Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 outback is over heating intermittently so i changed the thermostat. The problem is still occurring and i do know what the problem is now.

Symptoms include

1. Red lining temps
2. Reservoir becomes full and fluid leaves from the reservoir cap. (NO leaks from radiator cap)
3. No cabin heat

Is it the water pump? Help me!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,349 Posts
What kind of tstat did you use? If you didn't use a Subaru one, get one. Aftermarket is junk for this part.

Did you burp the air from the system?

Cross your fingers the headgaskets aren't blown.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
not likely water pump.

these engines have notorious headgasket issues so don't run it hot at all.
you might already have headgasket issues...but hope for something lesser like he just mentioned.

radiators can clog too.

if you recently bought the car then it likely got dumped with an existing headgasket issue, happens a lot unfortunately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it was burped. Im also praying its not the HGasket. With a head gasket problem would i smell anti freeze burning and white smoke or could it be a small leak. Please inform me!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,349 Posts
That era engine typically leaks internally. Bubbles in the coolant overflow and/or radiator. Overheating. Sporadic.

Also, you didn't answer my question about the tstat. Did you use Subaru or aftermarket?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Yes it was burped. Im also praying its not the HGasket. With a head gasket problem would i smell anti freeze burning and white smoke or could it be a small leak. Please inform me!
Typical EJ25D (96-99 Outbacks) engines blow exhaust gases into the coolant which means:
1. superheated coolant that pushes and bubbles out the overflow tank
2. no cabin heat
4. random overheating

Leaking, compression, and oil/coolant mixing are useless tests on that motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i used an aftermarket tstat but looks like i need a new car. She had a good run with 206k. My goal was 250k but ill take what i got. Thank you for your help!

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,349 Posts
First, replace that tsat with a Subaru part. You may be lucky.

·
Registered
98 obw 2.5dohc..auto & 99 obw 2.5dohc...auto
147 Posts
Agreed. Try taking the t-stat out completely and burping the system. My aftermarket t-stat had sprung on me. Seriously, could be a ~$20 fix...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GOOD NEWS! Tstat was not the problem! Better news its not my Head Gasket! My Oil was not cloudy and the next fix was the radiator. With it being original it has now been replaced. This fix has allowed the anti freeze to cycle properly so no more symptoms.
I would like to thank everyone for the help and im still working my way to 250k.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback 2.5L Rio Red
51 Posts
c'mon go for 300k!!

EDIT: oops, sorry to bring this old post up. I'm gonna need to start a new thread on the engine smell I'm getting. d'oh!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts