Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2010 Outback with a split CV boot on the driver side outer end (wheel side) of the axle. After looking at three different online parts stores, I see that the "boot kit" they offer is for the inner (transmission end) of the axle. The exploded views show a number 2 pointing to the boot I need, but number 2 doesn't appear in the parts list for ordering. It seems to me the outer CV would be the one that fails more often.

Can you buy just the outer boot kit?

If so from where?

And does anyone know the part number?

Thank you,
Kris

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
do you know how long it has been split? is it clicking when you turn? is it original part? how many miles on the axle?

check rockauto, amazon - Beck_arnley and others make boot kits, probably Subaru as well - local dealer probably fine for this, better if you find on-line price and have them match.

but, If it's been exposed for a long time, you might do better getting an axle from car-part.com, regreasing and rebooting it.

inner joints are much more protected from the elements and rebooting it is a decent gamble, outer joints though.....if you caught it quick, might be OK but.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't click. And the car has 181K on it. So I'm in "preservation" mode limping it along trying to ease it into city life where it'll be a good city car which isn't driven as much. Let's call it car hospice.

Anyway I still can't find a the Subaru part for the outer boot kit. It seems like there should be part number for it based on the exploded view which is confusing.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,619 Posts
call a dealer and ask for part number, pricing and availability?

·
Registered
'01 OBW 3.0 VDC 184,000 Miles '19 OB 2.5 Base <2,000 Miles - Formerly '14 Impreza Sedan 2.0 5spd 66,000 Miles at trade-in
330 Posts
Holy smokes, is that km or miles???

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Call subaru and ask.

It seems to me the outer CV would be the one that fails more often.
Not since about 2000. Before then articulation of the joints (steering) would eventually where the outers out first.

2000+ outers have more robust material and added convolutions and now out-last the inners now which are subjected to exhaust heat causing degradation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts