Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
2018 Limited, just bought it used from dealer, no louder FM/AM/XM, bluetooth etc...
ok - making sure. The 2018 used a different head unit than the 2019... but, they both share an amplifier that was changed in later 2019 units (after VIN J3345456).

If it is the amplifier - what happens is the internal software logic in the amplifier, the head unit cannot judge status of the amplifier, so you get either full blast or no volume (you might hear it a tiny bit, but it won't change with the volume knob and the volume animation on the head unit).

The service department would get a new unit for you (it's just the amplifier)... you can also try resetting things, I had luck with that BEFORE the new amplifiers were available. Thread here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would be helpful if you put your car details in your signature line. See mine.
Do not know how to setup signature.
2018 Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, with Navigation ext Blue int black
2015 Forester
2005 Outback - sold
2002 Outback - totaled (hit by drunk driver while parked)
2002 Outback - flooded with saltwater during Superstorm Sandy

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
2018 legacy limited here. amp replaced several times on mine. im convinced its a wiring issue with the power supply to the amp but chasing those things down is not what automotive technicians really want to do. there is no resolution in sight other than to try your luck at a lemon law or trade it in at 35k miles when the warranty expires. its not a good answer, but its the boat 2018 limited owners are in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2018 legacy limited here. amp replaced several times on mine. im convinced its a wiring issue with the power supply to the amp but chasing those things down is not what automotive technicians really want to do. there is no resolution in sight other than to try your luck at a lemon law or trade it in at 35k miles when the warranty expires. its not a good answer, but its the boat 2018 limited owners are in.
My purchase was a lemon law purchase, will be in for the long run.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you said it was replaced a couple times before?
No, the navigation system kept on freezing and Subaru bought it back from the previous owner. The head unit was replaced and warranted then I bought it. The amp is bad and they are currently putting a new from factory unit into the car.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
10 Participants
EarthBill
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing