Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Baja H4 EJ25 - heads rebuilt and new short block 10/14 -- AND 2004 35th Anniversary Edition OB H6
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 Outback 3.0
- pulling a 1500# trailer in 80 degree+ heat in foothills/mountains, started having an issue with temp. gauge approaching red line.
- we stopped at dealer. They tested and said cap was bad. replaced radiator cap (and fluid).
- seemed fine for awhile but if AC was added while the engine was under "any" load, problem would re-occur.
- We made it back to Minnesota babying the AC use...
- With no trailer, there are no symptoms at all - UNTil you add AC and you get stopped in traffic for 10 minutes or so.
- (and this was just at 70 degrees or so - flat ground)... at that point the temp. gauge moves right up again...
- I'm about to install new radiator, new hoses, new thermostat.
- I am also going to move my transmission cooler from in front of AC condensor to a location that doesn't restrict air flow.
- It seems AC may be primary culprit? Is there anything that would make it run hotter than designed...??
Is there ANYthing else I should be looking at/considering??
Thanks in advance for any thoughts offered.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
How does the radiator look? is it original and have 14 years of bugs in the cooling fins? if it does consider removing and hosing it off or replacing with a new one.

Is the radiator fan cycling on?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,788 Posts
Are you losing any coolant over time?
Dito the fan operation.

Usually, heating under load means thermostat issue, clogged heater core, bad radiator, or low coolant. If its low coolant then you would have to determine the cause for the low coolant. Also, sometimes techs don't burp the coolant system thoroughly and you get air trapped within which is essentially low coolant.

Worst case scenario is the head gasket started seeping when it overheated, whether it was a bad thermostat, cap or something else that caused the first overheat situation. H6 hg is more involved than the H4, so hopefully its not an issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts