Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove an '07 OBXT 5 speed today, really liked it but the clutch pedal is surprisingly stiff. The owner (it is a one owner car) said it has always been that way. It seemed to work fine, just a lot stiffer than anything else I have driven. Amply thoughts?

Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
The clutch is Hydralic, so it has probably gotten stiff over time, More than likely the pressure plate needs replacement or the Lubrication on the TO bearing is gone, either way the Transmission should be removed for inspection of the clutch.

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has 57,500 miles on it. Does it seem likely that the car would have those issues at that mileage? Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
the least amount of miles I have put a clutch in a Subaru was 1500 Mi. (2005 STi, 18 y/o 1st car) Clutch life depends on Driver skills, driving type, Load etc. Long commutes with little stop and go with little load is ideal. In town stop, go, hill climbing, towing etc not so much. The Hydraulic clutch in the model you described has some feel, but Hyd Clutches gained use for thier user friendliness, esp with women. Lite pedal application is part of the User friendliness.

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe, the local dealer said pretty much the same thing. They get stiff(er) as they approach end of life and there really isn't anything that can be checked without pulling things apart. I suppose then that you drive the car until the clutch starts to slip or the pedal gets too stiff to tolerate. What is the going rate to replace a clutch? Doug

The clutch is Hydralic, so it has probably gotten stiff over time, More than likely the pressure plate needs replacement or the Lubrication on the TO bearing is gone, either way the Transmission should be removed for inspection of the clutch.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
Never driven an XT, but from what I've heard, they do have a much stiffer clutch stock than other 5 speed Subarus.

clutch pedal has very stiff resistance - Subaru Forester Owners Forum

I can tell you that my 2003 Outback with a hydraulic clutch is extremely smooth and easy. It's actually a pain to drive with thick boots because I can hardly feel any resistance. The cable clutch in my '99 Impreza is actually harder to push and has a longer throw.

Good luck. I suspect that nothing is wrong with it, just that'll require getting used to.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
Compared to what car? And how stiff? My Outback clutch pedal has always been much stiffer than my 944. New clutch kit with freshly greased throwout bearing didn't help one bit. The sleeve looked fine too. It is what it is.

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have driven my brother's Mazda Speed3, a Ford Focus ST and an '11 WRX. The OBXT has a MUCH stiffer clutch than any of them (all have more power), I would say at least 2x as stiff. Neither my closest dealership or the tuner shop I called (Goodspeed Performance) seemed to think the clutch should be particularly stiff and it seems to me like they should know... Doug

Compared to what car? And how stiff? My Outback clutch pedal has always been much stiffer than my 944. New clutch kit with freshly greased throwout bearing didn't help one bit. The sleeve looked fine too. It is what it is.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
277 Posts
You really need to find another Outback to compare it too. The power of the car has nothing to do with the clutch pedal feel. It's all about the master cylinder/slave cylinder piston size relationship and the leverage arm of the actual pedal itself.

I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong with yours, but saying that my dad's uncle's cousin's Mack Truck has a lighter clutch throw than my Pinto doesn't really help diagnosis. :D

·
Registered
'97 5 spd. w/ a few mods
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Understood :) Clearly driving another OBXT or LGT would be ideal, alas I am not aware of any others FS locally...

You really need to find another Outback to compare it too. The power of the car has nothing to do with the clutch pedal feel. It's all about the master cylinder/slave cylinder piston size relationship and the leverage arm of the actual pedal itself.

I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong with yours, but saying that my dad's uncle's cousin's Mack Truck has a lighter clutch throw than my Pinto doesn't really help diagnosis. :D

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,256 Posts
Compared to my Impreza with the cable clutch, it's super easy. Sorry I'm not much help; as I said, I've never driven an XT, but the link I posted should give you some insight as to what other people's opinions are between N/A 5-speed Subarus and Turbocharged with respect to clutch resistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts