Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2018 Outback Limited (Eyesight & Nav) 2 days ago and have noticed that the overall volume of the radio/BT/SXM/media is very low. We've turned it all the way to 38 (why is 38 the max?) and can still easily converse over it and have trouble hearing it clearly at speed. Has anyone else encountered this? Our son has a Crosstrek, volume goes to 50 and is very loud at 30. Ours is barely audible at 38.

I connected to my WiFi and it says it is up to date (Rel2.17.43.30) - curious what that actually means? Maps, software, firmware?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
971 Posts
We just bought a 2018 Outback Limited (Eyesight & Nav) 2 days ago and have noticed that the overall volume of the radio/BT/SXM/media is very low. We've turned it all the way to 38 (why is 38 the max?) and can still easily converse over it and have trouble hearing it clearly at speed. Has anyone else encountered this? Our son has a Crosstrek, volume goes to 50 and is very loud at 30. Ours is barely audible at 38.

I connected to my WiFi and it says it is up to date (Rel2.17.43.30) - curious what that actually means? Maps, software, firmware?

Thanks for any help.
No, I never have the sound turned higher than 8-10 unless I'm alone in the car and like a particular song. This holds true with FM or SXM. My Bluetooth audio streaming is usually a little lower, but that is controlled with the volume on my phone, and I can usually bring it up to parity.

You can't download a firmware update over Wi-Fi. You can either take it to a dealer, and they should be able to update it under warranty, or you can download the latest map update, which also comes with a firmware update. I installed it to mine last Friday and so far is working fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Try Settings->Sound->Entertainment Volume. There is also Settings->Sound->Aux Volume if you use the Aux input and Phone Volume and Nav Volume. In my wife’s Limited with Nav these were all set rather low by default.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep - tried most of those, but none of them result in volume that's anywhere near what I'd expect from a 576 watt amp and 12 speakers. I'd expect that at half or even quarter volume, I'd feel it. Or it would at least be loud enough to drown out road noise. It's almost like the amplifier is not powered on.

The odd thing is that when I save a station, the beep is extremely loud. But that setting (beep alert) is not even at full.

I downloaded the map (and firmware) update, but may just get the dealer to look at it first (since they still owe me another master key).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not true. Go to settings then WiFi and connect to your LAN while within reach of it and you can download.

On my '18 at least, not my '15.
Yes, but that wasn't what I meant. You can only download an update if Subaru makes available via that method. And so far for the 2018 model there hasn't been any, and there's now been three firmware updates since I bought mine in November.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You can't download a firmware update over Wi-Fi.
Not true. Go to settings then WiFi and connect to your LAN while within reach of it and you can download.

On my '18 at least, not my '15.
Whoa buddy, this is the FIRST time I have heard of anybody performing a software update over Wifi. I have tried the method you described about 100 times, but without success. Please confirm you actually completed a software update via Wifi.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
When playing over Bluetooth, you should increase volume of the host device.
Good point. You should crank up your cell phone (or whatever) to max volume. The car should be receiving the max signal and does not need the external device (cell phone) to lower the amplitude of the signal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: took to dealer yesterday. They applied the update via USB (and gave us second key), but no change in volume. They said the amplifier was not working and are ordering a new one, which makes sense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep - did that too. Volume was still low. Also, dealer said they tried a couple of other 2018 OBs - max volume on those was 39 (mine is 38?). Posted that they are going to replace the amplifier.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Iphone 8+ output volume is much less than my old Iphone 6s had. I have to run the volume at mid 30s in my O.B. when using Bluetooth. When using regular radio and XM I can lower my volume to mid 20s. I think my stereo plays at a lower level than it should, but my I phone is also causing problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thanks for any help.
Same problem, any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good point. You should crank up your cell phone (or whatever) to max volume. The car should be receiving the max signal and does not need the external device (cell phone) to lower the amplitude of the signal.
Cranked up BOTH to full volume - only a whisper came out

·
Registered
10 Posts
What year car is yours?

Does the volume work at a louder amount with FM/AM/XM? Or no? Does the volume not change at all, just stays at a very low volume?
2018 Limited, just bought it used from dealer, no louder FM/AM/XM, bluetooth etc...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
10 Participants
EarthBill
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing