Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started with thermostat did all up to gasket.headgskt.worked for 5-6days then started losing coolant and overheating again.so disappointing.anyone have some tips? And if is the purge issue or heater core issue would I be losing coolant?and if is wouldn't I see the leak.thought had to be in combustion but haven't noticed exhaust smoke or rough running.any help very appreciated

·
Registered
994 Posts
There's been a lot of instances where people have swapped out head gaskets and water pumps to turn around and still be overheating. Generally, if you've been inside the system, it's likely to be an air pocket.

How did you try and bleed the air from the cooling system?

·
Registered
12,371 Posts
Started with thermostat did all up to gasket.headgskt.worked for 5-6days
What does that mean? I can't tell what you're trying to say.

Get all the air out of the cooling system.
Check for leaks - if you have one - identify where it's coming from.

If you replaced the headgaskets:
1. tell us why - what was it doing that made you replace them?
2. what brand head gaskets were used?

·
Premium Member
12,010 Posts
Started with thermostat did all up to gasket.headgskt.worked for 5-6days then started losing coolant and overheating again.so disappointing.anyone have some tips? And if is the purge issue or heater core issue would I be losing coolant?and if is wouldn't I see the leak.thought had to be in combustion but haven't noticed exhaust smoke or rough running.any help very appreciated
Did you use MLS gaskets?
Did you use turbo torque specs or OEM?
How many miles in the 5-6 days?
How low is the coolant in this amount of time?

You can have a coolant loss through the combustion and not have smoke. You can have a breech and not have oil and coolant mix. You can have the wrong thermostat in and it stuck, allowing the engine to overheat in spots on bank 1. If you didn't use a Subaru/Mahle thermostat, or an Xact stat, you put the wrong thermostat in. The ones from the part stores will fit but they are not made to the proper proportions to function properly for the boxer.

There is also a possibility that you didn't get all the air out and this caused flow issues. If you used MLS gaskets and this is the case, you may have squeaked by having to do the HG again. The single layer gaskets blow easily with overheating.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts