Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OB XT Ltd MT, Garnet Red
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that the responses to this question in an outback forum might not be the most balanced, but I'm willing to take that chance.

I have somehow convinced my wife to green-light getting an subaru legacy wagon gt ltd. However, she saw the OB in the showroom and liked it's beefier look. I had not really considered the OB b/c we don't really have any particular need for the increased ground clearance.

Anyone care to offer advice as to the best way to go? How much do you loose in terms of how the car drives as a result of it being higher off the ground? Also, I have read some complaints (again amongst the pro-Legacy crowd) that the OB suspension (esp. in the 2005's) is too "bouncy".

Look forward to your comments.

(Background information, if helpful: We have one kid, and anticipate a 2nd. Car will be used for general around town -- we have about a two mi commute and actually bike when weather is good. We do have some pretty winding roads in the Phila area. We do some camping, mostly of the "car camping variety" but some back country).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow, that lame a topic, eh? I can't convince anybody to weigh in on this?

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,106 Posts
I've driven both, as well as driving the Legacy in both wagon & sedan and both models with both transmissions (4 legacys overall). I've also driven the OB XT with both trannies.

Anyway I'm very familiar with the Philly area and Pennsylvania as a whole and I know how the roads are out there as well as how the winters ususally turn out. Personally I'd say to get the Outback, the main difference between the two is that the Legacy's suspension is tighter making it handle better but also ride worser. For its size and ride height the Outback really isn't too far behind a Legacy wagon for the most part, the main thing is the more pronounced body roll of the Outback. Although you'd have to be driving both cars fairly hard to be able to notice.

I'd say the main thing to consider is the ground clearance of the Outback. You say you don't have a need for the ground clearance? Well the thing is that you probably don't realize how handy that can become. Penn's winters aren't the best by any means and like you said (and I know) Penn has plenty of curvy roads, you could possibly slide off into a ditch on a snowy night. In a Legacy you'd more than likely get burried but with an Outback you'd either be able to get right out or at least have a good sense on hope that you could get out. Thats just one example, I'm just trying to say that having that extra ground clearance is somewhat of a precautionary measure to many different things. You may not always need it but it is sure good to have, it also makes the car safer as it has an increased ride height.

Just some things to think about :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. After much back and forth, the dealer near me is finally going to set me up w/ an "extended" (i.e. no salesman!) testdrive of an OB XT LTd manual. Would have driven it tonight, but he gave me some sort of odd song and dance about not having any dealer plates avail, so I went out and test drove and Acura TL instead. . .nice ride.

Anyhow, will take it up on Kelly drive tomorrow and see how she does.

Thanks again.

Rgombine

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still fairly wedded to getting a manual transmission, otherwise I think the 3.0 R or the VDC would have been good options -- they are a little nicer on the inside and have softer seats! That said, never actually drove one

I ultimately decided that we just "weren't ready" for a TL, even though the price difference was only about $1200 more than the Subaru Outback XT Ltd which we just purchased! We also liked the practicality of a wagon for carting around all the baby-related paraphernalia for our two year old.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
I looked at both, but my needs (read: mile long dirt driveway in snow country) dictated the much higher clearance that the Outback offers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so are you getting the XT or the 3.0? (I got the XT b/c I "need":18: manual transmission . . .it's nice!)

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
I got the OBXT Ltd. (MT). (I'm a manny tranny guy all the way). Check it out on my thread in the Outback XT section ("New owner, but not a new member").

1 - 9 of 9 Posts