Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4EAT
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year the dealer noticed my head gaskets were leaking after I told them my car overheated a week earlier. So they replaced them under warranty and well 6k later I was sitting in traffic today and my temp gage went up under the red and came back down and I could smell a strong odor of coolant as I was idling. I noticed the reservoir was almost empty but I didn't notice anything leaking...I'm taking it back to the dealer tomorrow to have it looked at..On another note I have several friends who work at the subaru dealer where my car was serviced and I asked them if they deck out the heads, send them to a machine shop to pressure check them and make sure there aren't any cracks or the heads are warped and he told me that this dealer doesn't do that. They just clean the heads off and put them back on. When I replaced my headgaskets on my old 98 outback I sent out my heads to be machined and everything before I put everything back together. My car has 79k on it now...it's an 08 2.5i auto thanks guys

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
most dealers do anything to the heads - they clean them up and reinstall.

it's probably just a coolant leak somewhere. that motor, when in like new condition, does not overheat due to headgaskets. it only overheats when the coolant gets low - due to leaking (headgasket or otherwise).

did they replace one headgasket or both (sometimes subaru only pays for one headgasket on warranty work like that).

on your car, you should have asked here first before they did the repair. the best headgasket to use is the Ej25 turbo headgasket (even for your engine, it fits), otherwise they just installed the same headgasket that failed in the first place.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well they replaced both....well my car was being serviced for something else and I had mentioned it had overheated and they told me my gaskets were leaking...I have been a subaru owner for the past 5 years I am no stranger to this problem..Yeah the turbo gasket is better, but since my car is under warranty I am just going to let subaru deal with it...and when it's all said and done this will probably be my last subaru...I hate to say it but they haven't fixed this issue with the headgaskets...My friend has an 07 outback and his gaskets were replaced too

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
gotcha, hopefully it's a simple leak this time...?

my last subaru...I hate to say it but they haven't fixed this issue with the headgaskets...My friend has an 07 outback and his gaskets were replaced too
basically all EJ25's have headgaskets issues, it is widely known.

basic run down:
96-98 (and 99 Leg/OBW) have internal leaking headgaskets
00 - 04 (and 99 For/RS) have external leaking headgaskets, usually coolant but could be both
05-10 have external leaking headgaskets that are usually oil leaks and get worse quicker than 00-04's

in general when buying a vehicle it is good to research the given engine or transmission. all manufacturers have some glitches and poorer engines/transmissions, best to find out which ones they are. the EJ25 is Subaru's worst motor and you can learn that before buying. keep that in mind in future purposes - try to research the given engine and trans if you want good reliability/ease of maintenance.

it is intentional that both of our newer daily drivers have the H6 engine and not the Ej25.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, well like I said this is my second subaru...I know these motors very well...I've rebuilt them...had the same problem with my old subaru so I replaced the entire motor and had it running fine until my waterpump failed. My reasoning for buying my car was because it was practical, and I know many loyal Subaru owners who swear by these cars, plus a WRX or STi was out of my budget...as well as an XT or 3.0R. Going from a 1998 Outback to a 2008 Outback was my idea, and still to this day I love this car...despite the problems I've had with it. Nothing is perfect every car has it's glitches some worse than others...But I am aware of the research when it comes to buying a car.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
you got some bad luck - EJ water pump failure is rare! that sucks! and now a repeat overheat? i can see why you'd be ready to fold on that hand...

did you determine what the current issue is? did you crawl under and look for any coolant loss or see any white smoke out the tail pipe?

right on - i'm just trying to help as a long time Subaru owner. i only stick with Subaru because of how much knowledge/experience i have with them. i'd like to learn other makes but don't have the time to make the same kind of informed decision. i've owned like 40 Subaru's and worked on plenty more. from a reliability stand point an older H6 engine would have been more reliable than a newer EJ25....but i'm a weirdo and look almost entirely at reliability of the engine (most Subaru trans being equal across the board) over everything else. it pays off in easily making 200,000 realiable miles without any engine glitches or repairs to speak of. 300,000 miles here i come. i've done it with 1980's XT6's....mid 90's Subaru's...and now 2000+ H6's...and hopefully when i get into the 2010's i'll find a good non-EJ25 platform in the FB engine! got a few years to work out the kinks and see the trends...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah if I were to buy another outback it would have to be a 3.6R...since my car is under warranty I'm letting the dealer deal with it...Otherwise I'd be doing the work myself

1 - 7 of 7 Posts