Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I bolted my heads on with new gaskets. After I was done, I realized that I had overtightened all of them them by a half turn. ( In the torquing instructions, the last two steps are to turn 90 degrees, then another 90 degrees, well I turned 180 degrees, then another 180 degrees) Yikes. Well, I backed them all off and started over and torqued them down properly. Could any problems arise as a result of this error? When I backed them off, they didn't seem super tight or anything.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
which engine (EJ25 no doubt - but what year and model or which EJ25) and headgasket did you use?

i installed a head that had some rough spots from the resurfacing on it. i had second thoughts and pulled the head to have it resurfaced again and folks that are well versed and experienced in Subarus told me not to reuse the HG. given the propensity for EJ25's to blow headgaskets i got a new one. if it was any other Subaru motor i would have been much more likely to reuse it.

that being said, i wouldn't be surprised if it held. so if you don't mind doing the job again or having them fail, have at it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the EJ25D DOHC. I figured since the first steps are to tighten and then back off until loose, they are designed to take this. I used the newest OEM gaskets.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Head bolts are normally designed to "stretch" to some extend (that is why one cannot reuse head bolts).
Stretch here means, the material "flows" to some degree if tensile pressure is applied to it ( following the iron/carbon diagram characteristics). Material flow of steel takes a little while, and one can assume that the bolts did not stretch yet. Because of this material characteristic, it should be save to use these bolts.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
you could do compression tests - in fact, comp test and maybe coolant system pressure test might be a good idea before firing it up.

not every HG failure mode is 'catastrophic'. - I'd be tempted to run it - but I'd be hyper-vigilant for drips/problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything I've read says that Subaru Head bolts are reusable so I'm not too concerned about the bolts. I'm more concerned about the gaskets. What is the technical reason that they would be less likely to seal now?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, that's kind of what I thought. Why gamble? More money, more time, holidays...etc. I can't really afford to spend more money or time on this and I know, I may be risking even MORE time in the future but... I'm so sick of working on this thing right now and I just want it to be done. I'm probably going to just give it a try and hold my breath.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
EJ25D is the one I'd be most inclined to replace for sure given the way that they fail instantaneously and have a higher probability of leaving you stranded.

the later EJ25's are more benign in that you usually have time, options, and can drive thousands of miles without issue.

you could do compression tests - in fact, comp test and maybe coolant system pressure test might be a good idea before firing it up.
it will pass those tests. any compromise during install usually shows itself later, over the time and stress of the extremely intense combustion environment. most of the work is also installing and removing the engine - which he would basically have to do in order to do a compression test. or spend a bunch of time/work trying to figure out how to spin the motor over out of the car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By start over, do you mean go buy new gaskets and replace or do you mean get the head tested for warp and everything?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
replace the gaskets. it isn't that much money or work. the engine is already out of the car. if you have to do it in a month it will be way more work and maybe some money.

replace the gaskets.

·
Registered
16,964 Posts
guess I missed the part about the engine still being out of the car.

yeah, I would have to re-do it. I couldn't bring myself to install it knowing something as critical as the HG may have just been installed incorrectly.

and yeah - from what I've read, the bolts are NOT torque to yield, and can be re-used. Can't imagine the extra half turn you put on them hurt the bolts - HGs are a different issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any input on the heads. I had them resurfaced before installing so should I get them rechecked or not?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok thanks for that. Darn, Darn, Darn!! I was so careful with everything up until then. This is so frustrating!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Do I have to get the heads checked again?
Why would you get the head checked if it was not heated/use? This little extra pressure on the head would not have caused any warping ass long as the head remained at ambient temperature.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Why would you get the head checked if it was not heated/use? This little extra pressure on the head would not have caused any warping ass long as the head remained at ambient temperature.
Whenever I do a HG job I get them checked out. We should all have are heads checked every once in a while. :p

Minor inconsistencies can cause issues.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
8 Participants
spadefoot
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing