Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback - 2.5 Touring
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 2015 Outback Touring for less than a week. Took it on its first trip up north (250km) last night and everything was fine. Parked it on a bit of an incline last night so I put the parking brake on. First time using that. I tried to start it this morning but nothing happens. Engine doesn't tick or turn over. Lights, stereo and Fans all seem to be working fine.

I can't seem to get the parking brake to disengage (read about using the accelerator to release it in the manual but that didn't seem to work).

Have called the dealership and they aren't sure, waiting on a tech to call me back, but thought I'd check if you fine folks have any ideas for me to try.

·
Registered
2015 Legacy 2.5i Limited - Twilight Blue
147 Posts
I don't think using the accelerator to disengage the parking brake will work unless the car is running.

Since you're in Canada, do you have CVT or manual? Could be the clutch or brake lockout switch isn't releasing correctly.

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
Had my 2015 Outback Touring for less than a week. Took it on its first trip up north (250km) last night and everything was fine. Parked it on a bit of an incline last night so I put the parking brake on. First time using that. I tried to start it this morning but nothing happens. Engine doesn't tick or turn over. Lights, stereo and Fans all seem to be working fine.

I can't seem to get the parking brake to disengage (read about using the accelerator to release it in the manual but that didn't seem to work).

Have called the dealership and they aren't sure, waiting on a tech to call me back, but thought I'd check if you fine folks have any ideas for me to try.
Obvious question - presuming yours is a CVT, is the gear selector in Park or Neutral?

·
Registered
2015 Tungsten 2.5 Limited w/eyesight
227 Posts
How about having you foot on the brake when you try to start the car?? Do you have push button start or key??

·
Registered
2015 Outback - 2.5 Touring
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is an automatic and it was in park. 15 years of driving stick did me in. Dealership called back. Had to shift the car in to neutral and back into park to get a little switch to engage. Started right up. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
Car is an automatic and it was in park. 15 years of driving stick did me in. Dealership called back. Had to shift the car in to neutral and back into park to get a little switch to engage. Started right up. Thanks guys.
Thanks for following-up on this. I'll "file" that info somewhere in my brain in case I ever experience a non-start event. Does your dealer think the switch may be defective?

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me just this morning. Very frustrating. I ended up getting out of the car, locking it, unlocking it, getting back in and trying again. It started up. Very annoying. Second time this has happened in one week.

·
Registered
Outback 2015 2.5i Crystal Black Silica
23 Posts
I have experienced similar disagreement with mine the last couple days... Car wont start and then for no reason it does... got it towed back to dealer with just over 1000 km on the counter... being closed to -30c, Im happy that nothing serious happened to me or my family.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium, Wilderness Green, w/ Eyesight, Power Tailgate
23 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to me this morning with temps at -2F overnight. Car wouldn't start. Used the shift override button to put the car in neutral and back to park a few times. Then it started but got an "AT Oil Temp" light. Turned the car back off, restarted and then everything was fine... no warning lights. Anyone else running into similar issues in (very) cold temps?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got off the phone with the dealer and they know the problem, as it has been already summitted to Subaru Canada. 4 Relays (switch for ignition, heater, radio and heated seat) behind the dashboard and some condensation cause that trouble. they are working on a solution as we write...

·
Registered
23 Posts
One solution to bypass the problem if it happens again before they do a recall is to leave the key in the ignition in the accessory position couple of minutes to heat up the relays before going fully to Start (so said the Subaru Dealer here)...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just had the same thing happen to me this morning with temps at -2F overnight. Car wouldn't start. Used the shift override button to put the car in neutral and back to park a few times. Then it started but got an "AT Oil Temp" light. Turned the car back off, restarted and then everything was fine... no warning lights. Anyone else running into similar issues in (very) cold temps?
same thing happened to me last saturday... car is now at dealer and they will change those defect relays to try to eliminate the problem...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
One solution to bypass the problem if it happens again before they do a recall is to leave the key in the ignition in the accessory position coouple of minutes to heat up the relays before going fully to Start (so said the Subaru Dealer here)...
What's the snow like up there nowadays? Haven't been there for a couple of years ....

·
Registered
23 Posts
What's the snow like up there nowadays? Haven't been there for a couple of years ....
snow could be better, but at least with those temperature we are able to produce what mother nature isnt giving...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
snow could be better, but at least with those temperature we are able to produce what mother nature isnt giving...
It was marginal at Whistler/Blackcomb during X-mas as well... but, in higher elevations, it was perfect! Typical Whistler hit or miss snow situation ...
as I remember, you have much lower temps than just anybody in Canada....

·
Registered
23 Posts
It was marginal at Whistler/Blackcomb during X-mas as well... but, in higher elevations, it was perfect! Typical Whistler hit or miss snow situation ...
as I remember, you have much lower temps than just anybody in Canada....
Issued: 9:26 AM EST Thursday 8 January 2015

this morning it was -29 with out wind chill...
TodayThursday, 8 January
Increasing cloudiness. Periods of light snow beginning this afternoon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 17. Wind chill minus 38

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Blk.
34 Posts
Issued: 9:26 AM EST Thursday 8 January 2015

this morning it was -29 with out wind chill...
TodayThursday, 8 January
Increasing cloudiness. Periods of light snow beginning this afternoon. Wind up to 15 km/h. High minus 17. Wind chill minus 38
-38 C that's it!!! Try -47 C with the windchill. Sunday, Jan 4th in Saskatoon, Sk. :eek: Makes me questions my sanity of living here!

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Limited, 2006 Forester, 2004 OBW 2.5 (sold) . .
157 Posts
HOW exactly did you override to get the tranny out of gear??

Thx

1 - 20 of 294 Posts