Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have a 1998 OBW with 218k miles. I bought it a few years ago with 140k. On the way home tonight, the car started to run hot and eventually pegged the gauge. I stopped every mile or so and nursed it home. When I checked, the overflow was full to the top and I lost cabin heat. I have had some minor coolant loss in the past and once or twice it would peg the needle after highway driving, but most of the time it would stay at 1/2 way and run fine.

I had recently topped off the coolant, changed the oil etc. I have never had any running conditions and have never seen any bubbles in the tank. If I recall, this car had the water pump and timing belt done at some point. I am unsure of the head gaskets. This is the first time I have had the gauge run hot and stay there and the first time the coolant backed into the overflow. I am hoping that I had an air pocket somewhere (although, I have driven about 200 miles since I serviced the car with one incident of high temps) My guesses are either HG's, air pocket or thermostat. What do you guys think? I love this car and am really hoping it isn't the head gaskets. I'm not sure it's worth the money, time or effort. Any chance it could be a stuck thermostat or am I looking at a heft bill? My understanding was that the HG's went well before this mileage and if I hadn't had the issue before now, I was OK.

Also, what can I do to check this besides top off and bleed the system and/or replace the thermostat? I'd like to be able to nurse this through for a couple weeks if it does end up needing HG's. Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unfortunately original HG's won't last forever on the EJ 25D.
Hope it is the T stat. Replace with oem or Stant's Xactstat #48457.
You can get a hydrocarbon test from the auto store to verify if HG or not.
Just don't let it continually overheat or you'll wear the bearings.

O.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
They fail at any mileage. 30k or 300k and everywhere in between.

Ideally you check for hydrocarbons, that's the definitive test for that particular year/model EJ25 - the EJ25D.

If it's not an air pocket or thermostat then yes it's likely headgaskets. you can test the tstat in a stove - boil it and it either opens or it doesn't.

Running that engine hot is a very bad idea. An EJ22 swap can be an economical alternative. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

People inadvertently label HG failures with a mileage. The sample size of vehicles that get the most publicity are the 100k-150k mark - so some folks incorrectly assume that's an average mileage. But correlation does not mean causation. Those mileages look accurate because low and high mileage vehicles have less visibility - low mileage vehicles are typically well cared for, one owner, paid more for it, worth more, and get fixed under warranty or by owners willing to just put the money into it without selling it or coming to a forum. High mileage vehicles get sent to scrap or dumped quicker without questions or concerns about getting any more - it's the proverbial straw (or freight train) that breaks the camels back..and there's just fewer cars with higher mileages. time, wrecks, rust, take them out.

The mid mileage vehicles are more DIY types, worth keeping, but not high repair costs so they get more internet air time, getting sold, passed around, people end up with issues, have questions. Those are the 100k-150k samples you see more of.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts