Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive be looking over this forum and cant find an answer. I did HG on my 1999 outback. after starting it noticed temp slowly rising felt the bottom radiator hose not hot. so i assumed thermostat not opening. Replace thermostat , same thing? Removed thermostat while still hot confirmed it was open. its like the water is not flowing through the system. Water in radiator not hot either.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 4AT implant JDM 2.0 NA
37 Posts
You need to purge the air from the cooling system before capping the radiator. Or bad water pump

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,708 Posts
^^^^ as said above, it can be tricky getting the air out. Nose of car up helps, sometime filling the block thru the upper hose first...

also, make sure you have OEM t;stat or Stant Xacstat. many aftermarket t'stats won't work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never really capped the radiator, and bad water pump? don't they leak or the bearing goes out? Purging just consist of toping it off? If the water is not circulating how do i get rid of air?

·
Registered
2005 OBW 4AT implant JDM 2.0 NA
37 Posts
Honestly..... I have always had issues getting them systems fully purged. Then I discovered fail safe thermostat. I highly recommend using the bypass style thermo

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,567 Posts
Make sure you have an OE Subaru thermostat in there. Aftermarkets don't work well (or at all).

Did you fill the coolant through the upper radiator hose? If not, pull it off and make sure the coolant is topped-off at the hose before putting it back on the radiator (this will greatly reduce the "air bleed" time). Top off the radiator, fill the overflow to the correct level, and bring the nose of the car up 6-8 inches.

Passenger's side top of the radiator should be a plastic screw: this is your air bleed. Unscrew it half way and let the car warm-up. When it starts to hiss, wait until it's a solid stream of coolant, then close. Run till fans cycle (on, then off). Drive around, keeping an eye on the overflow. Monitor for several days. Top off coolant level in overflow as necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts