Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All, Been lurking and posting randomly here, and finally took possession of my 2018 OB Limited 3.6r this week. Purchased long distance and had it shipped and some stuff installed prior to having even driven it. I am pretty happy with everything so far, with the exception of the 71mph Shutter in the driveline. It sure is not the 5 previous Audis that I am coming from, but it checks most of the boxes, at ½ the cost of ownership…

Specs are:
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
Magnetite Grey
Black Leather
Eyesight
16% Discount

Mods so far:
SSD Strut Tower bar
20mm Sway bar
Traildogck Bushings
RS-R Springs
LED Upgrade
Legacy Sport Grille
Legacy Sport Mirror Caps
Tinted
Black Vinyl & Xpel Window Trim
BBS Forged Wheels 18X8.5 et38
255/55/18 Continental DWS-06 Tires
STI Front Brake Swap
AFE Drop in Filter
JDM Wheel Arches (waiting for them to arrive)

Wheels are OEM from a Mitsubishi EVO X. having done a bit of homework, they are a direct fit with a few parts and at a fraction of the cost of any new genuine BBS wheels. I bought them on the EVO forums and had them powder coated. All in, less that $1100 which IMO is a steal.

If you wanted to use a set, you would need the following:

Lug Nuts (ONLY THESE WILL WORK TO MOUNT THE WHEELS)

Black Toyota Lexus OEM Style Mag Lug Nuts 12x1.25

Centerbore adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JN0NW02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

STI Front Brake Swap (need a good pic of the caliper behind the wheel)

I purchased the Calipers off of Ebay:

Rotors (need to be changed as well for the swap)

Brake Lines

StopTech 950.47507 Stainless Steel Lines

StopTech 950.47508 Stainless Steel Lines

Front Pads

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads&group=HPS+Street+brake+pads&partNum=HB453F585&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+5-Door&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=STI+Limited

Still more to come....

·
Registered
2012 Legacy 2.5i Limited | 2017 Outback 3.6r Touring
159 Posts
Love the progress.

Would you say that your tires are closer to the front struts or furthur compared to stock setup) with this offset and tire width?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
363 Posts
I'm usually indifferent at best to "mods," but that's really nice.

Are you sure the driveline shudder is not a rear wheel out of balance? About 71-72 mph is usually right where that shows up.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I recommend just buying a different car....Then everything will be changed instead of just a few dozen items!!! :laugh:

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,118 Posts
I recommend just buying a different car....Then everything will be changed instead of just a few dozen items!!! :laugh:
Lets not forget the performance sway bar bushings, add those to the ongoing list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's clean. Love the vinyl wrapped window trim.

I didn't know you could drop in a Legacy Sport Grille - isn't that just a gloss black version of the stock grille? Does it bolt right up?

Are you blacking out or removing tailgate badges? - only chrome left.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Yeah that window trim. I'll be doing that.I have the same car.

Was it a kit or?

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
Do you have a Touring? I'd like to see the look if nothing else is changed. The chrome around the windows is certainly a bit much. I'd rather draw less attention than more....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the positive comments!!! We all have our own taste, and while I'm not trying to build a race car etc..I like things the way that I like them.

Love the progress.
Would you say that your tires are closer to the front struts or furthur compared to stock setup) with this offset and tire width?
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
I actually am not sure. I never even saw it with the tires that came with it. Looking right now, there is still room between the strut & tire..

Lets not forget the performance sway bar bushings, add those to the ongoing list.
I have you listed...:grin2:

That's clean. Love the vinyl wrapped window trim.
I didn't know you could drop in a Legacy Sport Grille - isn't that just a gloss black version of the stock grille? Does it bolt right up?
Are you blacking out or removing tailgate badges? - only chrome left.
The grille was a straight swap. I don't mind a little chrome, in the way of badges. If I were to do something with them, Id have them sprayed a matte/satin silver finish.

Was it a kit or?
No kit. My buddy owns a high end shop and wrapped them and then covered them in Xpel (so they don't chip or get scraped..

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
471 Posts
Car looks good! I have a lot of similar mods as you do. I never realized how the 255 width tires really pop out nice. I got 245s and it's full, but next time I'll go 255 for even fuller look. :grin2:

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Outback
276 Posts
Are those SS brake lines a direct swap and no modification need? Are they the same length as the stock? I ask because I have a 2" lift kit on mine.

Would 17" WRX rims fit with the STI front brake calipers?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
I have a limited.

We didnt buy the touring because I wanted the more utilitarian roof rails, and I hate chrome.

I wonder if plasti dip would be better on that trim

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This car looks badass! How much in total was for breaks upgrade to sti spec? Thinking on doing the same.
Depends, on how inexpensive you can get the calipers for used. I got an incredible deal and am all in for $800; calipers, pads, SS lines (F&R)

Car looks good! I have a lot of similar mods as you do. I never realized how the 255 width tires really pop out nice. I got 245s and it's full, but next time I'll go 255 for even fuller look. :grin2:
Thanks for the info via PMs. My offset is et38 why I went for the setup. Not sure that it will work anything higher than et40. I personally like the look of meaty tires.

Are those SS brake lines a direct swap and no modification need? Are they the same length as the stock? I ask because I have a 2" lift kit on mine.

Would 17" WRX rims fit with the STI front brake calipers?
I know that they said that they had to modify the tab that mounts the line to hold it down to the strut. I do not know if you'd need a longer line for a lifted OB.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts