Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else notice that the XT doesn't get the slick chromed exhast pipes found ONLY on the Legacy GT and on the Outback 3.0R VDC? The XT is the SPORT model, why the **** did they put the cool pipes on the GT and the VDC Outback, but not the XT??

Anyone know anything about modding these? They don't seem to offer them as an accessory, I wonder if dealers could order the ones for the VDC as replacement parts and install the on the XT? Looks like the rear bumber would have to be modified too. I know it may seem like a little thing, but I'm supposed to take delivery of my new XT this week, and I just think it would look so much better with the fat pipes.

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
I would just get aftermarket tips, like the sweet ones Borla has ;) Retaining the factory look is admirable but being unique altoghether, especially on such a unique car, just seems all the better. For any advice on what to get I'm always willing to help :D

Check out this link to see what I mean: Borla!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooo, those ARE cool. Have you looked at the tail on the XT though? I'm afraid you'd have to make little cutouts or something... I'll look at it more closely when I pick mine up. Silver XT limited...

God the waiting is killing me! :)

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
shizumaat said:
Oooo, those ARE cool. Have you looked at the tail on the XT though? I'm afraid you'd have to make little cutouts or something... I'll look at it more closely when I pick mine up. Silver XT limited...
Good taste! I think you'll certainly appreciate the XT's "True Might!" BTW, have you driven one yet? As far as the tips, I'm sure there will be tons of people who will be "tipping" their Outbacks. We may just have to follow their lead.

shizumaat said:
God the waiting is killing me! :)
WHAT!?! YOU'RE TELLING ME THIS!!! :p :D

·
Registered
665 Posts
The only problem I see with extending the tips straight back, besides as you mentioned the bumpers would get in the way, is perhaps it's a utility reason. The XT is raised .3 inches over the other models and does have a bit of the soft-road capability. Pipes that extend below the bumper may get really banged up at sharp angle of ascents so perhaps SOA decided not to extend it out like say an Infinity FX45. I agree, for a sport wagon for the road, it'll look cool though!

Jay

·
Registered
137 Posts
I definitely like polished tips. The Borla's do look nice.

Subaru sent me a card to test drive a new OB and will send me a $25 VISA gift card for my trouble. I guess I can oblige SOA and ride on down to the dealer.

·
Registered
665 Posts
No fair! I never got this $25 card and I just BOUGHT a subaru!! My first Subaru, actually though I've always liked the outback. :D

Jay

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another note... I was incorrect about the 3.0R VDC USDM having the nice tips. I was mislead by the photos on need-desire.com. They did warn that they may not be US spec, and they weren't. Pity, because I like the low profile roof rails better too. Check out the Aussie site: www.subaru.com.au and you'll see that the Aussie 3.0R get's the nice exhaust tips... which may preclude comments that they would be a detraction for "soft roading" since the australian reviews seemed to think it was excellent off road.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm kinda surprised you guys don't get the same tip treatment we get here, ALL levels of current Outback in Australia get the dual chromed tip treatment. They are well clear of protruding from the bumper so wouldn't affect the off road ability at all as far as I can see. It's a good look IMHO. But then the Legacy 2.0 here only has single exhaust when all the others get dual.. I'm sure there's some marketing guru responsible somewhere saving the company $2 on every tipless Outback ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
6 Participants
jedimaster
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing