocker arm replaced in the front and shakes/rattles between 50-55mph.

Outside of that, all glass is good, body is good, paint is good. Just a used old Subaru.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just valve cover gaskets - don't let anyone talk you into valve adjustment even the dealer friend of mine said the 2001's they never messed with the valves unless there were other issues and they needed it etc.

Maybe $300 to pay someone to do them maybe less. Never did mine sold it at 180K and the valve cover seals were just starting to show early signs of needing to be done at some point down the road.

Never pays to sell a known used car with known issues and buy an unknown used car with unknown issues.

·
Registered
LLB Outback 2001, 275K
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice! Thank you again.

Any idea on what I might ask for a car in this shape?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hard to say - used car prices are stupid high these days. I sold mine back in late 2009 100% working full service history 180,000 miles - I had just done a 2500 mile road trip 6 months prior with it zero issues. Sold it for $1500 dealers would only give me $1000 for it on trade. Replaced it with a new 2010 2.5 limited - needed the wider larger back seat for my kids. Still wish I had the 2001 GT limited though fantastic car

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Post it with pics in the classified section of this forum site and CL and see what comes of it. If everything is in good shape, seats, doors, fenders and other body parts, you may be able to part it out for more than a straight up sale.

3.0 engines are hard to come by and rebuilding it is pricey. If it is something simple to repair, it may be in your best interest to make a list pros and cons and where your budget is.

Running bad prior could have been anything. The sudden loss of power and the oil indicate something gave. It could be something like a PCV valve stuck and the pressure found an easy route out.

Did you keep oil in it the remainder of the drive and was there any knocking?

·
Registered
LLB Outback 2001, 275K
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kept oil in and no...no knocking.

Thank you for the response. I have guy coming by to look at it today. We settled on $1800 as the price. Do you think that's acceptable? Again, I'm firmly aware you know close to nothing about the car. I guess the question is - what can I really expect out of a car with 275k? Maybe $2,000? Do you know a better (I'll not use the term best) case scenario on the high side?

Thanks cardoc. I appreciate your time on this one.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
I kept oil in and no...no knocking.

Thank you for the response. I have guy coming by to look at it today. We settled on $1800 as the price. Do you think that's acceptable? Again, I'm firmly aware you know close to nothing about the car. I guess the question is - what can I really expect out of a car with 275k? Maybe $2,000? Do you know a better (I'll not use the term best) case scenario on the high side?

Thanks cardoc. I appreciate your time on this one.
If the engine is running and there is no smoke out he tailpipe, shoot for 2k and go from there.

·
Registered
LLB Outback 2001, 275K
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cardoc-
thanks. I just negotiated to 2k and the gentleman said yes. Motivated buyer I assume. Said he was a mechanic so I'm assuming hes going to rebuild it and is aware of the downside.

Again, really appreciate the insight/guidance here. Very generous of you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts