Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
170 Posts
Battery tie downs and oil caps should be compatible across most of Subaru's lineup if not all. I plan on going with Perrin after they release their strut brace. Compressive tuning does intercooler shields if that is a dress up item you are into. I have one on mine and like it well enough.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
I'm just glad that there's no giant plastic cover over the engine. Looks so much better naked. A few dress items would stand out (I have a red nameless strut tower bar - not shown). Looks like it could use a pretty serpentine belt shield,

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback XT
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just glad that there's no giant plastic cover over the engine. Looks so much better naked. A few dress items would stand out (I have a red nameless strut tower bar - not shown). Looks like it could use a pretty serpentine belt shield,
View attachment 513700
The strut tower bar is also a performance upgrade right? Makes things stiffer?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
Yes everyone who has installed it says it makes a difference you can feel, whether its the nameless bar or the SSD bar. I have the red nameless one and a Perrin one is undergoing testing by another member.

Reactions: bx77 and Ken972

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
992 Posts
OutbackPilot - is the cover over your intercooler something that you bought, or is it something you made yourself somehow? Is it pretty good at keeping bugs and other little bits out of the intercooler fins? It seems open enough to not reduce intercooler cooling, but maybe that means bugs and such still get through?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
495 Posts
OutbackPilot - is the cover over your intercooler something that you bought, or is it something you made yourself somehow? Is it pretty good at keeping bugs and other little bits out of the intercooler fins? It seems open enough to not reduce intercooler cooling, but maybe that means bugs and such still get through?
Sure looks like one of these:

·
Registered
Subaru Ambassador: 2021 Onyx XT w lots of mods
50 Posts
Yes, the screen from Compressive Tuning. It keeps debris out and allows air to flow. The STB is a prototype from Perrin I am testing. It is a fantastic STB, is very easy to install and looks great.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
Can you comment on the effectiveness of the Perrin STB prototype?

Reactions: Ken972

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,034 Posts
Throw this on it...
It will add to it's reliability, the same theory stickers make cars faster.

·
Registered
Subaru Ambassador: 2021 Onyx XT w lots of mods
50 Posts
Can you comment on the effectiveness of the Perrin STB prototype?
I replaced the Nameless STB with the Perrin. I noticed no difference in performance as both are very effective at tightening the handling. I had difficulty installing the Nameless but that was due to a manufacturing defect that has since been corrected. Nameless gave me a complete refund. I personally prefer the look of the Perrin and will also be installing one on my Ascent. The STB is one of my most favorite upgrades.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback XT
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced the Nameless STB with the Perrin. I noticed no difference in performance as both are very effective at tightening the handling. I had difficulty installing the Nameless but that was due to a manufacturing defect that has since been corrected. Nameless gave me a complete refund. I personally prefer the look of the Perrin and will also be installing one on my Ascent. The STB is one of my most favorite upgrades.
Im a bit paranoid on these types of upgrades. The STB provides better steering and that is the only change correct? There is no change in ride comfort?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,448 Posts
If you asked me to give a blanket yes or no, I'd say it does not affect ride comfort at all, e.g. no added noise vibration or harshness, BUT Subaru's own strut tower bars feature a flexible joint which they claim provides the suspension improvement but without affecting ride quality. Subaru claims that the strut towers being allowed to flex in the vertical direction help with ride comfort but giving it lateral support helps with handling.

But if your strut towers are flexing vertically, then it also means the car is leaning a little bit more - it's like having a softer sway bar and limiting vertical travel would be like having a stiffer sway bar, so I think having a more rigid strut tower bar instead of a flexible one will improve handling even more, but theoretically giving the sensation of a stiffer front suspension - which to me is a benefit. Given that we have relatively soft bushings and tall sidewall tires, I don't think that strut tower flex is necessary for a smooth ride, and I would challenge anyone to drive my car and call it harsh - but after all the mods I have put in, the car definitely feels more nimble and athletic, but less of that "gliding on a cloud" luxo-barge experience.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Outback XT
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That is not the right link. That is for the older XT. New one is not yet available to the public. There are a few testers for it so probably soon but not yet.
Thanks I thought I drilled down by year but I dropped the ball on that one.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
170 Posts
The STI FTB sounds like its right in my wheelhouse. I don't believe its available however. Feature:Performance Parts|STI
I have one on my Crosstrek. Very nice part that I wish was available for the Outback. It was a little pricey relative to the alternatives, but nice to have an OEM accessory option particularly if that quality.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts