Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 10 day overland adventure into the remote high country of the San Juan Range of Colorado. Watch the latest episode on the 4XPEDITION YouTube Channel. You are going to love the adventure! Includes a midnight canoe paddle on high plateau lakes, a soak in one of the finest hotsprings in Colorado that you have never heard of, a subaru outback climb over Engineer's pass, and a paddleboard ride in the rain on Alta Lakes at 11,000 feet. You won't want to miss this episode!

Here is the link.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
Well, that's not good to hear! I figured as much, but was hoping CVT would help there. Maybe a dual case/lo range someday....

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,222 Posts
Well, that's not good to hear! I figured as much, but was hoping CVT would help there. Maybe a dual case/lo range someday....
last subarus made with "high low" may have been aussie market ones from 2003 or so.

US spec 1980s kind pop up occasionally,

____

alternatively you could rent a jeep or 4 runner,.....or just take a new one for a test drive.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thin air no turbo you need more HP. I ran the rough numbers for Brucys trip. At the upper altitude he was probably only getting 60-70hp to the wheels and the small steps he was trying to get over were enough to cause problems. The Ascent 2.4 would sure fix that problem?

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
I thought AUS Foresters had Lo range, but just looked and I'm mistaken. They do have 4.44 FD. Wonder if that would work in the Outbacks here.

Ascents look nice, but too big for me and I don't want to buy one just for this one trip. I don't do many high elevation passes. If I do, it would be cheaper to just rent a Jeep, or better yet, a RZR.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,222 Posts
I thought AUS Foresters had Lo range, but just looked and I'm mistaken. They do have 4.44 FD. Wonder if that would work in the Outbacks here.

Ascents look nice, but too big for me and I don't want to buy one just for this one trip. I don't do many high elevation passes. If I do, it would be cheaper to just rent a Jeep, or better yet, a RZR.
last outback I saw posted on this board, that had a aussie type forester high low swapped into it was a 2001.
(very rare that those trans get imported to the US).

_________

and Razors similar UTVs have a Achilles heal: a CVT that limits the ability to haul loads up mountain kind of grades.
so if you load 3 "amurican" sized adults on it, be ready for it to conk out, and one will be walking or waiting.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yes these passes I don’t get the full sized vehicle use. I would rent a dirt bike and enjoy the ride. Vs stress over wedging a highway legal machine through the ledges and switch backs. Or a RZR or similar.

When my kids hit HS I’ll probably get a small light ADV bike and hitch carry or trailer it to dirt adv rides. Pre kids I rode yr around to work. 60,000 miles by motorcycle between 2003 and 2009. I miss riding, but if I go back it will be minimal pavement and only dirt roads/trails.

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
The San Juan trails are extraordinarily scenic yet quite easy as far as 4WD HC trails go. They are also the "wheeling area" closest to Texas: 1+2+3=incredible crowds.

N/a H4s are inadequate at those elevations and upgraded tires, brake pads, and brake fluid should be the #1 mod for a Subaru tackling any of the trails in the area.

An Ascent could tackle some of the easier trails in the area, but I will be shocked to see one.

Even in Montana, where the forest roads are so friendly to Subarus and where few trails seem to require a more capable vehicle, we have been seeing plenty of Subarus on the bigger and/or smoother dirt roads and zero on the rougher dirt roads/easier 4x4 trails.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts

Ascents look nice, but too big for me and I don't want to buy one just for this one trip. I don't do many high
elevation passes. If I do, it would be cheaper to just rent a Jeep, or better yet, a RZR.
last outback I saw posted on this board, that had a aussie type forester high low swapped into it was a 2001.
(very rare that those trans get imported to the US).

_________

and Razors similar UTVs have a Achilles heal: a CVT that limits the ability to haul loads up mountain kind of grades.
so if you load 3 "amurican" sized adults on it, be ready for it to conk out, and one will be walking or waiting.
I don’t know. My friend’s 1000 Turbo he recently bought seems to have plenty of power. He hasn’t taken it up past 10k ft, but I’d imagine it would do ok.

But I wouldn’t mind doing it on a dirt bike, either. Trailer it like subie and do those trails in half the time.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,222 Posts
I don’t know. My friend’s 1000 Turbo he recently bought seems to have plenty of power. He hasn’t taken it up past 10k ft, but I’d imagine it would do ok.

But I wouldn’t mind doing it on a dirt bike, either. Trailer it like subie and do those trails in half the time.
I have seen pics of Razors up past the tree line in colorado on the jeep trails.

just trying to do work or make really steep grades with such a thing is a sad endeavor,...

and just searching for specs for that polaris 1000 turbo razor, come up with "tow rating = N/A",
so despite its 168hp not really a work horse,...and the payload is 740lbs. = 3x 247lb people. (925cc on that actually)

and those with 1000lb tow ratings are for flat land towing. ....like where a single steroid user can tow a jumbo jet.

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
I have seen pics of Razors up past the tree line in colorado on the jeep trails.

just trying to do work or make really steep grades with such a thing is a sad endeavor,...

and just searching for specs for that polaris 1000 turbo razor, come up with "tow rating = N/A",
so despite its 168hp not really a work horse,...and the payload is 740lbs. = 3x 247lb people. (925cc on that actually)

and those with 1000lb tow ratings are for flat land towing. ....like where a single steroid user can tow a jumbo jet.
Yeah, that's a lot of weight. Although, that engine isn't pulling that much vehicle weight, compared to an SUV. i.e. Rzr is 1,400lbs with 168hp, which = 8.3lbs per HP. An average 4,500lb SUV with 270hp is more than double that.

But gearing is a big factor. I'm not sure how low those Rzr's are geared.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
457 Posts
Just returned from a 10 day overland adventure into the remote high country of the San Juan Range of Colorado. Watch the latest episode on the 4XPEDITION YouTube Channel. You are going to love the adventure! Includes a midnight canoe paddle on high plateau lakes, a soak in one of the finest hotsprings in Colorado that you have never heard of, a subaru outback climb over Engineer's pass, and a paddleboard ride in the rain on Alta Lakes at 11,000 feet. You won't want to miss this episode!

Here is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8COCTZlF58&t=3s
Really enjoyed this, even though an hour long video of driving isn’t my interest. Likely as I used to spend 6 mos. of the year in Santa Fe (wife worked at the opera), mt. and road biked all over NM and CO. Plus we did drive trips and saw a lot of NM, CO., AZ., and Utah, so this is an area I love. I actually biked all thru SW CO. on the ‘99 Bike Tour of Colorado, but as it rained every solid day, saw none of what’s in your video !.

Good choice in books as well, Fire Season is one of my favorites.

So thanks for this if only as it reminded me of how much I miss the SW.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
440 Posts
I agree! My 2011 with 3.6 always had plenty of power. MY 2015 2.5 struggles and **** near whimps out on the tall hills. Even on paved oad up Poudre Canyon , Colorado the power was insufficient. If any thing other than city driving I would go the 6. I cannot even imagine tying to tow a light tent trailer at 10,000 feet.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
440 Posts
I recentley returned from the Rubicon Trail (Lake Tahoe,CA.) The RZR s on the trail did just fine. They completed the rail in half the time most jeeps did. What was surprising was to see a group of a dozen or so Suzuki on the trail. The Samori did exceptionally well. I now wish I had kept the Sami I had. I used it on Utah ATV trails as it would fit between the posts. Most were driven by women on a all woman trip.

I never saw a Subaru on the trail! Mine was parked at the trail Head. I recently heard that there is a fellow in the Rubicon Trail Association who doe run the RUBICON with a Subaru. I think it must be a highly modified Subaru Brat with Suzuki tranny and Transfer case.

I would definitley have a RZR in my garage along with the Samori.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I recentley returned from the Rubicon Trail (Lake Tahoe,CA.) The RZR s on the trail did just fine. They completed the rail in half the time most jeeps did. What was surprising was to see a group of a dozen or so Suzuki on the trail. The Samori did exceptionally well. I now wish I had kept the Sami I had. I used it on Utah ATV trails as it would fit between the posts. Most were driven by women on a all woman trip.

I never saw a Subaru on the trail! Mine was parked at the trail Head. I recently heard that there is a fellow in the Rubicon Trail Association who doe run the RUBICON with a Subaru. I think it must be a highly modified Subaru Brat with Suzuki tranny and Transfer case.

I would definitley have a RZR in my garage along with the Samori.
The rzr debate is odd for sure. Small foot print lots of power they do better than everything except built street legal jeeps.

Rubicon is between 6000 and 9000ft for the most part. Super technical but not power sucking 10,000+ ft like CO passes.
I did some trails up there not Rubicon level but reasonably challenging in the Sequoia with Gwagons. Stock sized tires but BFG Rugged Terrains. Even had the mommy running boards. Managed to not clip the boards lol. The lack of a rear locker and rocky crossed up climb was the only spot the Sequoia had issues. The G guys all were impressed with the stock Sequoia.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The rzr debate is odd for sure. Small foot print lots of power they do better than everything except built street legal jeeps.

Rubicon is between 6000 and 9000ft for the most part. Super technical but not power sucking 10,000+ ft like CO passes.
I did some trails up there not Rubicon level but reasonably challenging in the Sequoia with Gwagons. Stock sized tires but BFG Rugged Terrains. Even had the mommy running boards. Managed to not clip the boards lol. The lack of a rear locker and rocky crossed up climb was the only spot the Sequoia had issues. The G guys all were impressed with the stock Sequoia.
BFG Rugged Terains have been on all of my off road Vehicles. Excellent choice of tire. I think the Sequoia would be quitie similar to the 2002 Tundra that I put 200K miles and 3 paint jobs. I lost the running boards first trip. Then I put a little lift on it. Virtually undestructible except for my 71 stock FJ40. The Samori was a great vehicle but getting in and out was like a monkey humping a football.
Power sucking Mountains are the curse of any Subaru 2.5. Speaking of Colorado. The Tundra never blinked going over the top at telluuride and back country around Ourey. Did fine in Beaver Flatops around Craig Cyclone Park and Steamboat springs also above leaville , Silverton and Saiwatch.

At age 81 the Rubican was a priority on my bucket list of places to return to. I was first there in 1957 in a stock 1946 military Jeep. The trail has changed a lot. It is a lot worse. I think it could easily add Character to your Sequoia and you would probably go back more than once

I was glad to have a ride wth the folks from Rubiconadventures.com. Note they have about 80K inested in their not so stoc Rubicon Jeeps

·
Registered
2013 OB
106 Posts
I agree! My 2011 with 3.6 always had plenty of power. MY 2015 2.5 struggles and **** near whimps out on the tall hills. Even on paved oad up Poudre Canyon , Colorado the power was insufficient. If any thing other than city driving I would go the 6. I cannot even imagine tying to tow a light tent trailer at 10,000 feet.
Having to do it again, would you have bought a 3.6 instead of the 2.5?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts