Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am currently on Stage 2 and would love member feedback.
  • What am I missing?
  • What should I rethink?
Profile & Build Logic: I am a busy working professional with a 70 mile daily commute (100% on the highway). For that reason I got the 3.6R equipped with eyesight (hwy performance and autonomy). Additionally, the Outback w/ eyesight is one of the safest, least expensive vehicles to insure in Florida, with a strong resale value. I am a huge fan of Rallycross and I love remote, long travel, vehicle based camping (Overland Style).

Goals: My ultimate plan is to take time off from work and travel to all the most scenic National Parks. I hope to depart soon after Stage 6 is completed.

Timeline: Stage 1 (2019); Stage 2 (2020); Stage 3 (2020); Stage 4 (2021); Stage 5 (2022); Stage 6 (2023)

Build Stages:

Stage 1

YAKIMA LOADWARRIOR
BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2's 225/65R17 (x4)
RALLY ARMOR MUD FLAPS
SPARCO | TERRA | 17 X 7.5 | 5 X 114.3 (x4)
Yellow Fog Light Film

Stage 2
JDM Grill
Baja Designs PRO Fog lights
Baja Designs Squadron Pro Hood lights
LP AVENTURE - HOOD LIGHT BRACKETS (PAIR)

Stage 3
YAKIMA SPARE TIRE CARRIER
YAKIMA AXE/SHOVEL BRACKET
Maxtrax MKII Vehicle Recovery Boards
YAKIMA LOADWARRIOR EXTENSION
ARB 4x4 Accessories ARB3110A Awning
ARB AWNING PLATE KIT

Stage 4
LP SMALL BUMPER GUARD
LP REAR DIFFERENTIAL SKID PLATE
LP AVENTURE SKID PLATE
LP FRONT SUBFRAME SUPPORT PLATE GUARDS
LP CANISTER FILTER BYPASS

Stage 5
Primitive Racing ROCK SLIDERS
Primitive Winch Mount and Warn AXON 55-S Winch
HELLA Supertone Horns

Stage 6
Primitive Racing 1.5" Lift Kit w/ King Springs
Rear TOE arm -Multilink
RalliTEK Heavy Duty Front Adjustable End Links
BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2's 245/65R17 (x5)

I appreciate anyone's thoughts or suggestions. What am I missing? What should I rethink?
(y)

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
31 Posts
I have pretty much the same plans for mine. Since my '17 3.6R Limited already came setup with the tires and cargo basket, I plan on skid plates and the lift in my Phase II.

Since I'm a HAM radio operator, installing my 2m radio is probably going in phase II as well.

Phase III will be adding a Jerry can holder(s) for water/fuel. An extension for my cargo basket with additional support rails to carry my kyak.

Additionally I will be adding the spare tire carrier, and attachments for shovel and recovery gear.

Phase IV will be winch installation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,600 Posts
View attachment 469962

I am currently on Stage 2 and would love member feedback.
  • What am I missing?
  • What should I rethink?
Profile & Build Logic: I am a busy working professional with a 70 mile daily commute (100% on the highway). For that reason I got the 3.6R equipped with eyesight (hwy performance and autonomy). Additionally, the Outback w/ eyesight is one of the safest, least expensive vehicles to insure in Florida, with a strong resale value. I am a huge fan of Rallycross and I love remote, long travel, vehicle based camping (Overland Style).

Goals: My ultimate plan is to take time off from work and travel to all the most scenic National Parks. I hope to depart soon after Stage 6 is completed.

Timeline: Stage 1 (2019); Stage 2 (2020); Stage 3 (2020); Stage 4 (2021); Stage 5 (2022); Stage 6 (2023)

Build Stages:

Stage 1

YAKIMA LOADWARRIOR
BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2's 225/65R17 (x4)
RALLY ARMOR MUD FLAPS
SPARCO | TERRA | 17 X 7.5 | 5 X 114.3 (x4)
Yellow Fog Light Film

Stage 2
JDM Grill
Baja Designs PRO Fog lights
Baja Designs Squadron Pro Hood lights
LP AVENTURE - HOOD LIGHT BRACKETS (PAIR)

Stage 3
YAKIMA SPARE TIRE CARRIER
YAKIMA AXE/SHOVEL BRACKET
Maxtrax MKII Vehicle Recovery Boards
YAKIMA LOADWARRIOR EXTENSION
ARB 4x4 Accessories ARB3110A Awning
ARB AWNING PLATE KIT

Stage 4
LP SMALL BUMPER GUARD
LP REAR DIFFERENTIAL SKID PLATE
LP AVENTURE SKID PLATE
LP FRONT SUBFRAME SUPPORT PLATE GUARDS
LP CANISTER FILTER BYPASS

Stage 5
Primitive Racing ROCK SLIDERS
Primitive Winch Mount and Warn AXON 55-S Winch
HELLA Supertone Horns

Stage 6
Primitive Racing 1.5" Lift Kit w/ King Springs
Rear TOE arm -Multilink
RalliTEK Heavy Duty Front Adjustable End Links
BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2's 245/65R17 (x5)

I appreciate anyone's thoughts or suggestions. What am I missing? What should I rethink?
(y)
Your build is very closely parallel to what I am doing with my 2019 3.6R. However, Why not just get the BFG KO2's at stage 1? They will not rub I am not lifted and have them on Motegi MR139 with no rubbing.

As for Yakima why not go Frontrunner? And if must go Yakima (my 2nd choice as well) why not get newer Off-Grid looks cool. https://www.yakima.com/offgrid

Also, I recommend skid plates higher up the list will do more than anything else.

P.S. where in FL are you? I am in Miami.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have pretty much the same plans for mine. Since my '17 3.6R Limited already came setup with the tires and cargo basket, I plan on skid plates and the lift in my Phase II.

Since I'm a HAM radio operator, installing my 2m radio is probably going in phase II as well.

Phase III will be adding a Jerry can holder(s) for water/fuel. An extension for my cargo basket with additional support rails to carry my kyak.

Additionally I will be adding the spare tire carrier, and attachments for shovel and recovery gear.

Phase IV will be winch installation.

Looks really nice! I have been wondering about the Jerry can holder(s) for water/fuel. What brand do you recomend?

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What are your plans with this build?

I think the stock vehicle could visit most national parks.
Your build is very closely parallel to what I am doing with my 2019 3.6R. However, Why not just get the BFG KO2's at stage 1? They will not rub I am not lifted and have them on Motegi MR139 with no rubbing.

As for Yakima why not go Frontrunner? And if must go Yakima (my 2nd choice as well) why not get newer Off-Grid looks cool. https://www.yakima.com/offgrid

Also, I recommend skid plates higher up the list will do more than anything else.

P.S. where in FL are you? I am in Miami.
Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I currently have Stage 1 completed and am in the midst of procurement for 2 & 3. I have a set of K02 225/65 R17's on my Sparco Terra's now, I just don't keep them installed for my daily set-up. Since camping in Florida is NOT fun in the summer because it's terribly hot & humid. I typically keep them installed only during camping weather, plus down here... the 225's are plenty. Do you have the 245's on yours? I have a set of those as well (just by lucky happenstance), but nervous to install them. I have a vibration at 70+ mph with my factory 18's and when I put the 225 K02's on... it's much worse. Also, I got the "Load Warrior" for its total cargo capacity vs. the other setups. That being written, like the look and functionality of the "Off Grid" more than the "Load Warrior". I would consider a trade in the future if anyone is ever interested.

Regarding the Skid Plates... I think you have a good point. This is still a major internal struggle. You're making it easier (thanks again).

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am also considering purchasing this wheel and tire combo for my daily set-up and getting rid of the factory 18's, but money isn't cheap or free (so there's that).

**please note that I drive 70 miles per day on the highway (and am what some might consider... a "fast" driver) and wont go off road during the summer months here in the South.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm researching Jerry can holder's now.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,600 Posts
Thank you very much for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I currently have Stage 1 completed and am in the midst of procurement for 2 & 3. I have a set of K02 225/65 R17's on my Sparco Terra's now, I just don't keep them installed for my daily set-up. Since camping in Florida is NOT fun in the summer because it's terribly hot & humid. I typically keep them installed only during camping weather, plus down here... the 225's are plenty. Do you have the 245's on yours? I have a set of those as well (just by lucky happenstance), but nervous to install them. I have a vibration at 70+ mph with my factory 18's and when I put the 225 K02's on... it's much worse. Also, I got the "Load Warrior" for its total cargo capacity vs. the other setups. That being written, like the look and functionality of the "Off Grid" more than the "Load Warrior". I would consider a trade in the future if anyone is ever interested.

Regarding the Skid Plates... I think you have a good point. This is still a major internal struggle. You're making it easier (thanks again).
Yep, sure do have 245's and I drive well past 80 mph with no problems. Heck I have had it up up triple digits with no vibration. I just keep them about 40psi on-road and then drop them if go off-road. I actually sold my OEM 18's on Craiglist in like 2 weeks and god $600 for them.

·
Registered
212 Posts
For what it’s worth, I just put 255 55 18 Michelin Alpins on my 2017 OB Touring 3.6R. They are a performance winter tire and are actually made for a Macan. They fit fine w out a lift-kit. I was considering 245 60 18 Continental Terrain Contacts but since I don’t really do much off-reading I went with a tire that helps where I need it ...snow and ice. I spend much of October every fall in the Yellowstone area fishing and wanted a winter tire but without the roar of a Blizzack on the highway. So far these Alpins are about the same noise level as the Michelin Premier LTX’s that I replaced.

I really like your mods by the way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
There must be a bunch of us.
Mirrors my plans almost to a tee except I'll head out spring of 22 with a 2.5L.
I'm also searching for bonus fuel options - Rotopax is leading.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, sure do have 245's and I drive well past 80 mph with no problems. Heck I have had it up up triple digits with no vibration. I just keep them about 40psi on-road and then drop them if go off-road. I actually sold my OEM 18's on Craiglist in like 2 weeks and god $600 for them.
Then I have an unknown issue with my Outback that causes vibration at high speeds. Could be a bad wheel hub or perhaps something worse. Bummer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definitely get your car looked at. If it is doing it with both type of tires on different rims, then it may be a suspension or wheel bearing issue!

The dealer where I bought my car from called and said they found the original wheels and tires the original owner left.

I swapped them out yesterday since I'm wearing out my KO2's on my daily commute. I love my KO2 tires, but the Duelers are so much quieter and smoother!

My wife did point out how she already missed the aggressive looks of the Drag rims and KO2s.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Definitely get your car looked at. If it is doing it with both type of tires on different rims, then it may be a suspension or wheel bearing issue!

The dealer where I bought my car from called and said they found the original wheels and tires the original owner left.

I swapped them out yesterday since I'm wearing out my KO2's on my daily commute. I love my KO2 tires, but the Duelers are so much quieter and smoother!

My wife did point out how she already missed the aggressive looks of the Drag rims and KO2s.

I can feel the vibration with the OEM 18" Wheels and Tires, but it's less noticeable than with the aggressive tread. The real problem for me is the vibration. Hope it's just a hub issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can feel the vibration with the OEM 18" Wheels and Tires, but it's less noticeable than with the aggressive tread. The real problem for me is the vibration. Hope it's just a hub issue.
Do you have any issues with vibration when braking. Severely warped rotors can effect wheel balance.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1st. Thank you for the help. 2nd. I do not experience any vibration when braking. I double checked on my way back from gathering some last minute hurricane supplies today, but, very good point. Thank you again for helping me rule that out.

So, no vibration when braking... I feel it might be something worse :/

Here's the full scoop if anyone is interested. This is on top of the vibration that I have at 70+ mph

I also notice a very odd surging/lurching from the vehicle under heavy braking from highway speeds down to a stop (happens around the 25-->20 mph range). I also get a similar sensation under heavy acceleration up a steep gradient. Both are typically experienced after the vehicle's fluids are at operating temp. The feeling can be described as a: hesitation/surging/jerking/lurching for a brief moment around the 20-->25 mph range, but it's noticeable. Bought this Outback with 9K miles (Certified) and am having my private mechanic diagnose it on the 12th of this month. Reached out to a reputable Subaru Mechanic in Charleston, SC, but unfortunately got no response. Hopefully my mechanic ( who really specializes in Toyota & Mitsubishi) can diagnose it, so I can take to local dealer for the fix. Fingers Crossed.

Lastly, if parked on an incline or decline the transmission engages with very harsh mechanical noise and thud. Additionally, the vehicle can be easily moved/rocked back and forth 3-4+ inches when in park on a flat surface.

• Bad Hub?
  • Something in the AWD system?
  • Was this Outback towed... but not on a flatbed?
  • Bushings? Too new, right?
What could it be?

Any additional thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
put the car in N when parking, engage the e-brake, release foot brake so the weight settles on the e-brake, then shift the trans into P.
Totally works. I actually started doing this once I noticed the issue and my mechanic also recommended I do the same. Although it's a good band aid, I wonder what the root cause of the issue is and I wonder if it's fixable.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Totally works. I actually started doing this once I noticed the issue and my mechanic also recommended I do the same. Although it's a good band aid, I wonder what the root cause of the issue is and I wonder if it's fixable.
Yeah I think that’s normal for any auto car sitting on a incline/decline. As far as a wobble my brothers car had a random wobble solved by rotating the tires. My gf’s car (Cherokee) had a wobble under 20mph and it was fixed under warranty. The problem was the front axles. I hate wobbles. Have one in my truck I can’t find.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts